Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Mint Code Editor for Personal Web Site

Post by soundchaser59 » Fri May 26, 2017 8:53 pm

I have been doing ASP and C# / SQL at work for several years, but mostly emphasizing desktop apps for internal operations. But my personal web site was done a long time ago using simple html and some very basic javascript. It's done, I've cleaned house and I have a fresh slate to work with on my host site. It's a Windows based host with PHP capability, and I believe it will do MySQL but I'll have to check on that.

Now I am ready to update my personal web site. The focus of it will be providing some kind of inline jukebox site where people can play my tunes, with a basic but atractive graphical interface for the playlist. Perhaps an option to buy and download tunes will come later, so the potential for a shopping cart is always there.

While the minimal exposure I have had to other web code has been PHP, I'm willing to learn and dabble in something new. I want javascript to be an integral part of this task, and I'm guessing that HTML 5 is the new web code language of choice.

All that said, what do you guys recommend for an enhanced code editor? I've used Visual Studio at work for 15 years, but I'm not looking for extreme gui ide here. I want to have the perks of an enhanced code editor but i want to have the nitty gritty raw code on the screen, not a bunch of graphical drag and drop tools. I want to know what the coe is and what it's doing at all times. I'd love to have suggestions for which language to use, but I'm pretty sure HTML5 is going to be the top pick in that area. What editors work best for hacking raw code?

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Mint Code Editor for Personal Web Site

Post by phd21 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi "soundchaser59",

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

There are many posts in this forum on this topic already, if you search for them.

1.) Most webhosts have WYSIWYG editors (these allow code editing too), and or code editors, available for your website. Have you checked your webhost "control panel(s)"?

2.) There are many Website Builder applications and many code editors that can handle what you want to do, like "Atom", or "BlueFish", SeaMonkey, Google's Web Designer, etc...

BlueFish editor - main website
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

Install latest BlueFish editor using their PPA
https://launchpad.net/~klaus-vormweg/+a ... u/bluefish
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:klaus-vormweg/bluefish

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install bluefish

Install Atom Text Editor In Ubuntu Via PPA [32bit + 64bit], Updated: February 09, 2017
http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/install- ... a-ppa.html

Google's Web Designer
https://www.google.com/webdesigner/

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:52 pm

phd21 wrote:It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

There are many posts in this forum on this topic already, if you search for them.

1.) Most webhosts have WYSIWYG editors (these allow code editing too), and or code editors, available for your website. Have you checked your webhost "control panel(s)"?

2.) There are many Website Builder applications and many code editors that can handle what you want to do, like "Atom", or "BlueFish", SeaMonkey, Google's Web Designer, etc...

BlueFish editor - main website
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

Install latest BlueFish editor using their PPA
https://launchpad.net/~klaus-vormweg/+a ... u/bluefish
To install this using the PPA method, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:klaus-vormweg/bluefish

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install bluefish

Install Atom Text Editor In Ubuntu Via PPA [32bit + 64bit], Updated: February 09, 2017
http://www.webupd8.org/2014/05/install- ... a-ppa.html

Google's Web Designer
https://www.google.com/webdesigner/

Hope this helps ...
Thanks for the tips.....

System: Kernel: 4.4.0-66-generic i686 (32 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.0.7 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
Machine: Mobo: Gigabyte
CPU: Single core AMD model unknown (-UP-) cache: 1024 KB
flags: bmips: 5424 speed: 2700 MHz
Graphics: Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] Redwood XT Radeon HD
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-66-generic
Network: Card: NVIDIA Ethernet
driver: forcedeth
speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full
Drives: HDD Total Size: 168.1GB (36.0% used)
audio: yes dvd: yes rw: cd-r,cd-rw,dvd-r,dvd-ram state: running
Info: Memory: 2013.8MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (sudo) inxi: 2.2.35

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:59 pm

phd21 wrote:There are many posts in this forum on this topic already, if you search for them.
Did, seems I could not conjure the correct search terms to get pertinent results. Got a lot of threads back with people describing their web development jobs and web development obstacles. Anything pertinent seemed to be targeting a gui ide.
phd21 wrote:1.) Most webhosts have WYSIWYG editors (these allow code editing too), and or code editors, available for your website. Have you checked your webhost "control panel(s)"?
The web host tools (at 1and1, for the low level hosting package I have) are absolutely geared to non-programmers. Checked that first, wasn't impressed. The nicer tools come only with the more expensive hosting contracts. Happy with the host at the price, but looking for my own tools to use to code.
phd21 wrote:2.) There are many Website Builder applications and many code editors that can handle what you want to do, like "Atom", or "BlueFish", SeaMonkey, Google's Web Designer, etc...
Targeting code editors here. Rather not use a builder app, they seem to hide too many things from the coder, as if they are targeting 60% non-programmers and 40% novice or intermediate programmers.

