Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Jørn Rudolph
Level 4
Level 4

KeyScrambler for Linux Mint ? (solved)

Post by Jørn Rudolph »

Well - Are there "KeyScrambler" for Linux Mint ?
Last edited by Jørn Rudolph on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings From
Jørn Rudolph
Copenhagen * Denmark
* Linux Mint, 19,3 Tricia * MATE *
Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Re: KeyScrambler for Linux Mint ?

Post by Lemongrass38 »

Hi, John Rudolph, I searched it and got:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... er-beater/
https://alternativeto.net/software/keys ... cense=free

I have never tried any of this.

As I've seen the FF add-on is still vulnerable to screenshots. I just don't understand... How could a program encrypt keystrokes and ensure that a keylogger can't get them? What if the keylogger is faster? After all, it's reading keyboard input, right? Couldn't a keylogger also do that? Maybe I'm wrong. Of course, if the kernel is changed, this can be done.

Another thing related to strengthening your browser is sandboxing (search Firejail in this forum or AppArmor) and using NoScript. These are pretty cool things. NS could stop a Javascript-based browser keylogger. Firejail could stop anything if it could break out of Firefox.

For e-mail, I guess Thunderbird might be a good idea as you don't browse with it, so you don't have to be afraid that you left a tab open and some Javascript is reading your keyboard, because you can just close your browser.

As I saw, Keyscrambler free is only for browsers, that's why I focused on browsers. Obviously this is not what you asked for, but these can do something similar.

One more thing: as Cosmo. said in another topic, there is no known attack to read your keyboard buffer when you're prompted for your Mint user password (built-in Linux thing).

If you're really into the topic, I suggest that you search AppArmor's wiki. As I've seen, that does something with the kernel, and if you can make restrictions at kernel-level, I believe that it's possible to tell which program can read the keyboard buffer and which can't.

http://wiki.apparmor.net/index.php/Main_Page
Last edited by Lemongrass38 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your issue is solved, please be so kind and indicate that by editing the topic title in the first post. :)
Jørn Rudolph
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jørn Rudolph »

Thank you VERY MUCH Lemonglass38 !

I will try the link from Firefox
Greetings From
Jørn Rudolph
Copenhagen * Denmark
* Linux Mint, 19,3 Tricia * MATE *
Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Re: KeyScrambler for Linux Mint ? (solved)

Post by Lemongrass38 »

Gladly done. :) Make sure to check out the NoScript addon too and the standalone Firejail program. I think NoScript is the best security addon for Firefox. I mean that a poor Javascript keylogger won't even load if you use NS carefully.
Last edited by Lemongrass38 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If your issue is solved, please be so kind and indicate that by editing the topic title in the first post. :)
Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. »

Side note: Don't mix Java and Javascript. Both are quite different things and have nothing in common except the similar name, which has brought already legions of users into confusion.
Lemongrass38
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lemongrass38 »

Cosmo. wrote:Side note: Don't mix Java and Javascript. Both are quite different things and have nothing in common except the similar name, which has brought already legions of users into confusion.
Thank you for noticing this, I'll try to remember that. :) I've edited my posts.
Cyberat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Cyberat »

I've used the KeyScrambler for Windows for many years, have not tested effectiveness but my browsers were always clean, fast & at most efficient speed.
One thing of note is that the Browser Protection has been added only lately (2016/2017 & beta/optional), the effect being that every text box I would type in would be slowed down to intolerable seconds between each char..
I would like to see one with a more infinitesimal delay when in browser, don't know what you think but I type around 25-35wpm and it seemed a crawl to me.
From what I understand, the KB input from the OS goes through the scrambler before reaching any application, becoming encrypted in a proprietary way, only to be decrypted inside the app. itself, kind of like a TCP protocol for your keyboard. The other one I'd like to see in Linux is PeerBlock, it alerted me to many app. & OS leaks & blocked connections to some very shady servers.
linuxheid
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linuxheid »

Lemongrass38 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:41 am
Hi, John Rudolph, I searched it and got:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... er-beater/
https://alternativeto.net/software/keys ... cense=free

I have never tried any of this.

As I've seen the FF add-on is still vulnerable to screenshots. I just don't understand... How could a program encrypt keystrokes and ensure that a keylogger can't get them? What if the keylogger is faster? After all, it's reading keyboard input, right? Couldn't a keylogger also do that? Maybe I'm wrong. Of course, if the kernel is changed, this can be done.

Another thing related to strengthening your browser is sandboxing (search Firejail in this forum or AppArmor) and using NoScript. These are pretty cool things. NS could stop a Javascript-based browser keylogger. Firejail could stop anything if it could break out of Firefox.

For e-mail, I guess Thunderbird might be a good idea as you don't browse with it, so you don't have to be afraid that you left a tab open and some Javascript is reading your keyboard, because you can just close your browser.

As I saw, Keyscrambler free is only for browsers, that's why I focused on browsers. Obviously this is not what you asked for, but these can do something similar.

One more thing: as Cosmo. said in another topic, there is no known attack to read your keyboard buffer when you're prompted for your Mint user password (built-in Linux thing).

If you're really into the topic, I suggest that you search AppArmor's wiki. As I've seen, that does something with the kernel, and if you can make restrictions at kernel-level, I believe that it's possible to tell which program can read the keyboard buffer and which can't.

http://wiki.apparmor.net/index.php/Main_Page
Can I ask please; with the passage of time and how fast tech changes, is there any update to this thread?
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit. Acer Aspire E1-571 Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2328M CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2200 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) 4 GB Installed Physical RAM

Return to “Software & Applications”