Keepassx cant open databas

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
FO in KC

Keepassx cant open databas

Post by FO in KC »

I just upgraded from Mint 13 Maya Mate to Mint 18.1 Mate. Most things came up good but newly downloaded KeepassX cannot read my old kdb file and seems unable to read even a new test file I created. Has anyone been able to get KeePass to work on Mint 18.1?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
900i
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Keepassx cant open databas

Post by 900i »

Hi, I use keepass2 with no problems.
Desktop Core i7 Linux Mint 21.1 / Laptop Dell Precision M6400 Linux Mint 21.1
mike acker
Level 7
Level 7

Post by mike acker »

i found that by clicking the database from the NEMO browser -- rather than using KeePassX dialog -- it opened OK
¡Viva la Resistencia!
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "FO in KC",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

I use the excellent KeePassX v2.x everyday and it works great. KeePass2 works great as well.

If you have been using an older version of KeePass in MS Windows or an older Linux Mint, then you might have to install KeePass2, bring up the database and save as or export as a KeePass2 version 2 database before KeePassX will be able to use it.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

There is now only KeePassX 2 in the repositories for Mint 18.x, which appears as a crippled version of KeePassX.

Besides this, KeePassX 2 uses a different database format. You have to import the old kdb files from the menu.

Here I found the information, that the old KPX can also be used with Ubuntu 16.04 (= Mint 18.x base). A quick test in 18.2 I did confirmed this.
Last edited by Cosmo. on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FO in KC

Post by FO in KC »

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm making some progress--I downloaded keepass2 and was able to create a test database--I even got it to open once but cant figure out exactly what I did to get there. If I right click on the database icon and select "open with keepass2" it will bring up the program enter password screen but most of the time entering my password for the database gives an error message about composite key being invalid.
FO in KC

Post by FO in KC »

Cosmo's link to the old version of keepassx did the trick.
I can now click on the old .kdb file and it opens right up just like old times.
Thanks!
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

If you use the classic version of KPX (0.4.3), you have to watch the update manager afterwards carefully. The new KPX will appear as an update, obviously because the package name is identical; despite the fact that the new KPX is taken from its abilities a regression! If you see the KPX update, set it - via right click - into the exception list. Otherwise you will get the new version and you have to remove it again, before you reinstall the classical one - and this run in circles.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

Removed as there was a different technical background.

Return to “Software & Applications”