Website Builder

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Website Builder

Post by Bob M »

Can anyone recommend a “Website Builder” for Mint – Cinnamon – Sarah?

It needs to be relatively simple, but able to direct to a You Tube video and direct to Pay Pal for payment.

I have a Website built with “Website X5 Evolution” on a Win 7 computer, but a Win 10 update completely screwed that programme along with a couple of others which is why I’ve moved to Linux.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Bob.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Website Builder

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Bob M",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Can you tell us what web host you are using for your website? It is very likely, that your web host has an easy to use web builder application available in your web host control panel.

Here is a recent post on this topic, and there are other posts on this in this forum as well.

[SOLVED] WYSIWYG website editor for Mint Rebecca?
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=239746&p=1280315#p1280315

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Hi phd21,

Thank you for the response an the welcome.

Just in case you are wondering about the delay in replying, I’m in New Zealand so there is an 18hr time difference.

Anyway, I’ve attached a screenshot of the results of inxi -Fxzd in the terminal as highlighting and copying didn’t work.

Openhost is my provider.

I think they do have some facilities for website building but one has to be well versed in HTML.

As I mentioned, the Website was built with “Website X5 Evolution 10” which is GUI based and you don’t have to know any HTML.

And thanks for the link, I’ll follow up on that.

Cheers

Bob
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Bob M wrote: highlighting and copying didn’t work.
Hi Bob! To copy and paste in the terminal, you'll need to add the shift key to the usual "control + c" and "control + v" commands. Then they should work.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Thanks Moem, let's try again. The 100k limit on attachments doesn't make things easy to read does it.

bob@bob-desktop ~ $ inxi -Fxzd
System: Host: bob-desktop Kernel: 4.4.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.1)
Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine: Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-M55SLI-S4
Bios: Award v: F8 date: 12/01/2006
CPU: Dual core AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 svm) bmips: 4020
clock speeds: max: 2200 MHz 1: 1000 MHz 2: 1000 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] RV370 [Radeon X300]
bus-ID: 05:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: ati,radeon (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
Resolution: 1680x1050@59.88hz
GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on ATI RV370
GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 11.2.0 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 NVIDIA CK804 AC'97 Audio Controller
driver: snd_intel8x0 ports: b800 bc00 bus-ID: 00:04.0
Card-2 Solid Year driver: USB Audio usb-ID: 001-003
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-36-generic
Network: Card-1: NVIDIA CK804 Ethernet Controller
driver: forcedeth port: e800 bus-ID: 00:0a.0
IF: enp0s10 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR5212/5213/2414 Wireless Network Adapter
driver: ath5k bus-ID: 01:07.0
IF: wlp1s7 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1750.4GB (2.2% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: ST3250620NS size: 250.1GB
ID-2: /dev/sdb model: ST1000DM000 size: 1000.2GB
ID-3: /dev/sdc model: ST3500820AS size: 500.1GB
Optical: /dev/sr0 model: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H55N
rev: 1.03 dev-links: cdrom,cdrw,dvd,dvdrw
Features: speed: 48x multisession: yes
audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Partition: ID-1: / size: 224G used: 37G (18%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 39.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 200 Uptime: 2:08 Memory: 1452.0/3952.2MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.421) inxi: 2.2.35
bob@bob-desktop ~ $
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Bob M",

You are welcome.

There are WYSIWYG graphical "Drag and Drop" web building applications available for anyone to use as was mentioned in my links in my previous reply.

I just checked your web host "openhost", and I do not see "Zyro" builder or another WYSIWYG graphical "Drag and Drop" web building application, perhaps if you login to your web host's control panel there might be one in there. You can also ask your host to install "Zyro" web builder and maybe they will do that (you might be able to do that yourself). If not, you can use these desktop applications: Google Web Designer, SeaMonkey, Bluegriffon, Komposer, etc...

And as I stated before in the links, you can use one of the free or paid for web hosts that has a WYSIWYG graphical "Drag and Drop" web building application and change your current domain name's "name servers" to theirs, and use that; for example, if you created a free (or paid for) web host account on "x10hosting.com", changed your current domain name's name servers to theirs, go into manage your domain and "park" (add) your other domain name, then uploaded your website to their host, then you can use their graphical tools to design, create, & maintain your website. Your visitors will not know the difference, they would still go to your current domain name (something.com or whatever), only it would be redirected to your "x10hosting" account. You can also just "forward" (create a forwarding rule) from your current web host, or domain name provider, to theirs as well.

That is a small screenshot.
Uploading a screenshot, image, or images to this forum
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=232332&hilit=screenshot

Cheers and regards,
Phil
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Thanks Phil,

I’m working my way through the links you posted in your first post and find them very interesting.

I’ll have to read them a couple of times to get the full gist of what they’re about.

Now, I have tried a couple of those mentioned some time ago and I think I’m correct is saying komposter is discontinued and a couple of others did not have Shopping Cart / Small business Website facilities, like ability to redirect to a video on You Tube, or Connect to Pay Pal for Credit Card payments.

I purchased Website X5 Home only to find it didn’t offer any Small Business facilities and had to upgrade to Website X5 Evolution to get them.

