Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Bob M
Level 2
Level 2

Samsung Mobile to Mint Cinnamon

Postby Bob M » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:34 pm

I have a little Samsung GT-S5300 Mobile Phone that I would like to connect to my computer running Mint – Cinnamon – Sarah, so as to transfer photos etc.

Now on Windows, Samsung provides programme called Kies to do this, and I note from Google there appears to be some workarounds but some seem quite old and not specific to a version of Linux.

I therefore thought it prudent to run the problem past you guys and seek advice on the matter before I screw everything else up as well. :)

I also wonder if Samsung Kies for Windows would work through Wine / Winetricks?

All suggestions appreciated

Bob

jimallyn
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Samsung Mobile to Mint Cinnamon

Postby jimallyn » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:59 pm

Well, I can't imagine that you could screw anything up just by connecting the phone to your computer. My guess would be that if you use a USB cable to connect it to your computer, that it will show up in the file manager without doing anything else. Later versions of Android may require you to click on the notification that it is slow charging, then select "Use USB for file transfer" or whatever they call it on that phone. Another option would be to install the Asus file manager, scroll down to the bottom of the app, and select PC file transfer. This will give you an URL to connect to the phone with the browser on your computer and you can transfer files from there. Another option would be to use Bluetooth to transfer files from the phone to the computer. And the Google Play app store should have several file server apps. Lots of options.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Bob M
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Bob M » Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:49 pm

Thanks for that Jim

Well I thought I’d start by just plugging the phone into the computer via USB Cable and up pops an icon for the phone and another for the Card.

However, clicking or double clicking on those icons does nothing and neither does right clicking and selecting “Open”.

Ok, I then thought your Bluetooth idea sounded good so I removed the USB Cable and turned on the Bluetooth.

The Computer and Phone Paired OK and I was able to transfer a photo from the Computer to the phone but couldn’t find a way to do the opposite, which strikes me as strange. :?:

Anyway, the sun’s just starting to rise down here (Tuesday Morning) so I’ve got all day to further experiment. :)

Cheers

Bob

Bob M
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Bob M » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:03 pm

Update. :(

Another day with no advancement from day one and I’m not drawing much comfort from the fact that Google suggests I’m not alone with this problem.

I would have thought that the USB connection between computer & Phone would have been easy, but not so. Can still see the Phone and Card from Computer but can’t open anything.

The Bluetooth looked promising, but as I said in a previous post they Connect OK and the Computer can send files to the Phone, but there is no way I can send anything Phone to Computer.

I realise there are other ways like E-Mailing files to yourself, but I’d like to do it without Wifi or the internet as they are not always available and I figure there should be a simple enough way with a USB Cable or Bluetooth.

One suggestion courtesy of Google was to install “Dolphin File Manager” from Synaptic Package Manager but that was another epic fail and I see it is not supported.

Anyway, that’s where I’m up to.

Cheers

Bob

Mark G
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Mark G » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Just an "off the top of my head" suggestion, but how about using Airdroid?

Seems like a less involved solution than running Kies under Wine.

Bob M
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Bob M » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks for that Mark.

To be honest, I had never heard of Airdroid, but I get the impression from Google that it relies on a Wifi network and I was hoping to find a way to transfer files where no Wifi or network is available.

However, I stand to be corrected on my understanding.

At the end of the day I guess I could transfer files via Bluetooth from Computer to Phone and simply take the card out of the Phone and put it in the computers card reader to transfer the opposite way. Haven’t tried the latter yet so I’ll give it a go later and get back.

Cheers

Bob

Bob M
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Bob M » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:12 pm

The plot thickens. :roll:

I took the Micro SD Card out of the phone and put it in the Card Reader of the Mint Computer and nothing, I might as well have put it in my letterbox. So I put it in the Card Reader of a Win10 Laptop and everything was fine and came up as expected. I did the same with a very old SD card and same result.

I’m now wondering if the problems with the USB Cable, Bluetooth, and SD Card reader are Driver related?

The Micro SD Card is in FAT 32 format and the Old card is just plain FAT. However I don’t think that is relevant if they both work fine on the Windows 10 Laptop.

Somebody will know better. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”