Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fletcher
Level 3
Level 3

Adobe Flash plugin

Post by fletcher »

I am having trouble with it. Disabled by default right now because I still have version 24.0. Want to get it updated so I quit getting error messages, but keep running into problems.

When I try to update straight from Adobe with the APT package, I'm told "Unknown channel 'rosa-partner' The channel 'rosa-partner' is not known".

And when I go through the terminal, as suggested in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=241841, I find out, of course, that Flash is already installed. But it does not update.

I'm running Mint 17.3 Cinnamon with up-to-date Firefox.

Thanks.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Adobe Flash plugin

Post by deepakdeshp »

Though not what you wanted but be aware of the security issues.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/06/1 ... ash_flaws/
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

jrichard326
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jrichard326 »

Download direct from Adobe: https://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Download the tar.gz version
extract libflashplayer.so
copy libflashplayer.so into your plugins folder in your FF Profile Directory. If you do not have a plugins folder, create one and copy the file into it.

Activate the plugin in addons-plugins

I would recommend having it set to not activated and use when absolutely necessary due to security concerns. I find that I seldom, if ever, need flash anymore.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hello, fletcher.

What you experience and what I experience as well is that:
  • the genuine adobe-flashplugin_20170314.1.orig.tar.gz installation package arrived on the Ubuntu software repository server on March 14th, 2017
  • but that even a week later the official Ubuntu software repositories do not offer the updated software package adobe-flashplugin and adobe-flash-properties-gtk/adobe-flash-properties-kde to their users.
  • so we seem to be stuck with the previous Flash version 24.0.0.221 which is flagged as vulnerable
Yet, there is a very simple way of getting the latest Adobe Flash plugin 25.0.0.127 without much tinkering with either the commandline or with .tar.gz archive yourself.

Suggested solution: Switching from adobe-flashplgin to flashplugin-installer
  • Launch Synaptic package manager.
  • Locate the software package flashplugin-installer. Mark it for installation. Click [Install]
  • Synaptic will warn you that in order to install flashplugin-installer the packages adobe-flashplugin and adobe-flash-properties-gtk/adobe-flash-properties-kde have to be uninstalled.
  • Do not worry. This is correct. Confirm and let Synaptic do its work.
  • flashplugin-installer will be installed and start downloading adobe-flashplugin_20170314.1.orig.tar.gz from the Canonical server automaticaly. Once it has been downloaded, it will be installed.
  • You will now have Adobe Flash plugin 25.0.0.127 installed in your browser.
  • Close Synaptic.
  • (Re)start your browser and visit this Adobe webpage to verify that you have got the most recent Flash plugin installed: Adobe Flash About
Note:
The steps explained above have to be executed only once.
From now on whenever Adobe makes a new version of its Flash plugin available, Mint Update Manager will present an updated flashplugin-installer to you which will download and install the updated Flash plugin on your system.
As a rule flashplugin-installer will give you the most recent Adobe Flash plugin at minimum a day or two earlier than Ubuntu will start deploying the packages adobe-flashplugin and adobe-flash-properties-gtk/adobe-flash-properties-kde.
This time the difference is a week or more. Time will tell.

HTH,
Karl
--
You can find all the (recent) flashplugin packages here. Navigate to the end of the list. The most recent packages are at the end:
http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partn ... ashplugin/
Linux Mint 19.2 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.22a 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

br1anstorm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by br1anstorm »

I'm using Firefox v52.0 on my Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE laptop.

I have just started getting popups in Firefox saying that the version of the Flash plugin is out of date and has been disabled (and needs to be updated). I too have Flash version 24.0.0.221.

I went to the Adobe website to update, and it offered me downloads packaged in various forms (APT, YUM, tar.gz and .rpm).

I have never before downloaded Flash - or any other software - direct from a provider's site. I have always relied only on the Linux Mint update manager to keep my system in good shape. I prefer the confidence and peace of mind that the Mint updater offers!

But there's no Flash update listed (yet....) from the Mint update manager.

I see from karlchen's post that it would be possible to get the Flash update via Synaptic. I have no real problem with that if it's the only way to go. But I'm not in a massive hurry. Is there a reason for the delay? Is the Flash update likely to be available as part of the normal Mint update process fairly soon? If so, I'm content to wait a day or two (or a week.....?). If not, then Synaptic seems the only sensible option.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Br1nstorm.

I do not have any idea why Ubuntu is so slow this time. More than a week has passed by since Flash 25.0.0.127 was released by Adobe.
The Synaptic steps are a one time operation. Once they have been completed successfully, you will have Flash 25.0.0.127 on your system. Future Flash updates will come to you in Mint Update Manager as flashplugin-installer upates. Once it has been updated, it will again automatically download and install the most recent Adobe Flash plugin.

Regards,
Karl
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

johanna
Level 2
Level 2

Post by johanna »

Thank you Karl for you post. I had the same problem with adobe and you have solved it for me too.Wonderful!!
With kind regards, Johanna :-)

victoriagrimalkin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by victoriagrimalkin »

Thank you to Karl for the directions to the Synaptic solution. Worked for me, and I appreciate the help. 8)

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

Great posting Karl :D

red03golf
Level 2
Level 2

Post by red03golf »

This is already solved, but my solution is this from the terminal:
  • sudo aptitude update && sudo aptitude -fry install adobe-flash-properties-gtk adobe-flash-properties-kde adobe-flashplugin
Tin-foil hat? - Check!!

Laurent85
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Laurent85 »

@karlchen
There is a dependency on adobe-flashplugin in Mint core package mint-meta-codecs-core, and flashplugin-installer conflicts adobe-flashplugin. Installing flashplugin-installer will remove adobe-flashplugin and Mint mint-meta-codecs mint-meta-codecs-core packages.

I recommend to wait for Ubuntu to plush the adobe-flashplugin in the repositories when possible or to use xenopeek's suggested alternative viewtopic.php?f=90&t=242131&p=1293802&h ... n#p1293802

For Mint 17.x 64 bit I recommend to install the deb package adobe-flashplugin_20170314.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1_amd64.deb

For Mint 18.x 64 bit I recommend to install the deb package adobe-flashplugin_20170314.1-0ubuntu0.16.04.1_amd64.deb

Select the 32 bit package if running a 32 bit version of Mint.

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Laurent85.

You are right about the additional dependency on Mint: Mint mint-meta-codecs mint-meta-codecs-core
Removing these meta packages, however, will not have any ill side-effect.
I have done so on 2 of my Mint 13 and Mint 17 systems a long time ago, on one of the previous occasions where Ubuntu would not provide adobe-flashplugin in a timely fashion.

Downloading the appropriate adobe-flash*.deb packages from http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partn ... ashplugin/ and installing manually (e.g. using gdebi) instead of switching to flashplugin-installer is a good approach as well.
(Have done so in the past once or twice as well.)

Regards,
Karl

Return to “Software & Applications”