Open in folder and Desktop goes to black issue

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mario_n

Open in folder and Desktop goes to black issue

Post by mario_n »

Hi!

I've a rather strange issue with Linux Mint. It is especially visible using Google Chrome, or Chromium browsers, but sometimes it happens using Archive Manager.
So, problems are as follows:

1.) If I download any file, using browsers mentioned above, and then click on open in folder button, entire Desktop goes black, icons are moved to some strange positions, and they are locked (you can not use them or move them)

2.) If I try to open any archive, after the files are being extracted and click on show content, again, Desktop goes to black, wallpaper dissapears, and icons are locked.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Specs:

Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64-bit
Cinnamon Version: 3.2.7
Linux Kernel: 4.8.0-45-generic

What have I tried:

1.) Reinstall completely of Chrome
2.) Reinstall of Cinnamon desktop

Results:
No improvement.

Maybe any fresh Idea?
Tnx
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Open in folder and Desktop goes to black issue

Post by jungle_boy »

The latest secure version of the kernel for Linux Mint 18.1 is 4.4.0.53
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
mario_n

Post by mario_n »

Yes, that's it. Switched to another Kernel, and it works. Thank you!
LloydHayes

Post by LloydHayes »

I have been complaining about the same and/or similar bug for awhile. I have Mint 18.1. Nemo crashes. The result is that it removes all folders and icons from view. The desktop sometimes reverts to the default black screen with the Mint Logo. Clicking on the Nemo icon in the task bar will restore the desktop icons. But you have to maneuver back to your previous location in the hard drive. Have been told that this only happens on the 64 bit version of mint. I saw the same behavior in 17.1, and now 18.1.

It doesn't matter if you are using some other application, such as Firefox. The results are the same.

Hopefully, this will one day get fixed.... I have submitted a bug on this.

Return to “Software & Applications”