How to Configure The File Browsers in User Applications So That All Hidden Files Are Not Shown

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
royg
Level 1
Level 1

How to Configure The File Browsers in User Applications So That All Hidden Files Are Not Shown

Post by royg » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:27 am

Hi,

I'm training a new User in their conversion from Windows to Linux. They are using Linux Mint 18.1 Serena Cinnamon. When using the Nemo File Browser, I can set hidden files to not be displayed, and all works as expected.

However, when using applications such as LibreOffice, Gimp, Inkscape, and many others, the File Browser within those applications does not have an obvious configuration method so that hidden files are not displayed. In the case of the example applications that I've listed above, I'm pretty sure that all of the example applications are calling the same File Browser (based on the look & feel of the file browser). Having the hidden files displayed by the file browser in these applications has caused the User some confusion, and a few inadvertently damaged or deleted hidden files (and more support work for me).

So, does anyone know if there's a way of configuring that file browser that these applications use to not display the hidden files and directories, when that file browser is called by these apps ?

Looking forward to your answers.

Thanks,

RoyG

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: How to Configure The File Browsers in User Applications So That All Hidden Files Are Not Shown

Post by xenopeek » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:38 am

You can press Ctrl+H to toggle showing hidden files in the file chooser dialog. The choice affects all applications that use the Gtk file chooser dialog and is stored persistently. If you have a user that toggles such things accidentally you could for example add this command to their startup applications to reset to the default of not showing hidden files in the file chooser dialog:
dconf reset /org/gtk/settings/file-chooser/show-hidden

You need to install dconf-tools to get the dconf command available on your system.

royg
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How to Configure The File Browsers in User Applications So That All Hidden Files Are Not Shown

Post by royg » Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:34 am

xenopeek wrote:You can press Ctrl+H to toggle showing hidden files in the file chooser dialog. The choice affects all applications that use the Gtk file chooser dialog and is stored persistently. If you have a user that toggles such things accidentally you could for example add this command to their startup applications to reset to the default of not showing hidden files in the file chooser dialog:
dconf reset /org/gtk/settings/file-chooser/show-hidden

You need to install dconf-tools to get the dconf command available on your system.
Many thanks for the quick response. Your answer is the solution I was looking for. Problem solved !

Thanks

RoyG

Return to “Software & Applications”