Hybrid CDs in VirtualBox [SOLVED]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

Hybrid CDs in VirtualBox [SOLVED]

Post by AlmightyDoerOfStuff »

Hello. I have a few installer CDs for games from my childhood. I'd like to create ISOs or the like but they have music tracks on them as well as data, which I've read makes it impossible to make an ISO. I'd like to run the games in VirtualBox without needing to put the CD in, but it looks like VirtualBox only accepts a few file formats for disk images, and CUE and TOC are not among them. (Those three are what Brasero lets me do.)

Is there any way to do this?
Last edited by AlmightyDoerOfStuff on Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poohstyx

Re: Hybrid CDs in VirtualBox

Post by Poohstyx »

Can you not just copy the data to a directory then create an iso from there?
As far as I know there is no size limit for an iso, so you should be able to create 1 iso with everything on.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "AlmightyDoerOfStuff",

Most of the programs that can "Rip" a disc to an ".iso" file will do the entire disc regardless of what is on it, assuming the disc is not defective, or copy protected. Are these for MS Windows only? What exactly are on the discs, what games, and what kind of discs are they CD or DVD? FYI: "Cue" and "Toc" files are for music, are they not?

As was already mentioned, you might be able to copy some stuff off of the disc as well.
Have you installed "ubuntu-restricted-extras", "udftools", and "mencoder" from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)? If not, I recommend doing that, and restarting your computer.

There are 2 excellent DVD/CD applications "xfburn" and "K3b", maybe "SimpleBurn". As for creating iso files, the wonderful "K3b" CD/DVD application can do that, ogmrip, dvdrip, K9Copy, etc...

Note for Linux Mint Cinnamon, Mate, or Xfce users to install and use "K3b" and or "K9copy", you should probably install "kde-runtime" first from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

To install "k9copy" using the PPA method for Linux Mint 18.x or 17.x, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste (or Shift+Insert), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tomtomtom/k9copy

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install k9copy

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

They're the old Magic School Bus educational games from the 1990s, published by Microsoft. They have the data section but the audio is stored as an audio CD. I've read that ISOs cannot maintain multiple tracks and therefore audio CDs, and hybrid CDs like these, cannot be put in an ISO without breaking them. I'd guess that's why Brasero will do ISOs normally but not for any of my old hybrid CD games. But I'll try that stuff. Thanks! I'll let you know what happens.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "AlmightyDoerOfStuff",

1.) How did it go ripping those discs into ".iso" files?

2.) While doing other stuff, I came across this as well.

Search results for "magic school bus games free online"
https://www.google.com/search?q=magic+s ... 37&bih=684

3.) Another excellent application for backing up "Ripping" your movie and video discs is called "MakeMKV", but I do not know if it would work with "game" discs.

4.) You might be able to run them in the newer Wine ver2.x, but from what I quickly read, that did not look so promising...

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
AlmightyDoerOfStuff

I did more research and ended up using a program called CDemu to mount the .CUE file as a CD (with the BIN in the same folder as the CUE), and then I inserted the CDemu drive into the virtual optical disk drive, just like I would with an ISO. I like this because it's pretty easy (once I figured it out), it works, and I like emus. The program icon is the face of an emu. I like cassowaries much more but emus are still fairly amusing.

Thanks for the help! :)

Also no, those are not the games I'm talking about. "The Magic School Bus Explores (The Ocean/Inside the Earth/The Human Body/In the Age of the Dinosaurs)" are the ones I have. I've only played the first two but I found the others at a thrift store recently. They were developed for Windows 95.
smallmj

Re: Hybrid CDs in VirtualBox [SOLVED]

Post by smallmj »

Thanks for the tip to use cdemu. Now I should be able to get cd audio for some old Windows games. First up, Mechwarrior 2.

Return to “Software & Applications”