Thunderbird 45.8.0 hangs on new Gmail password window<SOLVED>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Thunderbird 45.8.0 hangs on new Gmail password window

Post by altair4 »

And in related news:

Can't login to Google Online Accounts
GOA can't login to Google account after new login screen

The kids at Google ( you do not want to be a 39 year old developer at Google :) ) sure like to shake things up.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

altair4 wrote:And in related news:

Can't login to Google Online Accounts
GOA can't login to Google account after new login screen

The kids at Google ( you do not want to be a 39 year old developer at Google :) ) sure like to shake things up.

Yep... This bug is affecting various email clients in the Windblows and Mac world too.
Time to take off your Spiderman jammies and get to work kids... :roll:
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

Possibly some good news!!

From Altair4's link: https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... 1oYixwDHdQ
On May 1, 2017 Cloudeight Internet said:
I made a post earlier that our systems in Ohio started showing the new gmail log in, and that machine was able to add gmail to Thunderbird. Today our Michigan computers are showing new gmail log in so I tried adding gmail to Thunderbird and it worked fine.. Finally! We have been testing with both latest and older version of Thunderbird, as well as Windows 10 anniversary and creators edition. Hope this info helps those still having issues.
So maybe this one is getting fixed.
I am booting over to another partition to see if I can add my Gmail/IMAP account to Tbird.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

No joy here yet.
In sunny California, the Gmail authentication window still hangs when attempting to add an IMAP account in Tbird 45.8.0.

The above linked poster commented that he was seeing the issue solved on his networks in Michigan.
Please post here if you see the fix come down in your area.
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Still not connecting here in Las Vegas. Perhaps they are working their way East to West. :P
eyeprotocol

Post by eyeprotocol »

East here (Athens, Greece). The problem still exists on a new Mint installation.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

There were a couple of helpful posts over at the Google Help Forum by network admin, Cloudeight Internet...

https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... 1oYixwDHdQ
Cloudeight Internet said:
Hi Asciiman, seen your response come through so here is an update from my end:

I setup a few customers in the past couple of days from Florida, Ohio, Illinois, New Zealand and Australia, and all were fine; all showed the new google/gmail log-in. Had one today from California and still showed the "old" log in and of course, was not able to add gmail on that computer. I told her to contact me in a few days and I would try again.

So, from what we are seeing, it does kind of confirm it has to do with Google rolling out the new log-in in different areas gradually.
and later...
HI Asciiman

Yes, you can post and share any place you want. I am sure it is causing problems for many. What makes it even more confusing, after reading the complaint on other forums, is some are convinced the person posting the problem is doing something wrong. Or someone makes a couple of changes in Thunderbird, and it starts working --- when in reality, it only started working because the new Gmail/Google log in rolled in to their area about the time they made the changes, so it complicates things even more.

We tested on Thunderbird versions 45xx and 52xx

Not a programmer either, but since it all of a sudden starts working on a computer that has either version of Thunderbird, it seems to reinforce that it is Google/Gmail authorization that changes, On all the computers that I have worked on recently, if they still have the old log in process for Gmail, it will not work, but if the new log in process shows, it will work. And, yes, version 45xx will work if the new Gmail log in is in the region of the system we are working on.

As far as Mozilla techs: I wonder if the update you reference on the 30th coincidentally "worked" because the new Google/Gmail log in rolled in to the region of the Mozilla testers/updater. All I know, is I am certainly glad to see new log in is rolling out ..slowly but surely!
Interesting to see that he is able to add and authenticate in TBird 45.xx version.
This supports my suspicion that this has been a Gmail issue from the beginning.
Mozilla did claim to have fixed this bug in Tbird version 52.1.0 on April 30.
But as Cloudeight suggests, perhaps the Mozilla "bug fix" simply coincided with the Gmail authentication fix roll-out in that particular geographical region.

Hope you guys out there are starting to see this issue clear up.
Still waiting here...
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

. What makes it even more confusing, after reading the complaint on other forums, is some are convinced the person posting the problem is doing something wrong. Or someone makes a couple of changes in Thunderbird, and it starts working --- when in reality, it only started working because the new Gmail/Google log in rolled in to their area about the time they made the changes, so it complicates things even more.
I think that's what happened here......... :P

Seems like the roll out is quite staggered. Florida, Ohio, Australia....we just have to wait until our region changes. I imagine California and Nevada should roll out at the same time but we'll have to see......... :)
chiefjim
Level 6
Level 6

Post by chiefjim »

administrollaattori wrote:
Teksonik wrote: Again that was the same setting used when Thunderbird was able to access my Gmail account this morning before I reset my password. It worked perfectly this morning on this system.....until I reset my password.

