Thunderbird 45.8.0 hangs on new Gmail password window<SOLVED>

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
liar666

Re: Thunderbird 45.8.0 hangs on new Gmail password window

Post by liar666 »

Hi again,

I've reported the bug to mozilla here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1364006

Please pursue the discussion there....
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

I have Thunderbird 45.8.0 and am trying to update my passwords.
I've read several "How To's" but each time I change the SMTP password, it fails to send.
There doesn't seem to be an issue changing the IMAP password.
It doesn't matter whether the passwords are the same or not, but if I go back to my original [weak] password all is OK.
Should I wait for the new [52] version, or could I be doing something wrong ?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

norm.h wrote:if I go back to my original [weak] password all is OK.
This sounds, as if you never changed the password on the mail server.

No update will and can do anything about it.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

I think you're right - I can't remember ever having changed the passwords :oops:
But I'm trying to be good...............

Would it be better to set up Thunderbird as new?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If you want to continue to use your e-mail account of your provider, you need to change the password there. This has nothing to do, if you use a fresh TB-profile or no e-mail account at all.
CoverYourActions

Post by CoverYourActions »

asciiman wrote:
administrollaattori wrote: The problem is that Thunderbird wants OAuth2 as an authentication. The solution is to set normal password as an authentication.
Does Thunderbird only use Authentication once on it's initial registration with an IMAP server? (I honestly don't know).
This problem seems only to effect those of us with fresh installs of Thunderbird (fresh OS install).
The same version of Thunderbird 45.8.0 on machines that pre-date the new Gmail verification window seems to work fine.
This is my own experience and corroborated by Teksonik above.

My older install of Thunderbird 45.8.0 ("Server Settings") shows OAuth2 as the Authentication method.
It is working just fine with Gmail and other IMAP accounts. But keep in mind it was set up PRIOR TO the new Gmail registration/verification window.
So if changing the Authentication to NORMAL PASSWORD is the solution, why does my older install of T-Bird work with OAuth2?
Unless that Authentication is only used for the initial registration of Thunderbird/Gmail?? (asking honestly).

I am having the same problem In Ubuntu with Thunderbird 45.8.0, this is not a fresh install (about 2 months old) and the problem started about midnight UTC - 6 / 10May2017

Alan

Please advise.
nuimk

Post by nuimk »

Hi all,

Download the latest version of thunderbird, try to login with that version. You should be able to login to gmail account.
Then close the latest version of thunderbird. When you open Thunderbird 45.8.0, you should see the gmail account in the list.
JimHabib
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JimHabib »

Does anybody really know what is going on with this problem? Really?

I myself can probably do the least of all of you as far as Mint and Linux go because I have only recently turned from Microsoft. I am no whiz kid with Microsoft but I have been with it (grudgingly) for a while, think DOS 1.1. My Commodore 64 did a great job but the weight of IBM put that into the dust of forgotten time.

Linux Mint has worked well for this old guy since being installed two months ago. Yes I have had the many transitional problems of newbies but all and all it is a good system and the best part it is a great operating system with a lot of helpers on this forum, however I do not have the privilege of doing much experimental work here in China. The Great Firewall of China means I MUST use a VPN so when I removed T-Bird from this computer it somehow messed up my VPN. I will now wipe Linux Mint off this computer and for the third time install Linux Mint back on fresh.

Well at least I am getting to know the system and that's a good thing but at 82 years of age I am slowing down a bit.

See you later.

Jim
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

Hey folks!
Just saw a new upstream security update for T-Bird in my Mint Update Mgr.
They jumped T-Bird up to 52.1.1 so maybe your voices were heard.
If you use Lightning, it will want to update to version 5.4.

Anyone out there confirmed it as solved?
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

A user in another thread wrote, that after this update his problem was solved. So likely yours also.
JimHabib
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JimHabib »

I just want to know, "Who did the repair Thunderbird or someone else?"

I am back on-line.

Thank you,

Jim
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

JimHabib wrote:I just want to know, "Who did the repair Thunderbird or someone else?"
Nobody. The Ubuntu maintainers finally updated the repository with the current TB version.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

Cosmo. wrote:
JimHabib wrote:I just want to know, "Who did the repair Thunderbird or someone else?"
Nobody. The Ubuntu maintainers finally updated the repository with the current TB version.
That is possible.
Although Gmail may have contributed as well.

I just verified the fix on one of my test machines: T-Bird 52.1.1 fresh off the Ubuntu repository does indeed seem to fix the issue.
I created a new Gmail IMAP account via Tbird 52.1.1 and it successfully authenticated through the Gmail log in window, all links and buttons working in that panel. Tbird automatically established OAuth2 authentication for the Gmail IMAP account.

Thanks to everyone here who contributed. Especially Cosmo, Administrollari, and TekSonic.
Also to those people who were reporting this problem over at the Gmail forum, especially CloudEight, thanks for your reporting.
Thanks to the dev's over at Mozilla who worked on this one and also to the people who administrate the Ubuntu repos.
Thanks for bringing Tbird up to date for the Ubuntu community.

I am marking this one as solved.
Teksonik

Re: Thunderbird 45.8.0 hangs on new Gmail password window<SOLVED>

Post by Teksonik »

See all that was needed was a little patience.....and to contact the people who can actually fix the problem. :mrgreen:
JimHabib
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JimHabib »

asciiman wrote:
Cosmo. wrote:
That is possible.
Although Gmail may have contributed as well.

I just verified the fix on one of my test machines: T-Bird 52.1.1 fresh off the Ubuntu repository does indeed seem to fix the issue.
I created a new Gmail IMAP account via Tbird 52.1.1 and it successfully authenticated through the Gmail log in window, all links and buttons working in that panel. Tbird automatically established OAuth2 authentication for the Gmail IMAP account.

Thanks to everyone here who contributed. Especially Cosmo, Administrollari, and TekSonic.
Also to those people who were reporting this problem over at the Gmail forum, especially CloudEight, thanks for your reporting.
Thanks to the dev's over at Mozilla who worked on this one and also to the people who administrate the Ubuntu repos.
Thanks for bringing Tbird up to date for the Ubuntu community.

I am marking this one as solved.
I am pretty new at this stuff, (posting to a forum) so I might say something the wrong way, however I want to thank everyone for the fix. I am an old repairman that has worked by myself for over fifty years. I very seldom interact with others during a repair. That does not mean I do not learn from others because I do read what others say on these forums.

I guess what I am trying to get across is that there are probably much more than a thousand folks relying on you "forum people" that post what is happening in real time. You guys are fantastic and need a thank you from time to time. This was a big problem fixed for me. I find that I rely more and more on the INTERNET living here in Beijing, China.

Thanks one and all,
Jim
elmarts
Level 4
Level 4

Post by elmarts »

A version of the same bug, this time with TB 52.2.1 (64-bit), Lightning v. 5.4 under linux mint 64 bit- there is no google provider that is compatible in the Mozilla add-ons system. As soon as I try to add any of the xpi versions of the provider, TB hangs, and keeps kicking out script hang error windows. It just started this week. Has any progress been made on this?
- Elmar
Dual boot win 10 & Linux Mint
Release Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia 64-bit
Kernel Linux 5.15.0-91-generic x86_64
MATE 1.26.0
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

This is something new that has not shown up for me yet.
Has anyone started a new topic for this question?
It might be more appropriate to do this as it very likely is the result of completely different aspects of T-bird.
(Btw I have noticed some small glitches in Firefox transitioning with the new plug in architecture.)

You can always link back to this topic as a reference item.

Best,
Allen

Return to “Software & Applications”