Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tms
Level 1
Level 1

Chrome browser

Post by tms » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Earlier today, I was in gmail, and when I closed out, it wouldn't close. The warning about trying to contact gmail.com appeared, and then after a while, it stopped so I just closed the browser. I've done that before without any problems, but this time, chrome no longer starts up.

Going to the desktop icon "permissions", I find the message:
"Allowing untrusted programs to run
presents a security risk to your system."

I reinstalled chrome, but that didn't change anything.

Somebody please tell how to get the chrome browser working again

Thank you.

M Patterson
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Chrome browser

Post by M Patterson » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:03 pm

I'm not an expert. I've had this OS for just a few days.

I was under the impression that Google pulled support for Chrome from Linux, and left it with Chromium, instead. I'm not sure if you really mean Chromium, but if you're really running Chrome, I would remove it and install Chromium from the software manager.

:mrgreen: Someone's going to look at what I just wrote and say, "What the heck is he talking about?" Go easy on me; I'm a total newbie.

pizzadude
Level 2
Level 2

Post by pizzadude » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:38 pm

M Patterson wrote:I'm not an expert. I've had this OS for just a few days.

I was under the impression that Google pulled support for Chrome from Linux, and left it with Chromium, instead. I'm not sure if you really mean Chromium, but if you're really running Chrome, I would remove it and install Chromium from the software manager.

:mrgreen: Someone's going to look at what I just wrote and say, "What the heck is he talking about?" Go easy on me; I'm a total newbie.
I was under the impression that Google pulled support for Chrome from Linux, and left it with Chromium, instead.
This is not true. They ended support for 32-bit Linux. But they still support 64-bit Linux for Google Chrome.
Visit my blog LinuxSurge if you like websites that haven't been updated in over 2 years

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:22 am

I don't have any desktop icon that says Permissions, so I'm not sure what you're referring to there. Sometimes you can get a clue what is wrong by starting the program from the terminal. In this case you would enter google-chrome and press enter. Any error messages?

Another possibility is that something is messed up in the settings. Open the file manager and in your home directory there should be a .config folder. (If you don't see it, use Ctrl+H to show hidden files, or click on View, Show Hidden Files.) In the .config folder, there will be a folder named google-chrome. Rename it to something else; google-chromeOLD would be fine. Now try to start Chrome again. If the problem is something in the configuration files, it should start now and make a new default configuration. Any luck with that?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

dave8671
Level 3
Level 3

Post by dave8671 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:03 am

I install Google chrome by downloading the ,deb file from the website only for 64bit systems. Than double click on it and chrome will be installed. If you are using a 32bit OS than you are stuck with Chromium. Use synaptic to install Chromium or software manager.

tms
Level 1
Level 1

Post by tms » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi -

My apologies for the noise. I still don't know what caused the problem, but a restart took are of it.

Thanks

Return to “Software & Applications”