Flash Drive For A Win7 System Drive Clone?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Flash Drive For A Win7 System Drive Clone?

Post by soundchaser59 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:25 pm

My home office machine has been on Mint for about 9 months or so. But my basement music studio computer is running Windows 7 Pro 64 bit.

Someone I work with suggested that I could use something called Clonezilla to make a restorable image of my Windows 7 c drive, as a way to backup my Win 7 c drive for full recovery if needed. My Win 7 c drive is 160GB now, and could grow to around 200GB by the time I finish installing all of the music studio software I plan to use. I have not had any issues so far, but I also have never had a full fledged backup of the c drive either. With all the ransomware scares going around, and the fact that my music computer does not run anti-virus software, I figure it's time to have a backup/restore method handy if I need it.

The Win 7 machine also has an internal 500GB D drive that is content only, where all of my music projects and user-created files are stored. This drive is backed up to an external drive, so I'm not concerned about backing up or restoring my user-created content. But the external doesn't have enough space left on it to take an image of my c drive.

If I have a brand new 256GB (usb 3) flash drive, can I use Clonezilla to create a restorable image of my Win 7 c drive? Is Clonezilla friendly and easy to use? I'm not computer illiterate, I'm a basic meat and potatoes programmer by day, but all of my so-called "expertise" is with Windows machines. I guess I would consider learning something like Clonezilla to be another nail in the Windows coffin at my house, as I gradually move farther away from Microsoft. My only other option is to simply wipe the C drive and reinstall everything from scratch. It can be done, but it's a real pita with all the activations and authorizations involved with music software.

Is the 256GB usb drive + Clonezilla the right approach for my task?

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Flash Drive For A Win7 System Drive Clone?

Post by soundchaser59 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:07 pm

I've been reading a little bit about these, found this from a simple google search. Anybody like anything on this "top 10" list? The Trinity Rescue Kit reads like it might be a good one to try. I didn't get much from any "clonezilla" searches, and it doesn't pop up in my Software Manager when I search that.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-thi ... -machines/

Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond » Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:26 pm

soundchaser59 wrote:If I have a brand new 256GB (usb 3) flash drive, can I use Clonezilla to create a restorable image of my Win 7 c drive?
Yes.
soundchaser59 wrote:Is Clonezilla friendly and easy to use?
Not so much for a point and click computer user...but I would say it's easy enough for anyone that understands the concept of making an image of a partition or entire disk.
soundchaser59 wrote:Is the 256GB usb drive + Clonezilla the right approach for my task?
I would tend to think it would be the ideal solution. Read all about Clonezilla and download the ISO here: http://clonezilla.org/

soundchaser59
Level 2
Level 2

Post by soundchaser59 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks.

After some reading it looks to me like it's a choice between Clonezilla and Trinity Rescue Kit. Both read as if they are very user friendly, but I'm going to start with Clonezilla and see how far I get. I have it downloaded and unzipped to my bootable 256GB flash stick. I'll start messing around with making an image of the Win7 c drive soon, before the night is over.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:24 am

@ soundchaser59

Macrium Reflect Free for Windows can also make system images on a USB Flash-drive and is quite user-friendly in terms of GUI, ie no need Command line/Terminal interface.

chrisuk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by chrisuk » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:58 am

I second Macrium Reflect Free. I used it successfully to backup and restore Windows systems for years. One thing to remember; if you backup the Windows partition alone (not do a Disk Clone) remember to backup the small System Partition as well.

There's also an option that nobody mentions... Windows 7 can do a full System Image without third party tools - just check the Backup tool
Chris

Manjaro MATE - MX Linux - LMDE MATE

Return to “Software & Applications”