Updating ImageMagick?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
idle

Updating ImageMagick?

Post by idle »

I've noticed there's an update ImageMagick-7.0.6-1 but looking on the website http://www.imagemagick.org/script/download.php I can see the package is a .rpm?

Strangely too, ImageMagick isn't listed in my applications, but if I right click an image I have the option to open with ImageMagick. Did I somehow install this, or was this included with Linux Mint?

I tried searching for it in Software Manager, but nothing comes up. Is there a way to update ImageMagick to a newer version? Maybe a terminal command or something?

Thx :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Updating ImageMagick???

Post by banjo »

I am running Mint 18.1, and it shows up in the software manager for me. Looks like I have 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.7.

Also,

Code: Select all

brian@LinuxMain ~ $ apt list --installed | grep magick
imagemagick/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.7 amd64 [installed]
imagemagick-6.q16/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.7 amd64 [installed]
imagemagick-common/xenial-updates,xenial-updates,xenial-security,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.7 all [installed]
libmagick++-6.q16-5v5/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.7 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libmagickcore-6.q16-2/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.7 amd64 [installed]
libmagickcore-6.q16-2-extra/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.7 amd64 [installed]
libmagickwand-6.q16-2/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.7 amd64 [installed]
Banjo
(_)=='=~
If only the best bird sang, the forest would be a very quiet place.
idle

Post by idle »

You are running V5.7 the latest release is V7.0.6
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

in the World of Linux, sometimes programs are only released for one Linux Branch,
& in this case it's the Red Hat Branch that is Lucky.

and the available archive for for version 7.06, are also not for the Debian Linux Branch,
so therefore the LM version is stuck, at Two Versions behind, their website.

you may not be able to use the other supplied, archive version, for Linux, either.
but you could try running the Windows version, under ./wine,
but as always YMMV
:(
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
idle

Post by idle »

Cheers Pierre, thanks for the info. Does that mean LM18.3 or other future releases won't come with ImageMagick installed? Its actually a really useful program that I find myself using daily, and now quite accustomed to it, it would be a real shame to lose it.
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by banjo »

I am running Mint 18.1 KDE, and it is telling me that I have ImageMagick 6.8.9-9.

brian@LinuxMain ~ $ convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.8.9-9 Q16 x86_64 2017-05-26 http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright: Copyright (C) 1999-2014 ImageMagick Studio LLC
Features: DPC Modules OpenMP
Delegates: bzlib cairo djvu fftw fontconfig freetype jbig jng jpeg lcms lqr ltdl lzma openexr pangocairo png rsvg tiff wmf x xml zlib
What version of Mint are you running that you have 5.7?

Banjo
(_)=='=~
idle

Post by idle »

Your point being to my original question?
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by banjo »

I thought that the original question was "Where is ImageMagick?" and I was trying to help. My system has it, and it shows up normally. 6.8.9-9

Sorry
idle

Post by idle »

Its all good :D

Looks like there's updates for ImageMagick afterall. Booyah!!
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by banjo »

According to the changelog, that update is a Debian security patch.

imagemagick (8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.8) xenial-security; urgency=medium

* SECURITY UPDATE: multiple security issues
    - debian/patches/*: synchronize security fixes with Debian's
      8:6.8.9.9-5+deb8u10 release. Once again, thanks to Bastien Roucariès
      for the excellent work this update is based on!
    - CVE-2017-9261, CVE-2017-9262, CVE-2017-9405, CVE-2017-9407,
      CVE-2017-9409, CVE-2017-9439, CVE-2017-9440, CVE-2017-9501, 
      CVE-2017-10928, CVE-2017-11141, CVE-2017-11170, CVE-2017-11188,
      CVE-2017-11352, CVE-2017-11360, CVE-2017-11447, CVE-2017-11448,
      CVE-2017-11449, CVE-2017-11450, CVE-2017-11478

