Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
moze229
Level 3
Level 3

Need applesmc-dkms package [SOLVED]

Post by moze229 »

I need to install macfanctld on a Mac computer with Mint 18. In order for macfanctld to work, it depends on the package 'applesmc-dkms'. However, this package appears to only be available as part of an Ubuntu Mactel package. When I try to add this package, it states "This PPA does not support Xenial." Is there a way for me to find a version that DOES support Mint 18, or is there a workaround for it? I'd really like to try some sort of fan control for this machine. Thanks in advance.
Last edited by moze229 on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Need applesmc-dkms package

Post by fabien85 »

there is a version of macfanctl available in the standard Mint repositories (Version: 0.6+repack1-1, no dependencies).
Did you try that ? I remember installing it this way for LM17 on a macbookpro, and it worked perfectly. I haven't tested on LM18 (and at the moment I dont have the machine available to test), but I would expect this to work.
moze229
Level 3
Level 3

Post by moze229 »

Thanks for the reply.

I did try that one, and I couldn't get it to work. Upon trying to figure out why, I noticed that the man page for macfanctld specifically mentions that it requires the applesmc package. According to the documentation here http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/zes ... tld.1.html , that version is still dependent on the above mentioned package.

Now if the version in the repositories is different than the other versions, I'll give it another shot. But the documentation still claims that there is a dependency.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Hum, it will be 2 weeks before I can get my hands back on the machine to test.
Now the mactel page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MactelSupportTeam/PPA lists only old macs model, so I'm wondering if support for the hardware hasnt since been integrated directly in the kernel. In particular since the kernel acquired UEFI support, allowing for a more natural installation of linux on intel macs. You could try installing macfanctl from the repository, and test whether it works, e.g. by tweaking the config file (/etc/macfanctl.conf), setting fan_min to a higher value, restarting macfanctld (sudo service macfanctld restart) and seeing if the fans react or not.
moze229
Level 3
Level 3

Post by moze229 »

I reinstalled the package and it works! Well, mostly. In case you aren't familiar, the older iMacs have 3 internal fans. ODD, HDD, and CPU. (I assume the MacBooks are likely the same.) When I ran macfanctld, only the ODD and HDD fan minimums went to 2000. The CPU fan is still at the minimum 800. That might cause an issue. I'll monitor the sensors via 'watch sensors' and see what happens. In the meantime, do you know what I might change/add in the configuration file to get the CPU fan up? I'll also go do more digging around myself.

So the problem wasn't that the applesmc package was missing. It's just that I didn't know how to start the macfanctrld process. Will this automatically start each time I boot, or will I have to set up a script?

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: The CPU fan not being controlled is a known "bug" in macfanctld with my era of iMac. I found a link to the discussion of this and a link to the code that someone used to fix the problem. But I have NO idea how to even begin on that. I don't code. At all. https://bugs.launchpad.net/macfanctld/+bug/1092970

In the meantime, I still have MacOS installed as dual boot on this computer. I can always go into that and run smcfancontrol, and whatever I set in there will remain once I reboot into Mint. The problem is, once the computer goes to sleep, when it wakes up it doesn't remember smcfancontrol's settings and defaults to 800RPM on everything.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

Indeed, macfanctl assumes 2 fans only.
You may want to try mbpfan, which says it supports up to 10 fans and seems to be still maintained.
moze229
Level 3
Level 3

Post by moze229 »

Thanks. I'm going to look into this a little later today and see what I come up with. I think I tried this one before and couldn't figure out how to get it to work. Lol. I may have to come back for help.
moze229
Level 3
Level 3

Post by moze229 »

mbpfan worked! I used the guide here:

https://ineed.coffee/3838/a-beginners-t ... er-ubuntu/

Now I have complete control over all three of the fans, instead of only two! I'd like to be able to control each fan individually, but at least now all three fans are under MY control. Thank you for your help!

Return to “Software & Applications”