Since my a Windows 10 update destroyed that programme, which worked fine on the Win 7 machine, I’ve been unable to get communication of any sort with Incomedia who I believe produce the Website X5 programmes. Maybe they don’t exist anymore?

Anyway, I’ll be darn glad to rid myself of Windows products and I’m well on the way to doing just that.

Yes, it is a pity that the screenshot upload size is so limited as it makes it so much easier for those trying to help to be able to see just exactly what is on screen, especially if there are Terminal Commands involved and someone has added or missed a letter. (I’ve been there and done that too many times) :oops:

Cheers

Bob
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Bob M"

You are welcome.

BlueGriffon and Google Web Designer are being updated and maintained. Komposer may not be currently updated or maintained, but it still works.

I did not realize what "Joomla" represented, which your web host does have, but in addition to being a Contact Management Systems (CMS), it appears to be a website builder with e-commerce options as well.
https://www.joomla.org/

You can also create a free website with Joomla.
https://www.joomla.com/

Shopping carts (e-commerce) are available with all web software as add-ons (plug-ins) or code or as links (URLs) to an external shopping cart e-commerce website. Your web host has "osCommerce", but anyone's web host, may already have some e-commerce (shopping cart) options as installable options through their control panel. (or as part of WordPress, Joomla, etc...). There are Free Shopping cart e-commerce options and others cost, so read the descriptions.

Example from "x10hosting" - Getting Started with Your Own eCommerce Website
https://x10hosting.com/blog/getting-sta ... e-website/

Softaculous is the leading Auto Installer for cPanel, Plesk, DirectAdmin, InterWorx, H-Sphere. It has 413 great scripts and we are still adding more.
Most web hosts have a "cPanel" control panel where this "Softaculous" is either installed already or can be installed.
https://www.softaculous.com/

Look at all the applications that can be easily installed on your website through this option on a web host.
- including 36+ e-commerce shopping cart options
https://www.softaculous.com/apps

How to Install PrestaShop Shopping Cart on Your Website
https://www.thesitewizard.com/revenue/p ... rial.shtml

ecwid - Add an online store for FREE in 5 minutes. See links
Ecwid Easily Integrates with Sitebuilders
https://www.ecwid.com/

WooCommerce
https://woocommerce.com/

osCommerce
https://www.oscommerce.com/

CubeCart
https://www.cubecart.com/

Anyone can easily add options for PayPal to websites, email, etc... in various ways, including adding your own PayPal "PayMe" link. A lot of the shopping cart (e-commerce) options already include PayPal options...
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/grab

A lot of the web builder applications already have YouTube options to play a video on your web page, see my pictures, but anyone can add a simple web link (URL) to a YouTube video on any web page which when clicked will redirect the user to that video.

My link to posting images to this forum or anywhere should help with screenshots.

Cheers to you as well.

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmuserx4849

Post by lmuserx4849 »

If you go to Linux Mint's menu launcher, find and start the "Software Manager", and type "html editor" in the search box, it'll come up with bluefish.

Although any text editor will do the trick. If you have the KDE desktop top, Kate is a nice text editor with highlighting. Some other editors with more features, aptana, atom, even netbeans.
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Thanks for that lmuserx4849, but I’m a real novice who knows nothing about HTML, so really it has to be GUI based with templates.

From what I can see Bluefish doesn’t meet those requirements.

But I’d like to think I was wrong. :D
zl1bjq

Post by zl1bjq »

This has been posted earlier, hope I don't upset the boss but it's worth a try for those wanting a Linux WYSIWYG. I think Sitespinner have a free trial period, they used to..
I got fed up with MS for many reasons, all well known! About 8 years ago I had the same thoughts and worries, the main one being the loss of a decent WYSIWYG editor. I found writing code too time consuming. After using SiteSpinner pro on Windows for several years I was quite hooked on it. It is a superb WYSIWYG editor and I did many web sites with it. It writes good compliant code. After months of trying to get it to run in WINE in Linux Mint I succeeded, and it runs very well for me. The secret? is to use WINETRICKS to install a number of Windows DLLs. My first success only needed these. MSLS31, RICHED20, RICHED30, RICHTX32 , VB6RUN, VCRUN2005. With those installed I made web sites for several years with the paid up version of Sitespinner Pro. After a re-install and Linux upgrade the links in the SS text writer failed. So I started adding more DLLs, at random really!! I was getting paranoid!! I added VCRUN2003, VCRUN2008, VCRUN2010 and VCRUN2012, then VCRUN6.
Remarkably my Sitespinner is running perfectly again under WINE. Only this morning I rebuilt a one page site which I will soon upload. My main site was done in SS several years ago and is www.zl1bjq.co.nz
I wish you luck, My current Linux is Mint Cinnamon/Sarah ? and it is a truly wonderful OS. I now happily have no need for MS Windows again which I have sadly grown to hate.
Update, this page http://www.zl1bjq.co.nz/tesla2/ was made today using Sitespinner in Mint 18 and WINE as described. The only very minor problem was the picture links URL were absolute links and had to be changed to relative by opening in a text editor (I use Gedit). So far that is the only minor niggle.

Return to “Software & Applications”