SOLVED: dd and persistence

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jojopara
Level 3
Level 3

SOLVED: dd and persistence

Post by jojopara »

Hello,

Is there a way to make a persistent partition on a USB with the dd command? For example, to add something in sudo dd bs=4M if=/home/jojo/Downloads/Disto_name.iso of=/dev/sdb && sync

Thank you!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MintyO

Re: dd and persistence

Post by MintyO »

Is this: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=239147#p1275381 what you want?
jojopara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jojopara »

Almost what I want! From the link you gave me, I installed MultiSystem which I have not heard of. It did install persistence on Linux Mint, but gave an error on Manjaro.

What I wnat is a dd command like ti one I have given in my first post to include a possibility for persistence of my choice in GB. I have gone through man dd and not found such a possibility so your answer was of great help.

Thank you MintyO!
MintyO

Post by MintyO »

So you want persistence but it has to be done with dd? I'm sorry, I'm still confused what you're asking. :?

With sticks you have different options: full, normal install (with as much "persistence" as there's space); live-image with storage partition (no persistence to settings, but room to save stuff); persistence, but not a normal install (so can be more readily used on multiple machines). First two I have done, the third is what (I think) you want.

No dd involved, but this tutorial: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=229086 is about persistence over 4GB with Multisystem.
jojopara
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jojopara »

MintyO,

I seem not to be able to express what I want :( My idea is something like: sudo dd bs=4M if=/home/jojo/Downloads/NAME_OF_DISTROiso of=/dev/sdb && sync persistence 4 GB

Yes, I think it is the third option you have mentioned that I want.

Thank you!
Mute Ant

Post by Mute Ant »

"Is there a way to make a persistent partition on a USB with the dd command?" No. If you use dd to write the unmodified distribution ISO to a storage device, that's what you get when you boot.

If you want to use the space left over after a dd has written the ISO image, the fdisk command can do that, but it won't mount automatically as part of the Live Session.

Return to “Software & Applications”