Thunderbird 45.8.0 hangs on new Gmail password window<SOLVED>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Teksonik

Re: Thunderbird 45.8.0 hangs on new Gmail password window

Post by Teksonik »

I did write the Password. This is what comes after that window:
TBird 042917-1.png
I think you're missing the part where Gmail worked fine in TBird until recently. Something has changed. Your advice does not work but thank you very much for trying. :)
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Teksonik wrote:I did write the Password. This is what comes after that window:

TBird 042917-1.png

I think you're missing the part where Gmail worked fine in TBird until recently. Something has changed. Your advice does not work but thank you very much for trying. :)
Login to your Gmail via browser first and enable "less secure apps"

https://myaccount.google.com/intro/security
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Quote from Google.

"Allow less secure apps: OFF
Some apps and devices use less secure sign-in technology, which could leave your account vulnerable. You can turn off access for these apps (which we recommend) or choose to use them despite the risks."

Again that was the same setting used when Thunderbird was able to access my Gmail account this morning before I reset my password. It worked perfectly this morning on this system.....until I reset my password.

I appreciate your efforts but I'll just skip checking my Gmail account from Thunderbird on Linux Mint. It's just a junk mail account anyway. I can check it from my Windows computers.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Teksonik wrote: Again that was the same setting used when Thunderbird was able to access my Gmail account this morning before I reset my password. It worked perfectly this morning on this system.....until I reset my password.

I appreciate your efforts but I'll just skip checking my Gmail account from Thunderbird on Linux Mint. It's just a junk mail account anyway. I can check it from my Windows computers.
I have tested that thing, and it works. If you do not get Thunderbird working, install Sylpheed, so that Gmail works out of box. :wink:

PS. Google has changed their login, which you can see and test by log into your Google account.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

I think when the Ubuntu community at large starts to experience this problem for themselves, there is going to be an uproar.
FireFox and Thunderbird are the primary tools we are given in nearly EVERY Ubuntu-based distro.
There are issues with both, and of course, there always will be small bugs and "speed-bumps" with any application that is continuously developing and (hopefully) improving.
But not being able to register/validate our Gmail user accounts falls way too short of the mark.
It serves the needs of neither user nor the provider.
I have faith that this will get fixed and soon.

And I don't believe using a less secure validation method is anything worth considering.
Security is shoddy enough in this day and age.
We don't need things getting worse.
Backwards is not an option.

Please Mint and all Ubuntu-based distro developers: Bring this issue to the attention of Mozilla and Google.

Thanks to all who are keeping an eye on this issue.

Best,
Allen
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Please Mint and all Ubuntu-based distro developers: Bring this issue to the attention of Mozilla and Google.
Done.

Mozilla:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1360276
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1359297

Google:
https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... 1oYixwDHdQ

An interesting observation by one user posting in both places:
- On our computers in Michigan, adding Gmail account to Thunderbird is still not working. If we go to Gmail on the web to log in, we still see the notice that Gmail will have new way to sign in soon.

- On our computers in Ohio, we are now able to add Gmail accounts to Thunderbird. It should be noted that we now see new log in on the web for Gmail vs "new way to log in coming soon"

My guess is that Gmail/Google is rolling out the new log-in in different areas a little at a time. Once it is updated in an area, Gmail accounts should add to Thunderbird again. We have been testing and did this with several accounts and had the same outcome each time. Our tests have been on Windows 10 Anniversary edition and Creators and we have worked with both the lastest and previous edition of Thunderbird.
Anyhoo, Mozilla thinks they fixed it: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/quest ... 498?page=2
Wait for the update to Thunderbird 52.1.0 next week.
Because of how the repositories work for Thunderbird with Linux we should be able to access that update in the year 2187 so I would put your money on Google fixing this..
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

altair4 wrote: Because of how the repositories work for Thunderbird with Linux we should be able to access that update in the year 2187 so I would put your money on Google fixing this..
LOL, say it ain't so Joe!

I just added my 2 cents over at an existing thread from today at MozillaZine...

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14745495

As I had hoped, Mozilla developers are on this issue.
Altair's posts indicated that the developer at Mozilla was going to issue backports to earlier Tbird versions.
So hopefully, maybe, someday, possibly, soon perhaps... we will see TBird 45.8.1 come down the pipe from the Ubuntu Repos???

