What is the best backup utility for a desktop machine?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Gertrude McFanny
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Gertrude McFanny » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:17 pm

JoeFootball
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What is the best backup utility for a desktop machine?

Post by JoeFootball » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:20 pm

Opinions will differ, but it depends on how/what you want to backup. For example, for me, I like to backup every partition of my entire hard drive to an image on an external drive.

This way if it crashes, or more likely have a catastrophic mishap by my own hand, I can restore the entire drive to its previous disposition.

I use Clonezilla Live for this, where I shutdown (i.e., not hibernate, sleep, suspend, etc.) all instances of OS, then boot to Clonezilla Live on CD/USB, and let it do its thing.

Joe

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:33 pm

My personal choices are Grsync to back up my data partition (or a separate /home partition)
I use fsarchiver to back up the root partition.

2016 LinuxQuestions.org Members Choice Awards - Backup Application of the Year
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

Cosmo.
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Cosmo. » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:06 pm

As a classical Backup program I recommend Back in Time.

DeMus
Level 6
Level 6

Post by DeMus » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:16 pm

ReDo Backup and Recover. Install it to a CD and boot from it. Can make backups of partitions but also complete drives in matter of minutes. I use for making backups of my OS on a NAS over the network. Works great.

Jim Hauser
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jim Hauser » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:48 pm

DeMus wrote:ReDo Backup and Recover. Install it to a CD and boot from it. Can make backups of partitions but also complete drives in matter of minutes. I use for making backups of my OS on a NAS over the network. Works great.
I also us ReDo for my striped LVM members. It works well on recovery also.

In the past I have used QT4 and QT5 FSArchiver with very good and fast results. Whatever you decide, test the recovery to make sure it works for you.

Cheers!

Jim

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:36 pm

Hi "Gertrude McFanny",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

+1 for "Clonezilla Live" for creating an image backup of your drives and or their partitions. Create a bootable CD/DVD or USB flash drive stick, then boot up to it to make compressed drive image backups. I have used it for years. I do image backups at least once a month, and before any major updates.

Syncing applications for daily or frequent backups of things that change, like documents, data, multimedia files, passwords, etc... I recommend "FreeFileSync" and "LuckyBackup". Syncing applications are nice because (after the first run) they copy only the changes and or updated files to your destination, like an USB external drive, where you can easily access them.

"Aptik" is great for backing up your Linux Mint settings, customizations, PPA's, etc... This makes re-installing Linux Mint with all your installed applications easy, if you ever need to do a fresh re-install.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

sammiev
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sammiev » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:21 pm

+1 for "Clonezilla Live" for full system backups and LuckyBackup https://sourceforge.net/projects/luckybackup/ for just doing data backup.

TooMuchTime
Level 4
Level 4

Post by TooMuchTime » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:25 pm

Check out CrashPlan. You can backup to other computers and external drives for free.

Return to “Software & Applications”