Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
chellrose
Level 1
Level 1

Samba drive access from Windows is very slow/erratic

Post by chellrose »

I am running Mint 17.3 Rosa with Cinnamon. I have shared a folder, called "Myshare". When I try to access this folder from my Windows 10 machine, the behavior is erratic. Sometimes I can't access it at all and other times, access is incredibly slow.

I shared the folder in Mint via 3 methods:

1. Editing /etc/samba/smb.conf. I added these lines to the end of the file:

Code: Select all

[Myshare]
	path = /home/chellrose/Myshare
	available = yes
	writeable = yes
	browseable = yes
	guest ok = yes
	force user = chellrose
	force group = chellrose
2. Using the Samba GUI in the applications menu. I selected the shared folder and clicked Preferences > Samba Users, and added a user.

3. In Nemo, I went to "Sharing Options" from the right-click menu, and chose to "Share this folder" and "Allow others to create and delete files in this folder", and gave it the share name "Myshare" as above.

Having done those steps, I go to my Win10 machine, map network drive to \\<Linux IP address>\Myshare and enter the username and password I'd created through the Samba GUI. Sometimes it will load the folder, but at an incredibly slow pace. It takes about a minute to access the main share and subfolders won't even load.

Alternately, when I map the network drive, sometimes I get instant access to the folder, but it shows up as empty. If I close the window and then try to re-access the share, Windows says it is no longer available.

Both machines are connected to the same network.

I do note that when I access Samba Users through the Samba GUI, the smb.conf file is changed so that "available = yes" and "browseable = yes" are commented out (even if I didn't change anything in the GUI). Having those lines commented, or not, makes no difference in what I see in Windows 10. Further, if I take out the "force user" and "force group" lines, then Windows 10 tells me I don't have permission to access the share.

I need help getting consistent and quick access to this shared folder, and its subfolders, through Windows. Thanks!
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Samba drive access from Windows is very slow/erratic

Post by altair4 »

In reverse order:
I do note that when I access Samba Users through the Samba GUI, the smb.conf file is changed so that "available = yes" and "browseable = yes" are commented out (even if I didn't change anything in the GUI).
Despite what the documentation states smb.conf is not THE samba configuration file. It is a file that is used to add to or override the default settings of samba. "available = yes" and "browseable = yes" are default settings of samba. When samba runs and finds things that are already in a default state it ignores them - comments them out.
I shared the folder in Mint via 3 methods:
Stop doing that. Both methods will create a samba share but their share definitions are in different places and based on your post samba is confused. Run this commmand:

net usershare info --long
You will note that there is no referemce to force user or group because in a samba usershare there is no such thing. So you have two samba shares with th same name pointing to the same folder but with different settings. Does this explain your inconsistent access to this share? That I do not know but you should just "unshare" the one you created in Nemo.

The not being able to load subfolders is actually a recent bug but I don't think it applies here. To check run:

testparm -sv | grep "follow symlinks" 
It should come back with "follow symlinks = yes"
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
chellrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chellrose »

Thanks, altair. I removed the share from nemo and am now able to access the base folder with no trouble from Windows.

The

testparm -sv | grep "follow symlinks" 
does give me "follow symlinks = Yes", but when I try to get into a subfolder from Windows, it says the subfolder is not accessible, and "The specified network name is no longer available."
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I keep notes of these obscure error messages since I'll never be able to remember them all. The only thing I could find was a space issue - like running out of it. That doesn't seem likely since you would have experienced it yourself on this box locally.

At a loss at the moment and I've run out of time for the day.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
chellrose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chellrose »

Thanks. Additional info after more testing: On the Windows side, it looks like the share keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. The little symbol that shows connection keeps switching between red (disconnected) and green (connected). Rarely, if I catch it at a green instant, I can get into a subfolder. I am unable to maintain stable access, though. The subfolder's contents disappear a moment later as the share disconnects.

Last bumped by chellrose on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:08 am.

Return to “Software & Applications”