I appreciate your efforts but I'll just skip checking my Gmail account from Thunderbird on Linux Mint. It's just a junk mail account anyway. I can check it from my Windows computers.
I have tested that thing, and it works. If you do not get Thunderbird working, install Sylpheed, so that Gmail works out of box. :wink:
Well that certainly works so far for a Thunderbird problem I have going on now in a different thread. Unfortunately I can't find a combination that allows Sylpheed to access Apple me.com mail. Can't find a thread here nor on Google for that. :) I do know that the account does not use 2-factor authentication.
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Different problem. That advice is just complicating the issue with Gmail. Simple patience will eventually fix the issue. No need to make changes to Thunderbird or to install more email clients. :wink:
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

Incredible that this bugfix rollout is taking so long! (California and the west)

I have worked in telephone central offices and done plenty of maintenance and upgrades, switching A and B tables.

Maybe the kids in Cupertino are too busy brainstorming on the next app at the Google/Starbux espresso bar...

Hey Google? Need a grouchy and experienced technician to get some work done??
Shoot me an email!
Have tools, will travel.
Last edited by asciiman on Sat May 06, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

asciiman wrote:Incredible that this bugfix rollout is taking so long! (California and the west)

I have worked in telephone central offices and done plenty of maintenance and upgrades, switching A and B tables.
This is just silly.
Maybe they kids in Cupertino are too busy brainstorming at the Google/Starbux espresso bar...

Hey Google? Need a real technician to get some work done??
Shoot me an email!
Have tools, will travel.
Skynet did not start .. :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skynet_(Terminator)
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

:D
Oh ye of little faith...
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

OK fellow Mint-o-philes...
Here's some good news on this Thunderbird deal:

Still using 45.8.0 here

1) Open Tbird and begin to add an account as you normally would. Username and PW.
Click Continue.

2) The next panel will give you a few choices. Choose 'Manual Config'.
This will open a new window... Under 'Authentication' drop-downs, choose 'Auto-Detect' (for both in-comeing and outgoing) and click 'Re-Test'.
AutoDetect.png
3) Mine came up with 'Normal Password' method of Authentication.

4) Click Done. Tbird authenticates with Gmail and creates the IMAP account in the browser pane.

5) Click on your inbox and you should begin to see your remote-hosted folders and emails populate the browser pane. It took a few seconds for this to occur, might have just been temporary bandwidth congestion.

But I can now create and use my GMail IMAP account.

I have to give our friend Administrollaattori a tip of the hat. He suggested this very thing, or something much like it a page or so previous.
All the same, I have to wonder if this authentication method is as secure as OAuth2?
Maybe someone here knows?

My hope is that the Ubuntu people will take a hard look at Thunderbird's security and bring us up to date, even if it means skipping way ahead on the Mozilla version history.

Hope this helps and thanks Mint Forum senior members for lending a hand to us all.

Allen
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

Type: IMAP
Server Name: imap.gmail.com
User Name: Your FULL email address
Port: 993 (this should be automatically set when you select SSL)
Secure connection: SSL/TLS
Secure authentication: normal password or OAuth2 (recommended)
SuperSapien
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SuperSapien »

I'm also experiencing the same problem. :( It suppose to be fixed in Thunderbird 52.1.0. : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1157719
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

Teksonik wrote:Type: IMAP
Server Name: imap.gmail.com
User Name: Your FULL email address
Port: 993 (this should be automatically set when you select SSL)
Secure connection: SSL/TLS
Secure authentication: normal password or OAuth2 (recommended)
I just could not get it to work with OAuth2 since the "new and improved" GMail authentication window came to town.
So I tried 'Auto-Detect' and it recommended 'Normal Password' for both in-coming and out-going.
I figure OAuth2 would be more secure, but until something changes, this is what works.

My pre-existing installs of T-bird 45.8.0 are using OAuth2.
For whatever reason, the new install won't work with OAuth2.

Maybe now that I have the IMAP account set up, I should try switching over to OAuth2...
Might give that a try to see if it will fly.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

No, didn't work!
When I switched it over from 'Normal Password' to OAuth2 and then tried to view my IMAP folders in the browser pane, I got the "new and improved" Gmail authentication window, which of course did not work.
Teksonik

Post by Teksonik »

SuperSapien wrote:I'm also experiencing the same problem. :( It suppose to be fixed in Thunderbird 52.1.0. : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1157719
Sorry I didn't see your post before my response above. Yes I had to update T-Bird even on Win 10 for Gmail to work with normal settings. :)

Thanks for the link.......it leads to this:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbi ... easenotes/

"Fixed : Google Oauth setup can sometimes not progress to the next step"

So patience is required until the new version is provided in the Update Manager or the more adventurous might update manually. I'll wait............ :D
liar666

Post by liar666 »

ThB 45.8.0 + Lightning 4.7.8 + ProviderForGoogleCal 2.6 crashes regularly. Disabling addons works, so I assumed the problem came from AddOns. I already reported the problem but got no satisfying answer (unsubscribing + re-subscribing all calendars - ~15 in my case - everytime ThB crashed is not possible for me)...
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1355420

I tried to create a new Profile (with only my emails), while waiting for the problem to be solved. Now I encounter the exact same problem as yours: impossible to click "Next" on the Google Auth webpage. My config is already set to OAuth2...

Return to “Software & Applications”