Easymp3gain not working after new distro install

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ormus

Easymp3gain not working after new distro install

Post by ormus »

I've installed this application many times before, but for some reason it's now failing on me.

4.8.0-42 / Serena / Cinnamon

It opens as usual but when I try to do anything, I get a message on the bottom bar that says 'Error. Cannot start mp3gain. Installed?'

It doesn't process any files in this state.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ormus

Re: Easymp3gain not working after new distro install

Post by ormus »

Anyone?
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Forget about buggy unreliable easymp3gain and use mp3gain instead:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/u ... _amd64.deb
Don't install it within the browser: this will probably fail. Go the the Downloads folder with your file manager and then double-click it.

Usage:

Code: Select all

cd your-music-folder

find . -name *mp3 -exec mp3gain -a -k {} \;
Don't like the result? Undo it like this:

find . -name *mp3 -exec mp3gain -u {} \;
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
ormus

Post by ormus »

Thanks, looks promising.

However I can't really understand how to apply the code. An example would be helpful.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

ormus wrote:Thanks, looks promising.

However I can't really understand how to apply the code. An example would be helpful.
Create a folder in your user account, called your-music-folder. Put some mp3's in it. Then launch a terminal and issue the commands in my previous message. Copy/paste them into the terminal, to prevent typo's.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "ormus",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

1.) Here is an Audio PPA, which also has the easy to install Linux deb files, for various "audio gain" packages for various versions of Linux Mint.

"Xenial" for Linux Mint 18.x and
"Trusty" for Linux Mint 17.x (mp3gain is in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) for 17.x)

1.a.) Linux ".deb" files
https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+a ... /+packages

To install "mp3gain" and or "aacgain" with easy to install Linux ".deb" files, just click the link for your version of Linux Mint (Trusty or Xenial), scroll down and click the 32-bit or 64 bit ".deb" file, save it somewhere like your Downloads folder, then double click it to install it, if it does not start installing automatically.

1.b.) PPA method
https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+a ... untu/audio

To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:flexiondotorg/audio
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mp3gain aacgain

If you want the "Asunder" CD ripper then add " asunder" to the last line above.

2.) There are also graphical Desktop applications to adjust the "gain" on your mp3 and aac audio files as well, like easymp3-qt or easymp3-gtk, QTgain, soundkonverter, "bs1770gain", "python-rgain ?", and others; search for "gain" in the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)". "Vorbisgain" for ogg files, etc...

Note: with QTGain, you should right click the application, click configure, check open file dialog when started, restart it, it will do all files in a folder you select.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Easymp3gain or equivalent for Mint 19.x

Post by br1anstorm »

I found this older thread when searching the forums for "mp3gain".

I'm resurrecting it (rather than starting a new thread) because essentially I'm hoping for an update to the advice (much of which is still valid) in the posts from phd21 and pjotr back in 2017.

I have just installed Mint 19.1 XFCE version, replacing the solid and reliable 17.3. I wanted to reinstate mp3gain , which was in the 17.x Software Manager and which I had installed and used regularly.

But I find that it is not in the 19.x Software Manger. The only similar or equivalent program seems to be soundKonverter, which is well-reviewed but seems to come with a whole lot of KDE dependencies, and clearly offers various other additional facilities as well as the simple gain-adjustment which mp3gain provided.

It seems from the advice offered by Pjotr and others that it is still possible to download mp3gain from other repos - but as a command line package. I would much prefer a program with a GUI front end. It looked as if easymp3gain might fit the bill: but I've seen a lot of comments suggesting it is "buggy" or crashes when asked to handle more than a dozen or so music files. And it's not in the 19.x Software Manager repo. Nor is wxmp3gain, which is another I have seen mentioned.

So.... my question is: what is the best or closest alternative to mp3gain for Mint 19.x, which comes with a GUI?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Easymp3gain or equivalent for Mint 19.x

Post by phd21 »

Hi br1anstorm,

This is a PPA for mp3gain and aacgain packages. you can also download deb files for these from this PPA. mp3gain has to be installed before any desktop front-end (GUI) will work.
Audio Stuff : Martin Wimpress
https://launchpad.net/~flexiondotorg/+a ... untu/audio

There are 64-bit and 32-bit "wxMP3gain" Linux deb files in the link below that work with Linux Min19.x as well, save the file and double-click it to install it.

wxMP3gain download | SourceForge.net
https://sourceforge.net/projects/wxmp3gain/

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun May 12, 2019 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Thanks, phd21, just the advice I needed.

I hadn't seen or tried wxMP3gain before.... have just installed it along with the mp3gain program itself, and it all looks good and seems to work well.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi br1anstorm,

You are welcome...

I think wxMP3gain works very well and it's easy to use.

Return to “Software & Applications”