Viewer that can horizontally flip images

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ccoyle
Level 2
Level 2

Viewer that can horizontally flip images

Post by ccoyle »

Can someone recommend a linux image viewer that can flip the image horizontally?

I work on electronic gear. Service manuals often show printed circuit board foil patterns from the top (component) side. "Flipping" these images horizontally gives you the mirror view from the underside of the board, which is useful for locating components "blind."

Honestly, I have yet to find a linux viewer that can rival IrfanView. I will not run Wine.
normal.jpg
flipped.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caz
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Viewer that can horizontally flip images

Post by caz »

Hi, ccoyle.

Gimp can flip images horizontally. If you open up Gimp and look on the tool bar for an icon that has an arrow pointing both to the left and right, click on it and you will see a tool option that says horizontal or vertical. Select the one you want then click on the image. Then the image can be saved.

Not an image viewer as such but it should do the job if all else fails.
Some stuff I made using FOSS http://caz747.deviantart.com/
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

All the default viewers can do this. Which have you tried?
Go to Edit in the toolbar, then choose Flip Horizontal
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

ccoyle wrote:Can someone recommend a linux image viewer that can flip the image horizontally?
I do not recall ever using an image viewer that wasn't able to flip and rotate an image.
Honestly, I have yet to find a linux viewer that can rival IrfanView. I will not run Wine.
Take a look at XnViewMP. It supports over 500 file formats, it has an expanded set of tools for editing images, and it has batch processing tools for renaming and conversion. Thumbnails load quickly and can be resized, and the UI can be customized.

It is easy to learn to use - fortunate, because the documentation is sorely inadequate. It has an active forum. 32-bit and 64-bit DEBs are available on the website. http://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "ccoyle",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

1.) XnViewMP is sort of like IrfanView, and it can do that easily. Just double click an image from the image browser window to focus on that image and to display the image tools, then click "Image" in the toolbar, click "Mirror", select Horizontal or Vertical axis, see pictures.

XnViewMP
- Scroll down this webpage, on the right are the easy to install Linux ".deb" files, click the 32-bit or 64-bit button that is right for your system, save the file, double click it to install it, if it does not install automatically.
http://www.xnview.com/en/xnviewmp/

Click images to view larger or original images, or right click them to open image in a new browser tab. You can then click the image to increase or decrease its size.
XnViewMP_MirrorImage_Horizontal_or_Vertical.jpg
XnViewMP_MirrorImage_Horizontal_or_Vertical2.jpg
2.) "Kolourpaint" (kolourpaint4): This is a super quick and simple to use image editor that can also easily perform a horizontal or vertical Flip or Mirror, among other tasks, see screenshot. I also use this to reduce (smooth scale) images to fit into this forum (70-80%). In the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).
Kolourpaint_FliporMirror_Image_Horizontal_or_Vertical.jpg

3.) In the "Pix" image browser, click an image, click the edit button in the upper right, then click mirror or flip ...

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
ccoyle
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ccoyle »

I appreciate all the helpful replies and suggestions. I will look at the default viewers (Mint 18.1, Cinnamon) when I get home tonight (Windows here at work). It's definitely possible that I didn't check them out thoroughly enough.

Chris
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

In KDE's Gwenview open a picture, open the menu Edit and select Mirror for horizontal "flipping" or Flip for vertical "flipping".
It's that easy.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Open the picture in pix and click in the toolbar at the right the icon to edit it. You will find the flip commands in the list.
grahamnt

Post by grahamnt »

I do not know if you heard about a PhotoViewerPro program. It might help you about your images with options such as position manipulation , color adjustment and sharpening.

Return to “Software & Applications”