Dropbox Failure to Open

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Qualtrough

Dropbox Failure to Open

Post by Qualtrough »

I recently installed Dropbox from the Software Manager. I see the icon under Menu/Internet/Dropbox, but when I click through Menu/Internet/ and click on the Dropbox icon nothing happens. I have un-installed and re-installed with the same result.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I might do to get it working I would appreciate it, thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bertradio
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Dropbox Failure to Open

Post by bertradio »

Do you see a tray icon? Clicking on Dropbox starts the app and the tray icon. Clicking on the tray icon opens the menu.

On occasion, the tray icon does not display even though Dropbox is running. You can check everything on the command line by typing dropbox. You will see a list of options. But the best way to deal with Dropbox is with the tray icon.
MegaV0lt
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MegaV0lt »

In Cinnamon Dropbox starts too early, so no Trayicon is displayed.

Try setting a startdelay in startprograms (10s). After a restart the trayicon shoud be visible. But after an update of Dropbox is will be reset to 0 again.

To get it quickly you have to kill teh dropbox in taskmanager and restart it via menu
Spinat schmeckt am besten, wenn man ihn kurz vor dem Verzehr durch ein großes Steak ersetzt
Pat D

Post by Pat D »

Thanks, MegaV0lt
I just added Dropbox too, the same issue. No clue till now. :D
theaterghost

Post by theaterghost »

First check if dropbox is running, using the terminal type:
]

Code: Select all

$ dropbox status
you should get

Up to date
if not, sure the file /usr/bin/dropbox is installed. This is a python script that will download the lastest version of dropbox to your ~/.dropbox-dist folder, if you don't have it. I have seen previously that dropbox installed from the repository will mistakenly use the /var folder, which requires root priviledges to write to.
Check for this line in the /usr/bin/dropbox script

PARENT_DIR = os.path.expanduser("~")
I prefer to install the deb file from http://www.dropbox.com
RaptorCyrus

Post by RaptorCyrus »

You can still use web page until fixed

Return to “Software & Applications”