Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Cursor is jumping around

Post by KIMW »

The cursor of my laptop is jumping around and I can't really control it from the touchpad. It was so annoying that I actually uninstalled the touchpad (which was a Synaptics touchpad, I think). Because just to disable the "Touchpad while typing" In System Settings was not doing anything. I read lot of stuff about this problem and I haven't found a durable solution. The only thing that is working at the moment is that I reverse to Kernel: 4.4.0-53 (the original one).
Anyway, I am using Mint KDE and recently I found https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... g-touchpad and I was wondering if I could install it (because it's Debian so I am not sure)?
Distro: Linux Mint 18.3 KDE
Laptop: Dell Latitude-E7470. RAM 16GB. Dual core: Intel Core i7-6600U. Graphic Card: Intel Sky Lake..
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Cursor is jumping around

Post by jimallyn »

KIMW wrote:I haven't found a durable solution. The only thing that is working at the moment is that I reverse to Kernel: 4.4.0-53 (the original one).
You already had the durable solution: kernel 4.4.0-53. Was there a reason you changed to a different kernel?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Furthermore, if you are actually using Mint 18.1 KDE, then kde-config-touchpad is available for install from Synaptic (not Synaptics - different thing) or Software Manager. The first place to look for any software to install is always in the applications and repositories that Mint has provided for you. Going elsewhere is asking for trouble.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

Hi jimallyn,

With kernel 4.4.0-53. I cannot modify the settings of the touchpad. In fact it says "No touchpad found". It's why I updated my system each time there was a new kernel (4.4.0-62, 4.4.0-77) hoping it would change and it actually did. I could modify the settings of the touchpad but since the cursor was then jumping all around I came back to kernel 4.4.0-53.

I installed "kde-config-touchpad" from Software Manager (thank you) but it does not do anything, even after having typed the command line:

Code: Select all

kcmshell4 touchpad
On kernel 4.4.0-77 if the touchpad "xserver-xorg-input-synaptics" is uninstalled then the cursor does not jump BUT then the touchpad is not working.
Laptop: Dell Latitude-E7470. RAM 16GB. Dual core: Intel Core i7-6600U. Graphic Card: Intel Sky Lake..
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

To determine the type of touchpad i have on my laptop I typed:

egrep -i 'synap|alps|etps' /proc/bus/input/devices
but it does not say anything...

I tried also:

xinput
and got

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Sleep Button id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Integrated_Webcam_HD id=10 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=11 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ Dell WMI hotkeys id=13 [slave keyboard (3)]
↳ DELL Wireless hotkeys

Which does not say much about the touchpad I have.
Isn't it strange??

I read here https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=185329 that some people found a solution by blacklisting i2c_hid.
How can I do that??
KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

jimallyn wrote:
KIMW wrote:I haven't found a durable solution. The only thing that is working at the moment is that I reverse to Kernel: 4.4.0-53 (the original one).
You already had the durable solution: kernel 4.4.0-53. Was there a reason you changed to a different kernel?
By asking me this, do you mean I should not have had updated the kernel??
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

KIMW wrote:By asking me this, do you mean I should not have had updated the kernel??
A lot of Linux users take the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to updating kernels, unless they have a good reason to do so, like the new kernel has drivers for newer hardware in it, or a security problem has been found in the old kernel, or that sort of thing.

KIMW
Level 3
Level 3

Post by KIMW »

So, unless i notice an obvious improvement on my computer do you mean I should not use latest kernel?

Return to “Software & Applications”