Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
borgward
Level 5
Level 5

USB Stick Not appear

Postby borgward » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:35 pm

Linux Cinnamon 18. USB sticks do not appear on the desktop after I insert them. They do appear in "Computer" after I click on it on the desktop. Now I have to go through several steps to open the stick instead of just clicking on it on the desktop. Is this by design? I booted up an extra 18 Cinnamon laptop that i have not used or updated in quite a while. The USB stick's icon appears on the desktop. What to do?

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Re: USB Stick Not appear

Postby Tomgin5 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 11:33 am

I also have noticed something like this in 18.0 and 18.1 64 Cinnamon. Usually with new unformatted flash drives. On some flash drives that were blank, I needed to go to stick formater after going to the "Disk drive" window and prompting for a disk image or format, then back to stick formatter and braserio. Why the latter I don't know. eventually I was able to imprint a ext4 format that was recognized. Again this was only on small generic flash drives in the 1-2 GB range.

borgward
Level 5
Level 5

Postby borgward » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:41 pm

On my main laptop 18.0 Cinnamon 64 bit fully updated the USB stick that has files on it does not appear on the desktop. On the extra laptop running 18.0 Cinnamon 64bit that has not been updated in several months the same USB stick appears on the desktop.

Whats different? One laptop is fully updated. The other one has not been updated in several months. I think somewhere along the line an update caused this behavior. Is this by design or accident?

LloydHayes
Level 3
Level 3

Postby LloydHayes » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:48 pm

This is crazy. I plug a USB stick into one port and it does not show up, and I plug it into another port and it appears right away. Sometimes I let it set there for awhile before it suddenly appears. Sometimes it does not show up on the screen, but it is there if I check my drives. My tower computer has 13 USB ports, between the computer and the attachments. I think it is the way that Mint checks the ports.
Lloyd

Return to “Software & Applications”