Hope that isn't too self defeating.... but thanks for asking the questions up front. I will investigate your other tips above.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 » Fri May 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Hi "soundchaser59",

You are welcome.

It would help to have the complete results of the "Inxi -Fxzd" command.

Your 32-bit single core CPU system with 2gb of system ram is underpowered for the Cinnamon Edition of Linux Mint, and you should be using version 17.3 or 18.1 not 18; you can update to 18.1 through the Mint Update Manager. I would highly recommend you using Linux Mint Mate or Xfce 17.3 or 18.1 (32-bit) with this computer hardware.

I think "BlueFish", "Atom", "SeaMonkey", etc... would be editors that you would like and would certainly work for what you want to do.

Previous forum link with good instructions to install SeaMonkey and other information
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=239746

Linux Mint forum - How to install SeaMonkey
viewtopic.php?t=236000

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Sat May 27, 2017 2:38 am

I cut out the results that I didn't think would matter......you got the gist of it, that my old machine is under powered. But it's just slow, otherwise it does get the job done, especially if I don't try to multi task. I'll scrape up some $$$ for newer hardware in the near future. I will end up replacing my music studio machine, and bringing the old music machine up here for the Linux stuff. It's a Core 2 Duo 2.7ghz with 8GB ram, significantly more qualified than this old (formerly) XP machine.

I really like the sound of the Bluefish ide. But the Google Web Designer looks attractive as well, with the automatic formatting for different hardware platforms, while still giving me access to the raw code. It may have a slight edge since it is directly pertinent to how most people would be looking at my page and listening to my tunes......in some form of a google app or page. I may try both, I want to at least toy with the Bluefish app, to see if it really does what they say it does. That would be cool.

I figured I have nothing to lose by upgrading to 18.1, I was planning to try that next, in the next day or two....

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sat May 27, 2017 7:24 am

Bluefish is a fine code editor, but overall I prefer Geany.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Sat May 27, 2017 8:43 am

austin.texas wrote:Bluefish is a fine code editor, but overall I prefer Geany.
Because of the way it looks? or is there more to it? Is it more friendly in some way? One of the "10 best...." articles I read mentioned it by name.

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sat May 27, 2017 8:55 am

They are pretty close. Bluefish has an excellent "Advanced" function for searching for text (Find/Find and Replace) in all (not loaded) files.
I like Geany because the sidebar displays the "classes" in my .css files, making it easy to jump to the right section quickly - as you can see in the screenshot.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Sat May 27, 2017 1:20 pm

austin.texas wrote:I like Geany because the sidebar displays the "classes" in my .css files, making it easy to jump to the right section quickly - as you can see in the screenshot.
Ahhhh! That would be nice. Many times I have hit the Find button just to jump to a particular place in the style sheet. The class listing would be very efficient. I'll probably give it a test drive.

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Sat May 27, 2017 4:44 pm

phd21 wrote:....Google's Web Designer...
When I click to download the Google Web Designer (Beta) it looks like it is intended only for 64 bit systems.

Please select your download package
64 bit .deb (For Debian/Ubuntu)
64 bit .rpm (For Fedora/openSUSE)

austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas » Sat May 27, 2017 4:49 pm

That would not surprise me. Google has discontinued Chrome for 32bit systems.
Linux Linx 2018

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:56 am

Really like the Geany IDE, it seems to resemble a kind of self-taught workflow that I got used to a few years ago when I started the personal web site. Nice to have what amounts to a near real time wysiwiyg when I run it side by side with the browser, so I can see results immediately. Keeping the directory structure sensible, so only a migrate from local to host will be required to see the pages online.

I do want to use some of this holiday weekend time to test drive the Bluefish IDE though. I'll do that later today. I suspect the two IDE's will be similar in power and workflow, for the simple edit-and-test style I have.

This is so much better than using Notepad++ in Windows....Whoa! :lol: 8)

installing Bluefish now.....

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:43 pm

Bluefish is very similar, with a few more options for tagging, etc..... and I think it has an FTP connectivity built in for uploading changes.

It only took me about 40 minutes to establish the same feel and workflow that I had going in Geany. I'm going to use both for a few days, side by side, with little visual variations in the rendering so I can keep track at a glance which is which. But I like them both.

I wish we could switch to something like this at work. This is way more fun than working in Visual Studio. 8) :roll: :mrgreen:

Return to “Software & Applications”