-- Marc Deslauriers <marc.deslauriers@ubuntu.com>  Fri, 21 Jul 2017 09:03:52 -0400
Imagemagick is still at 6.8.9.9-7.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

My problem with ImageMagick is that I appeared to have two occurrences of it. When I clicked on Menu, Graphics, I get Gimp, Pix, Simple Scan and two occurrences of ImageScan. I tried to remove one and both disappeared. Now when I check for it, I get the following:

jfr@Inspiron-1525 ~ $ apt list --installed | grep magick
imagemagick/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.8 amd64 [installed]
imagemagick-6.q16/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.8 amd64 [installed,automatic]
imagemagick-common/xenial-updates,xenial-updates,xenial-security,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.8 all [installed]
libmagickcore-6.q16-2/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.8 amd64 [installed]
libmagickcore-6.q16-2-extra/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.8 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libmagickwand-6.q16-2/xenial-updates,xenial-security,now 8:6.8.9.9-7ubuntu5.8 amd64 [installed]

They appear to be security updates rather than ImageMagick itself, is that correct?

ImageMagick does not appear as an application anywhere under Menu. What is the "best" way to reinstall it and restore it to it's normal place?
Dell Inspiron 1525 Core 2 Duo T5850 4GB Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia Cinnamon 6.0.4
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by banjo »

Imagemagick itself is not a tool or program. It is a suite of tools to be used from the command line. Here are the command line tools.

animate
compare
composite
conjure
convert
display
identify
import
magick
magick-script
mogrify
montage
stream
From https://imagemagick.org/script/command-line-tools.php

Part of the confusion is that if you try to run "imagemagick" nothing happens.

If you ask for the version of any of the command line tools, you get the imagemagick version, i.e.

brian@LinuxMain ~ $ convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.8.9-9 Q16 x86_64 2017-07-21 http://www.imagemagick.org
Delegates: bzlib cairo djvu fftw fontconfig freetype jbig jng jpeg lcms lqr ltdl lzma openexr pangocairo png rsvg tiff wmf x xml zlib
Banjo
(_)=='=~
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

Tks Banjo.

Here is the result - exactly as yours:

jfr@Inspiron-1525 ~ $ convert -version
Version: ImageMagick 6.8.9-9 Q16 x86_64 2017-07-21 http://www.imagemagick.org
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by banjo »

Imagemagick is a very powerful batch image processor. But it is also old-school difficult to learn all the commands and switches.

If you open a bash shell and cd to a directory with images in it, you can type (for example)

display IMG_4774.jpg
and imagemagick will open a primitive image viewer that allows you see the image and to do simple things like look at the exif data.

If you provide it with a list of images, you can sequence through them using a right click menu Next command. For example:

display *.jpg
will show you all the images in sequence, and you can step through them with a right click Next and back with a right click Former.

This is just the tip of the iceberg with imagemagick.

Imagemagick is very well suited to use in bash scripts, but not very friendly for people who are used to a GUI.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

So in Mint, is it installed because it's called by other programs or is it provided for use by more advanced users?
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by banjo »

When I installed Mint 18.1, Imagemagick came along for the ride. It was installed by default with the OS. I suspect that it was installed as a dependency by another image package, but I don't know that for sure. It is probably used under the table by several programs to do the grunt work of image processing.

Installing and uninstalling Imagemagick is done using the Package Manager like any other application, but if you uninstall it, you might break some other image programs. I don't know. I have used it for so long that it is on my list to always install anyway.

There are bindings available for several languages that allow you to call the functions from programs that you write. The list is here:

https://imagemagick.org/script/api.php

You can see that it is easy for a programmer writing a graphical image processing tool in just about any programming language to offload the heavy work onto Imagemagic with a method call.

