Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
spider
Level 2
Level 2

internet pop-up saying I have a virus

Post by spider »

hi guys, every time I'm looking for something on the internet and click on a link... well, sometimes and sometimes it happens alot ...

I get a website for example, httpZ://justscan6.info/22/?uid=140

and it says I have a virus... and can't get out of it... the only way for me to get out of that website is to reboot my computer. :x

I know you can't get a virus from linux... not sure about being a "carrier" ... i hope i spell that right.... :lol:

however, this website is fake and just wanted to know if there is a way out of it without rebooting.

Thanks again!

spider :)

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Re: internet pop-up saying I have a virus

Post by 67GTA »

You might try securing Firefox a little more. Try adding flashblock, adblock, and maybe noscript. These should help block some of the crap. These pop-ups aren't that dangerous unless you click on them. Noscript will prevent most if not all of these flash/java scripts from running at all.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

I forgot, I also use Mcafee site advisor for Firefox. It will put a green check, or red X next to your Google search results to let you know if someone else has previously reported problems/malware with a website.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider »

I forgot, I also use Mcafee site advisor for Firefox
Thanks for the info 67, when you where talking about Mcafee site advisor for Firefox where do I find that in the synaptic :?:
I type in " Mcafee site advisor"

Thanks again!
spider :)

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

It's not in the repos. You will have to install it from their website: http://www.siteadvisor.com/download/ff.html

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider »

hi 67, how do you control theadblock because if i need to go to skillsoft to use java or whatever... the screen goes gray now and firefox just crash

Thanks again!
spider

67GTA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by 67GTA »

In Firefox, look under "Tools" for adblock. You can look for the web domains that are blocked and uncheck them. The website your having trouble with may be blacklisted.

spider
Level 2
Level 2

Post by spider »

The thing is... I disable the adblock to see what would happen and it still will crash!

I remove the program and now its fine.... I really like the way the adblock work and all. :(

Thanks again!
spider

Return to “Software & Applications”