Thunderbird 45.8.0 hangs on new Gmail password window<SOLVED>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Thunderbird 45.8.0 hangs on new Gmail password window<SOLVED>

Post by asciiman »

Hi everyone-
Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64bit on a fresh install from the 18.1 ISO.
Immediately installed updates.

Attempted to set up Thunderbird 45.8.0 to IMAP into my existing Gmail account as I have done countless times before.
Thunderbird accepts my USERNAME and PW, and then attempts to tender them to Gmail.
A new Gmail security panel window pops up in Thunderbird.
I first saw this panel last night. It is somewhat similar to their previous security panel.
However when I click the "NEXT" button, nothing happens, and the process stalls terminally...
Google_Verify_Window.png
I have to close the Gmail window, then I get this from Thunderbird: "Username or Password Invalid..."
Invalid.png
I have to cancel out of this window, and therefore cannot set up the email account in Thunderbird.

When I go to Gmail through FireFox, I can tender my USERNAME and PW through the same exact window and I get directly into my Gmail account.

This problem seems to be merely a glitch in the initial set up of Thunderbird with Gmail in recent days.
Something, likely Gmail, has changed.
All of my other Mint 18.1 partitions can access my same Gmail account with no issues, with the same version of T-Bird.
But on those machines, T-Bird was set up some months ago.

I have cookies enabled in T-Bird.
I am able to set up other non-Gmail IMAP accounts successfully in T-Bird.
It's a Gmail thing, maybe something that Mozilla hasn't caught up with, and it is a recent development.

Just wanted to mention it.
I have yet to see anything on the search engines about it.
If anyone has suggestions, please share them here.

Best,
Allen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Thunderbird 45.8.0 hangs on new Gmail password window

Post by Cosmo. »

From the 2nd screenshot: You missed to enter the e-mail address.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

Hi Cosmo-
Good to see you.
No, I just pulled out that info for the sake of a screenshot.

I admit that I am dumb... but not THAT dumb! :lol:
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I didn't say that and I even did not mean that. We all do mistakes - I am one of them - and especially the most simple mistakes are sometimes easy to overlook; this has happened for me already countless times, where I did spent endless time, until I got aware of it.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

No worries friend, I know you always mean well.
You have helped me out many times before.
Grateful to see you on this thread.

I am hoping this is just a bug or a speedbump that can be soon fixed.

I was considering un-installing T-bird 45.8.0 and reinstalling it.
But all of my non-Gmail IMAP accounts register my T-Bird accounts/passwords just fine.
So I really think it is something Google has changed and T-Bird 45.8.0 isn't ready to deal with that change.
I think I will just wait and see if Mozilla issues a patch.

All my other versions of T-Bird 45.8.0 were established/registered with Gmail months ago.
They are working fine with my Gmail IMAP.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

I don't use gmail, so I cannot give you specific advise.

But another hint (after watching the screenshots once more: Your first picture reveals your e-mail address. I strongly recommend to remove this picture (or replace it with an edited one, where you make the mail-address on both places invisible), otherwise you might end up with an mail-account full of spam.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

Good advice Cosmo, thanks!
Fixed it.

Anyone else with a recent 18.1 install having this issue?

By the way, in that first screenshot, none of the other links work for me in that window.
They DO work though when I am logging in through a web browser.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

FYI... I just did a fresh install of Mint 18.0 64bit.
Installed all updates.
Thunderbird 45.8.0 in the fresh Mint 18.0 install behaves the same as my 18.1 install did.
Same problem trying to get the Gmail security window to function.
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Just to let you know I did a fresh install of 18.1 Xfce on this system and am having the same issue you are with Thunderbird 45.8.0. Login to Gmail hangs. This system dual boots with Win 10 Pro. I don't think that is what's causing the issue but I thought I would mention it anyway. :?

EDIT: I was able to connect to one of my outlook.com accounts so it appears to be a Gmail issue rather than a Thunderbird issue. I was able to connect to my Gmail on my other Mint install but I'm not sure what version of Thunderbird it's running. I check for updates at least a couple of times a day so that system should be up to date.

EDIT 2: Ok this system is running T-Bird 45.8.0 too and Gmail is working perfectly. Same address, same password. Weird. :?
Turtletronic
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Turtletronic »

Teksonik wrote: EDIT 2: Ok this system is running T-Bird 45.8.0 too and Gmail is working perfectly. Same address, same password. Weird. :?
The new and improved login screen went up to a whopping 745k (!) page load; I assume timing problems when handling input.
My music library includes 83,250 tracks. My advice? Forget Amarok, Banshee, Clementine & Rhythmbox. Stick with Windows tools like MusicBee.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

asciiman wrote:Good advice Cosmo, thanks!
Fixed it.
Not quite. Look in the picture at the top, where the title bar of the window is readable: your account is still readable! (That's why I wrote, that you have to edit both(!) places.)
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

It is a bug in Thunderbird. I tested with Sylpheed and it worked out of box with Gmail.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

The solution for a bug.

The problem is that Thunderbird wants OAuth2 as an authentication. The solution is to set normal password as an authentication.
problem.png
After changing the authentication method re-start Thunderbird and write the password.
write password.png
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Thanks but that does not fix the issue here. Like I said Gmail works just fine on this system and it has OAuth2 selected. I tried what you suggested above but I get "Login to server imap.gmail.com Failed". TBird then asks me to login from my web browser which I have done. I even changed my Password but I still can not connect through TBird on that system. I have set authentication method to "Normal Password" on the system that is having login issues.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

administrollaattori wrote: The problem is that Thunderbird wants OAuth2 as an authentication. The solution is to set normal password as an authentication.
Does Thunderbird only use Authentication once on it's initial registration with an IMAP server? (I honestly don't know).
This problem seems only to effect those of us with fresh installs of Thunderbird (fresh OS install).
The same version of Thunderbird 45.8.0 on machines that pre-date the new Gmail verification window seems to work fine.
This is my own experience and corroborated by Teksonik above.

My older install of Thunderbird 45.8.0 ("Server Settings") shows OAuth2 as the Authentication method.
It is working just fine with Gmail and other IMAP accounts. But keep in mind it was set up PRIOR TO the new Gmail registration/verification window.
So if changing the Authentication to NORMAL PASSWORD is the solution, why does my older install of T-Bird work with OAuth2?
Unless that Authentication is only used for the initial registration of Thunderbird/Gmail?? (asking honestly).

Please advise.
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Ok, After I changed my Gmail password, Tbird can no longer connect on the system that was working before and this morning. So it does indeed appear to be something in the new GMail settings. It shows that TBird is trying to connect but can not. It's been running for a few minutes now. So something has changed in the last few days either from the Gmail side or the Thunderbird side although as I said earlier TBird 45.8.0 was working perfectly until I changed my password today. :?
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Here's the message I get on both systems now.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

Teksonik-
Thanks for your help in trouble-shooting this.
I agree with you, I think this is a change that came only after Gmail changed their registration/verification.
More people are going to come into this problem as the days roll along.

Best,
Allen
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

I did a quick Google search to see if anyone else has reported this yet. I found an older post (7-8-15) at Mozilla Support where someone appears to have the same issue on Windows. The advice that worked in that case was to switch to Oauth2.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1071101
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

Teksonik wrote:Here's the message I get on both systems now.
Write the password.
viewtopic.php?f=42&p=1309322#p1309322

Return to “Software & Applications”