Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Doug
Level 1
Level 1

Minecraft For Kids Summer

Postby Doug » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:05 pm

I'm stumped. I have updated java and drivers and think I have everything where it needs to be. I'm running Linux 18.1 64x.

I do not play games very often anymore so this is not an issue until I just discovered it with my kids wanting to play Minecraft today. But on my Linux machines I'm getting this weird superimposed frame that locks out the rest of my system. I thought it was an old graphics card issue in my desktop until I discovered the same issue with my Linux laptop. Because of that I think it may be an operator-user-OS error.

My ghetto work around is to press f11 to size and resize the screen a few times and it usually snaps into resolution for the desktop. The laptop won't allow that because stupid dell seems to have hardwired that button as the 'decrees monitor lighting' so it just turns off the screen.

I linked both images on my author site, I'm pressed for time and have a play-date going on for my kids. The three of them are playing quietly in the next room and I have a few minutes to work on this. These pictures are from the desktop where I replicated the fault, I had to use my phone to take a picture of the screen because the second image freezes all the processes on the machine until I clear it using F11 or a hard reset:

http://www.rgtaark.com/minecraft.html

If anyone can point out what I may be missing, I'd appreciate getting it so my kids can play. If there are any pieces of additional information that I need to provide that my Linux-newb brain is missing please let me know and I'll dig them up.

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Minecraft For Kids Summer

Postby MintBean » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Did you use the Minecraft installer from the Mint software manager? If not, uninstall what you have currently and try that.
Also ensure you are using the recommended graphics drivers from 'driver manager.'

jameskga
Level 3
Level 3

Postby jameskga » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:20 pm

Download the Minecraft launcher from Linux Mint's Software Manager. You can find it in the Games category, as well as the Featured category.

You don't have to install any additional software, including Java. The launcher handles everything for you, and runs Minecraft identically to the way you're used to on Windows, complete with the Profile manager and everything. That enables you to play on multiplayer servers that choose not to use the latest versions of Minecraft.

Again, it's the same as the Windows launcher, so all the features are there. The Software Manager keeps everything up to date for you. Installing Minecraft on Linux has never been easier!

Doug
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Doug » Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:34 pm

Reworked the desktop and laptop using the software manager for a reinstall. Same issues. Other programs and games work fine. I'm going to take a break from this for a little bit.

I'll figure out another work-around, like more outside play.... :)

edwardr
Level 4
Level 4

Postby edwardr » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Have you upgraded from Java7 to Java8? The latest Minecraft update requires Java8.

I followed these instructions to upgrade to Java8 on my system. I hope it doesn't break your system!

https://tecadmin.net/install-oracle-jav ... -via-ppa/#
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true

Popeye
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Popeye » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:02 pm

I had the same problem for the same reason (grandson visiting). On the screen that you can't get rid of, click on edit profile and turn off "keep start screen" make any other obvious adjustments to your profile.
Why do we have to do this? Isn't Microsoft wonderful?

Return to “Software & Applications”