Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Re: Firefox 53.0.3 keeps crashing after update

Postby Cosmo. » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:13 pm

As I already wrote I did a quick search for you and came to the result, that SSE2 is not supported.
On the other hand: FF needs SSE2 since version 49, if this is not the case FF is supposed to fail to launch at all. So from taking this result on your live system, SSE2 should be supported - why ever.

SprinterDriver wrote:There seems to be impossible to update FF while in live-cd session, so that I cannot test FF version 53.

What happens? How did you proceed? Was FF closed, when you tried to update the package?

I cannot tell anything about Chromium. But this thread seems to indicate, that SSE2 is needed.

SprinterDriver
Level 3
Level 3

Postby SprinterDriver » Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi, sorry I wasn't clear on that.

First, most sources on web (from what I can find when searching for "force update Firefox") say that the only way is to use the programs "about" dialog box in order to make FF find an updated version automatic. In live-cd session that simply doesn't happends, FF doesn't offer the option to update itself.

Software manager doesn't offer a newer version of FF than 50.0.2.

[off topic]
Anyway - I don't have that critical need for exactly Firefox, so I have started trying Midori and Qupzilla - and even Lynx. This is my little unofficial test on those web browser running on this specific computer.

Midori
Very unstable (maybe due to lack of sse2 on cpu?). A typical norwegian newspaper (lot of interactive contents and ads) seems to load fine, until the program just quit.
On this forum: I managed to log in to this forum to tell you guys that I was using Midori, but it self-terminated without error message while I was writing test into the edit field. So I gave up using Midori.

Qupzilla
Seems to be stable enough to use. In fact I use Qupzilla right now when I write this.
However, a typical norwegian news site will probably make the program self-terminate.

So therefore I decided to open those web browsers from Terminal just to see if the self-terminations gives any error messages, and it does:

Code: Select all

<username>@<computername> ~ $ midori
openjdk version "1.8.0_131"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_131-8u131-b11-0ubuntu1.16.04.2-b11)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 25.131-b11, mixed mode)
Illegal instruction
<username>@<computername> ~ $ qupzilla
AdBlockSubscription:: loadSubscription invalid format of adblock file "/home/<username>/.config/qupzilla/profiles/default/adblock/customlist.txt"
QupZilla: 0 extensions loaded
QIODevice::read (QFile, "/home/<username>/.config/qupzilla/profiles/default/cookies.dat"): device not open
Illegal instruction
<username>@<computername> ~ $

Without knowing the details about browser engines and that kind of stuff I can only guess that those web browsers use those sse2 resource when it gets to a web page that requires it. I really don't know.

Lynx
For a Linux newbie I just had to give this a go. It was actually quite fun reading the news using Lynx - absolutely no graphic ads whatsoever.
It reminds me of text-tv that was common from the 90's.
However - I couldn't log into this forum, I got this in return:

←←←→→→                                                                                                                                 Sucuri Website Firewall
   Website Firewall Back to sucuri.net

Some parts of the interface required to process actions using JavaScript. Please add an exception in your browser to allow the execution of
   JavaScript code in this domain.

Access Denied - Sucuri Website Firewall

If you are the site owner (or you manage this site), please whitelist your IP or you think this block is an error please open a support ticket and
   make sure to include the block details (displayed in the box below), so we can assist you in troubleshooting the issue.

Block details:

Your IP:      62.63.58.138
   URL:          forums.linuxmint.com/./ucp.php?mode=login&sid=216dbb92f86a83c342dbe724e1850be2
   Your Browser: Lynx/2.8.9dev.8 libwww-FM/2.14 SSL-MM/1.4.1 GNUTLS/3.4.9
   Block ID:     FBP006
   Block reason: Fake bot access.
   Time:         Mon Jun 5 19:00:49 2017
   Server ID:    cp15008
   © 2017 Sucuri Inc. All rights reserved. All rights reserved. Privacy

So I'll continue using Qupzilla some time and browsing through some common forums. I consider setting the thread as solved because lack of SSE2 seems to be the main reason because FF doesn't work.
Linux Mint 18.1 Mate 32 bit.
Runs fine on AMD2000+ / 1GB ram / NV40 [GeForce 6800] / MSI MS-6380E (Hardware not too much to brags about)

Habitual
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Habitual » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:04 pm

53.0.3+linuxmint1+rosa bombs here also, and it is recent and never any "about"crashes". Just an "oops" type box and 2 choices.
If you've never run

apt-get clean

check /var/cache/apt/archives/ for a previous version.deb
or a gander at http://sourceforge.net/projects/ubuntuz ... lla-build/

I recommend a clean Firefox profile before starting any newly installed version of Firefox on your local system.

When you find a version you like,

sudo apt-mark hold firefox
(may be named differently. Firefox-Mozilla-build or smth llke that)
and it will be held, (unless and until a dist-upgrade level operation is performed)

Edit: I missed the "live-cd session" reference. So punt. :mrgreen:

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Postby Cosmo. » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:20 am

SprinterDriver wrote:First, most sources on web (from what I can find when searching for "force update Firefox") say that the only way is to use the programs "about" dialog box in order to make FF find an updated version automatic. In live-cd session that simply doesn't happends, FF doesn't offer the option to update itself.

This does not apply for the Firefox installation via the official repositories (what you have of course in the live system). Even in an installed Mint it would not work.

What you have to do is this: Open in the live system the update manager, do a refresh, now you should get a list of available updates. Deselect all but FF, than apply the update. This should work.

Regarding the alternative browsers. The pity with a number of them is, that they have been not updated for a long time, so security issues are to be expected. Example Qupzilla: In principle a fine browser. But the developer decided some time ago, to no longer provide binaries for new versions. And the maintainers of the official repositories do obviously not provide the binaries also. I consider it as a huge security leak, that this browser is still offered, although not maintained. So you either have to compile it yourself or leave it.

laederlappen
Level 2
Level 2

Postby laederlappen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:30 am

Yup, on Windows, version 49 started with SSE2.
On Linux, SSE2 is required since version 53.

Cosmo.
Level 22
Level 22

Re: [solved] Firefox 53.0.3 keeps crashing after update

Postby Cosmo. » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:51 am

laederlappen, you are right. I rechecked the FF change logs and indeed for FF 49 to 52 SSE2 was not yet required on Linux systems. But with FF 53 a processor from at least the Pentium 4 generation or amd k8 is the minimum. The here used amd athlon xp belongs to the amd k7 generation and is now not more sufficient.

That means, that for this old hardware the game is nearly over. One option, that remains, it to use FF ESR 52, this will get updates until about the beginning of the next year.

Return to “Software & Applications”