How bad does a disk have to be before Gnome Disk Utility stops saying OK?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fountains
Level 1
Level 1

How bad does a disk have to be before Gnome Disk Utility stops saying OK?

Post by fountains »

I have an OCZ 60GB SSD hard drive which I took out of service a while back due to it having errors.

I plugged it in again recently, and using Gnome Disk Utility, ran the "extended self assessment" test.

The uncorrectable ECC count did not change (from 18112 sectors) but the other error counts went up to over 100 million. (That was Read Error Rate, Soft Read Error Rate and Soft ECC Correction).

The test took ages - presumably due to the errors, and OCZ inform me that the drive "appears to be defective".

At the end of the test Gnome Disk Utility still says (under OVERALL ASSESSMENT) "Disk is OK".

I often use Gnome Disk Utility and find it generally very useful, but how bad does a disk have to be before Gnome Disk Utility stops saying OK? I've never seen it say anything other that OK.

itsme4401
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How bad does a disk have to be before Gnome Disk Utility stops saying OK?

Post by itsme4401 »

Don't know the answer.
However I always make an image of my whole HDD the very moment I start doubting its integrity. Advise you to take the same attitude and precaution at least to this disk!

Pjotr
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Pjotr »

The "OK" verdict is misleading. Any amount of bad sectors, even 1, means: backup and replace as soon as possible.

Once a disk starts to rot, it usually deteriorates quickly and can't be trusted anymore.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 20 Ulyana
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

fountains
Level 1
Level 1

Post by fountains »

I need to read up about the subject but suspect the ECC errors in an SSD are not comparable with bad sectors in a traditional hard drive. I think the SSDs are quite good at covering errors up to a point.

I replaced that failed OCZ drive with a Samsung SSD and that too has started to develop "uncorrectable ECC count" errors" - but only up to 9 or so and no other errors, however I have replaced that as well, going back to a WD spinning hard drive. They have always given very good service, but it is slow after the SSD.

I've put the Samsung SSD and its ECC errors into a rarely used laptop - which it has transformed.

I've had three SSDs in total. The third one was faulty and returned - so not a good record.

Return to “Software & Applications”