Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lisabiziou
Level 1
Level 1

Postby lisabiziou » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:45 am

I got a email today saying that my skype was not up to date and i wouldnt be able to use it after 1 July.

Is this correct. is there a update coming?

lisa

administrollaattori
Level 12
Level 12

Re: skype

Postby administrollaattori » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:15 am

I think that it is better not to open those links, because they are probably some harmful links. Your (and mine) Skype is updating via normal updates via package management.

marlenejo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby marlenejo » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:17 pm

This is true. Microsoft is retiring the very old Skype Linux 4.3 client, starting June 30th. It won't be working after. It is not so bad, as the new Skype for Linux Beta 5.3 (from their site) works pretty well. It looks more like the windows counterpart. I tried it with friends and the audio-video works fine. It will also work with another contact using the windows version but the video doesn't work yet. It is expected that MS will release another version soon.

For those who like to switch, there is a lot of options but they are not very popular. You will also have to convince your contacts to install them, not an easy task. I use Wire, it works pretty good.
Last edited by marlenejo on Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linux Mint KDE, AMD FX-6300 (6 x 4Ghz), Nvidia GTX-650 TI, 8 Gig DDR3 1600, SSD Ocz Vertex 4 + Samsung 840 EVO, Seagate 1GB 7200rpm, Gigabyte Motherboard GA-970A

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Postby coffee412 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:54 pm

I got that email a few days ago about skype.

Today I installed wire but I dont have any friends to test it out on - I guess Im too much of a old geek - lol.

Actually, My friend in England is away and I normally converse with him as we play warzone2100 and such :)
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp * Samba AD * Mint 18.1 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

coder123
Level 3
Level 3

Postby coder123 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:06 pm

lisabiziou wrote:I got a email today saying that my skype was not up to date and i wouldnt be able to use it after 1 July.

Is this correct. is there a update coming?

lisa

Download and install the latest from here via the .deb pakcage https://www.skype.com/en/download-skype ... for-linux/
Linux and most of it's apps are the way it should be for the individual user. Free and and open source. And then there's Redhat for businesses that want to use Linux.

jameskga
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jameskga » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:08 pm

the skype from software manager does kinda suck. is the .deb install just as valid as the download from software manager?

does it open me up to any security flaws, or will it cause me to miss updates if i install from the deb?

administrollaattori
Level 12
Level 12

Postby administrollaattori » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:23 am

jameskga wrote:the skype from software manager does kinda suck. is the .deb install just as valid as the download from software manager?

does it open me up to any security flaws, or will it cause me to miss updates if i install from the deb?

You can download and install beta-Skype from skype.com site. When I tested beta-Skype, it had poor language support, and all crucial languages are not available. :?

When installing beta-Skype, mintupdate did not find its repos (an error message), so I removed the beta-Skype.

Faust
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Faust » Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:06 am

I've been doing long-term testing of some voip / instant-messaging apps and services .
I already considered Skype to be pretty poisonous , even before M$ bought it , and I started looking at the alternatives .

Privacy and security are major concerns for me , in both my work and personal life , so I focused on apps / services that feature -
1] End-to-end encryption
2] no central server
3] open source projects

Jitsi and Tox come out ahead of the others , for me ( I like the q-Tox variant )
Wire is OK , but I couldn't use or recommend it while the problem with weak encryption remains ( and it relies on a centralized server )

marlenejo wrote: .....
For those who like to switch, there is a lot of options but they are not very popular. You will also have to convince your contacts to install them, not an easy task. I use Wire, it works pretty good.

That's it !
The biggest problem is persuading people to ditch Skype altogether .
The term " to Skype someone " has now passed into everyday speech !
So it's going to be hard to shake off that strong association .

I have a group of contacts who are helping me to assess alternatives to Skype , but they are simply running multiple voip apps ,
and NOT leaving Skype .
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

marlenejo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby marlenejo » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Wow I didn't know that there was so much hatred for a program. Skype, while starting a digital revolution, has served millions of people around the world for almost 15 years. I don't recall having read that it was responsible for any infection during that time. It also brought peer to peer video calls. That's pretty good. One feature which I found hard to find in any other client, is the ability to call cellulars and land lines anywhere around the world for pretty cheap.
Linux Mint KDE, AMD FX-6300 (6 x 4Ghz), Nvidia GTX-650 TI, 8 Gig DDR3 1600, SSD Ocz Vertex 4 + Samsung 840 EVO, Seagate 1GB 7200rpm, Gigabyte Motherboard GA-970A

jameskga
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jameskga » Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:37 pm

Skype is pretty good at doing what it does. I think the main concern is that Microsoft owning Skype cemented the idea that however encrypted or safe your Skype calls may be, from eavesdropping or malicious practices, it is still a participant in the NSA's PRISM program. And considering those tools aren't safe forever, nor are the actual servers where our content is stored, then it's only a matter of time before the holy grail of VOIP recordings (stored in the Utah data center for example) surface.

There are lots of interesting conversations to be had about Skype, but you're right, it is a good service and unlocked easy-access global communication to hundreds of millions of people. It's just because it's so popular and corporate-controlled that it's a popular target for surveillance as well as attack. A better known example of Skype's privacy failure is that sometimes popular Twitch streamers will use Skype on the stream, which reveals their IP address, followed by kids with nothing better to do making threats from or about that IP address and getting innocent people raided by police on live stream.

The Internet's a real piranha pit, and while Skype does many cool things, it does leave a great many attack vectors open.