Learning the details of the Imagemagick command line is probably not of much value now that we have GUI's to do that work. But you can learn a lot about how image processing is done by reading the user manual. Here are some examples of what it can do.

https://imagemagick.org/script/examples.php

The C interface, MagickWand is a good go-to source for study. There are an enormous number of function calls.

https://imagemagick.org/script/magick-wand.php

Banjo
(_)=='=~
jimbobs
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimbobs »

So, the fact that ImageMagick doesn't appear under Menu, Graphics is just cosmetic. Because the program itself is still installed, it is available when needed by either me (unlikely) or other programs.

Just as a matter of interest - and maybe the topic of another thread - what would I have to do to make it reappear there?
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by banjo »

How to put it into the menu system would depend on what you want to do with Imagemagick. I don't know how to manually add scripts and stuff to the system menu. That is over my head.

You could try installing Converseen from the Package Manager. It is not actually part of Imagemagick, but it allows you to queue up Imagemagick batch jobs using a GUI. If I remember properly, I wasn't too impressed with it, but I have not looked at it for a while. It is a small program, and you can always uninstall it if you hate it.

Just search for "converseen" in the Package Manager.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
BTW, "putting in the menu" is kind of an undefined operation since it is a batch oriented command line tool. You would have to define what the menu item would do. If you want it to display images, you would have to use the "display" command somehow.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "idle",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

1.) Regarding ImageMagick - see quote box below for instructions to install their newest version.

What's wrong with the one in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)? What is in the new version that you would want?

Install ImageMagick (Image Editor & Converter) On Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux Mint 18.x), July 21, 2016
http://sourcedigit.com/19826-install-im ... ntu-16-04/

How to install ImageMagick 7.0.5 (or newer) released on Ubuntu 16.04 (Linux Mint 18.x), 16.10, February 25, 2017
https://howto-ubuntunew.blogspot.com/20 ... eased.html

From the Imagemagick website
https://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-s ... hp?t=29006
To install this, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one:
Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

sudo apt-get install build-essential

wget http://www.imagemagick.org/download/ImageMagick.tar.gz

tar -xvf ImageMagick.tar.gz
* Note: the change directory folder command below may or may not work on your system, so if need be, use the exact directory folder name which changes with every updated version.

cd ImageMagick-7.*
or use the exact folder name which changes with every updated version, you can use your file manager to find out what the exact folder name is after extracting the archive file (running the previous command).

cd ImageMagick-7.0.8-20
You must be in the correct directory folder with the ImagMagick source code to continue to compile and install...

./configure

make

sudo make install

sudo ldconfig /usr/local/lib
Start ImageMagick, simply type ‘display’
Update: I just ran the commands above in my Linux Mint KDE 18.1 and it worked.
phd21 wrote: ~$ convert --version
Version: ImageMagick 7.0.6-3 Q16 x86_64 2017-07-26 http://www.imagemagick.org
Copyright: © 1999-2017 ImageMagick Studio LLC
License: http://www.imagemagick.org/script/license.php
Features: Cipher DPC HDRI OpenMP
Delegates (built-in): bzlib fontconfig freetype jbig jng jpeg lzma pangocairo png tiff x zlib

2.) +1 for "Converseen" an excellent, easy to use, desktop application image converter. In the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM), or for updated versions, install their PPA.
Tip: This can be used to easily scale and compress images to fit in this forum.
http://converseen.fasterland.net/download-for-linux/

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntuhandbook1/apps

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install converseen
Free Batch Image Processor ‘Converseen’ Adds ImageMagick 7 Support, 2017
http://tipsonubuntu.com/2017/01/18/conv ... 7-support/

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
banjo
Level 2
Level 2

Post by banjo »

OK. Here is an interesting outcome. I don't know how this happened, but the "display" function of Imagemagick has suddenly appeared in my context menu for the images. It works too.

As far as I know, I did not do anything special to cause this, and it is the first time I have ever seen this entry. Software is strange stuff.

I don't know where the env entry came from in that screenshot. It isn't in the menu anymore. Gwenview is at the top.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
Screenshot_20170726_192236.png

Return to “Software & Applications”