Firefox. search engine keeps reverting to Startpage

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kilz

Firefox. search engine keeps reverting to Startpage

Post by Kilz »

Let me start out by saying I am not a newbie. I am a long time Linux user that started out on Ubuntu Breezy Badger.

Mint Mate 18 64bit

The Problem. The search engine preferences keep getting changed back to Startpage. I have changed them to Google. I have deleted all the other search engines including Startpage. I am not sure when the change happens, but I find that my choice is gone and Startpage has taken its place. No one else uses this computer.

Any suggestions to stop this happening?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Lemongrass38

Re: Firefox. search engine keeps reverting to Startpage

Post by Lemongrass38 »

Have you tried creating a new Firefox profile?
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

That is one of the things I tried and it still did it. This has been going on for a few weeks. While it is a minor issue, its a nagging one. I have done an extensive search and cant find the answer. It may just be faster to move to another distro with Mate.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

It is strange, that you get Startpage in a new FF-profile, as this search engine is not installed by default.

Create a fresh new user account and check there. (This is not a solution,, but an investigation step.)
Kilz

Post by Kilz »

I was hoping for a fast fix. The truth is I'm tired of of fooling with it. Thanks for the help, but I got rid of Mint last night and put Ubuntu Mate in. I thought I would never install Ubuntu again after the Unity bannings. All it took was an hour to setup everything as I had it thanks to my partition scheme.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

A new account would have cost you a few minutes (if at all), but this your decision. Please understand, that I cannot follow your consequence.
1Crimson1

Post by 1Crimson1 »

In case anyone else views this thread, I was able to fix this by purging Firefox, then reinstalling the browser.

sudo apt-get purge firefox
sudo apt-get install firefox

I'm not sure if this was caused by Malware on the system, or a bad extension/plugin, or was some kind of by-product of coming off of the Beta channel for Firefox, but it only effected Firefox. Chrome, Chromium, and Opera where fine.

Return to “Software & Applications”