I do not hate Skype; in fact, I use it every day. But I keep my expectations realistic.

lmuserx4849
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lmuserx4849 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:38 am

coffee412
Level 5
Level 5

Postby coffee412 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:01 pm

On and off for the last few months I have been searching for a replacement of skype. I have a friend in England that I communicate with. Finally, I tried out wire with my friend. I think its probably one of the best replacements there is. In fact, I really do not use skype anymore.

I have heard that the encryption is weak and the use of a central server. Well, I figure I may not be up all the way on the "best software to use ladder" but I am certainly quite a few rungs (sp?) up from skype.

I have noticed these benefits using wire on my system:

1. The camera stays active when you turn it off during a call. This is kinda ideal because then its 'instant on, instant off' kind of approach. With skype I found that my camera may OR may not come back on. It was not that dependable. Im using a logitech Pro btw.

2. In skype sometimes my camera would not work. I would have to quit skype and restart it. Wired just works.

3. Picture and sound clarity are much better I have found. Even my friend commented that video/sound are much improved.

4. File transfers are so much easier. I noticed on my friends windows computer when he sends a file I have to log into skype from my browser to get it. Basically, His windows version of skype is sending a link instead of the file(s).

5. You can post a video link in the message area (for instance youtube) and it will show up as a playable video in the message area.

6. You can 'ping' someone to get their attention whether you are in a call or not.

7. My friend pointed out that wire does not show everyone that is online. Nice privacy touch here. I hate it when you get people in skype trying to get added to your list. In Skype you can do a search via criteria for whoever fits that criteria. I dont care for that. You either know them or you dont. If you dont, You should not be calling them.

Im sure there are other things I will discover as we continue to use it.

The only things that I look at that would be nice to have - and are not drawbacks at all - would be:
1. Being able to change the ring tone.

So, When I got my email about Skype I just thought "Ok, See you later!".

coffee
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
IceWarp * Samba AD * Mint 18.1 * RAID 1/5 * OpenVPN * Linux since kernel 2.0.36

jameskga
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jameskga » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Nice! Thanks, coffee.

Faust
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Faust » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:40 am

I agree with the fact that Skype was innovative and it broke new ground , and showed the true potential of voip .
But that was back in the day , and the take-over by MS was the end of my interest in it .
I think they will continue to dominate the scene simply because their user-base is so big , and that makes it really difficult
for new players to get a start .
A "cross-platform" voip app would be a game changer , but I doubt that it's possible :)

All of the Skype alternatives mentioned in this thread work really well in Linux
.... so that's an additional bonus for me .

I always thought that the Skype client for Linux was a pretty poor effort compared to the Windows version .
I guess a lot of devs make their apps slick and pretty for Windows ( and Mac ) as a priority ,
with Linux versions often left as an after-thought .

Maybe that will change in future ?
" And so it goes " - Kurt Vonnegut
The modern reality and the satirical parody are rapidly converging .

crazyeyes25
Level 1
Level 1

Postby crazyeyes25 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:26 am

its true.

phd21
Level 14
Level 14

Postby phd21 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:18 pm

Hi "Faust", lisabiziou, & Everyone Else,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

"Skype" is a good application, but it is an insecure means of communication, which every government, legal entity, hacker, etc... around the world has been monitoring and abusing people's rights to privacy or worse installing malware to steal your information and or files, or corrupt your system.

There are excellent secure multimedia (text, voice, video) messaging applications that people can use other than Skype. There are a lot of posts in this forum already on this topic, if you search for them.

"QTox" running on the "Tox" network is one my my favorites. There are "Tox" client software for any platform, Linux, MS Windows, Mac, Android, iMac, MacOS, etc... And, anyone using any of these can talk to anyone else using any of these, as long as they are on the Tox Network.

"Jitsi" is a great multiple account multimedia messaging application. You can add accounts for Google Hangouts / Talk, xmpp (jabber) accounts, Sip-Voip accounts, all usable at one time.

"Linphone" works well on all platforms and anyone can use free or paid for sip-voip providers.

From what I read "Wire" is secure and created by developers of Skype. What is not secure about it, can anyone provide a link to that info?

"Telegram" is supposed to be secure, but I think you must have a smartphone to register and use it.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Moem
Level 12
Level 12

Postby Moem » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:33 pm

phd21 wrote:"Telegram" is supposed to be secure, but I think you must have a smartphone to register and use it.

You need a cell phone (doesn't have to be a smartphone) and a phone number to register; after that you can use it through a web browser, through a dedicated application (mobile or desktop) or through a plugin for Pidgin.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

jameskga
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jameskga » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:51 pm

Skype no longer appears in the Software Manager. Will Mint ever incorporate the Beta version Skype offers (in the form of a .deb file) through their website?

norm.h
Level 4
Level 4

Postby norm.h » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:00 am

I have 2 laptops one running Mint 17 with an AMD Athlon64 TM-20 processor, the other running Mint 18 with an Intel Pentium B980 processor [32 bit], and I am running Skype 4.3.0.37 on both machines.

I am trying to install Skype Beta 5.3 from THIS PAGE

The file [skypeforlinux-64.deb] downloads OK on both machines, but both package installers give a red Status Error saying "Wrong Architecture - amd64" and "Install package" is greyed out.

Should I remove my existing 4.3 version before trying to install the Beta 5.3, and if so, by what method?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

phd21
Level 14
Level 14

Postby phd21 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:06 am

Hi "norm.h",

It looks like it is for 64-bit only.

There are excellent more secure alternatives to using Skype, Like "QTox (qTox)" and "Wire" (from Skype developers)
Phd21: Mint KDE 17.3 & 18.2, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,3gb Ram,160gb hdd, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

Return to “Software & Applications”