:lol:

Thanks for that helpful batch of info Altair4!

If there is any "good news" in this group of bug reports, it is the news that this issue is not limited to Linux OS users.
It seems to be effecting Windeauxs and MacKos as well.

[Edit] The one thing I found disturbing in the Mozilla developer discussion on this issue was that they were recommending a fix that would lower the security threshold as a functional work-around, as recommended by a poster here. I hope that they can avoid this. Lowering the standard of quality is not a good way to go.
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

I'll just wait for the Thunderbird update or 2187 whichever comes first. :lol: In the meantime we can of course just access our Gmail from within Firefox.

Yes a staggered roll out would explain why some people have the new login method and others don't. :)
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Teksonik wrote:I'll just wait for the Thunderbird update or 2187 whichever comes first. :lol: In the meantime we can of course just access our Gmail from within Firefox.

Yes a staggered roll out would explain why some people have the new login method and others don't. :)
It is a Google related bug, because it happened with Thunderbird 52 too. Clear Thunderbird cache and try again. :wink:
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Still doesn't work. :wink:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Do you have two factor authentication?
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

No, I have not enabled two factor authentication. The only setting that changed between the time TBird was able to login to GMail and when it stopped being able to login on that system was that I changed my password. After that TBird could not connect to GMail even though it could just minutes before. Obviously something to do with GM's new authentication process. I suggest everyone just access your GMail from within Firefox or what ever browser you use and wait for the TBird/GMail issue to be fixed through the update manager. :)
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Teksonik wrote:No, I have not enabled two factor authentication. The only setting that changed between the time TBird was able to login to GMail and when it stopped being able to login on that system was that I changed my password. After that TBird could not connect to GMail even though it could just minutes before. Obviously something to do with GM's new authentication process. I suggest everyone just access your GMail from within Firefox or what ever browser you use and wait for the TBird/GMail issue to be fixed through the update manager. :)
I think that Google breaks and fixs login issue one region at a time, because I had this OAuth2 issue 29 April but 30 April it was fixed.

You can easily test, if you have some another problem, making a new ~/.thunderbird profile like

Code: Select all

mv ~/.thunderbird ~/.thunderbird.orig
Next start Thunderbird and test how it works.

PS. Evolution, Sylheed and Claws Mail are working fine with Gmail, so you do not need to use emails via Browser. :wink:

PS2. For me also Thunderbird works fine with Gmail. :wink:
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Gmail works fine in Firefox....no need to install another email client. :wink:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Teksonik wrote:Gmail works fine in Firefox....no need to install another email client. :wink:
How do you encrypt your mails if you don't use Thunderbird or Evolution? :wink:
darkeagle

Post by darkeagle »

Hey guys, I am having the same issue with Thunderbird :(
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

killer de bug wrote:
Teksonik wrote:Gmail works fine in Firefox....no need to install another email client. :wink:
How do you encrypt your mails if you don't use Thunderbird or Evolution? :wink:
I don't send emails from my Gmail account. It's a junk account. :wink:
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

darkeagle wrote:Hey guys, I am having the same issue with Thunderbird :(
Obviously "Google has reached your region". Has OAuth2 authentication on and are you cleared Thunderbird cache?
Thunderbird troubleshooting with Gmail -> viewtopic.php?f=42&p=1309322#p1309322
darkeagle

Post by darkeagle »

administrollaattori wrote:
Obviously "Google has reached your region". Has OAuth2 authentication on and are you cleared Thunderbird cache?
I just tried to configure again and it works with OAuth2. I made no changes :?
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

darkeagle wrote:
administrollaattori wrote:
I just tried to configure again and it works with OAuth2. I made no changes :?
Yes it appears the issue is on Google's side. No changes to Thunderbird should be needed. I'll try again here just out of curiosity. :)

EDIT: Ok same thing here. I get to the login window, click "Next" and it simply does not connect. Like I said Gmail is a junk account here so I'm not going to worry about it, I can still access it through Firefox. Just out of curiosity which region does everyone who has connected live in ? I'm in Las Vegas. For the record I have dropped the Firewall to see if that's an issue but it is not..........

Return to “Software & Applications”