Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MCDELTAT
Level 1
Level 1

Display Driver Not Loaded after Boot from Battery Failure

Post by MCDELTAT »

It's finally time that I report this bug that's been driving me crazy for a long time. Even since 18.0 I've been experiencing a problem that probably affects very few people. My battery often dies mid trip back home from work or school because it has a tiny battery that only lasts about 2 hours when full. Mint apparently does a good job about saving my system state, but when I try to boot again, it always displays Mint loading the disk state, and then just sits there. The display driver never loads and I can't even drop into a console. The only way I've found to fix it is to hold the power button to force shut down, then have it boot again disregarding the saved disk state.

I'd love to see this fixed, what debug info can I send to you? How do you think I can access it if I can't see anything?

I guess it's worth noting an even weirder of this bug. At my work place I plug my laptop into an external monitor and when this problem occurs on my main laptop display, the external still lights up to I believe a usable state. I haven't tried much in this situation except for bringing up the display application and try to turn off and on the laptop monitor to force the driver to recognize it again or something.

System info: HP Laptop, AMD A8-5550M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (as reported by /less/cpuinfo. Mint 18.2 upgraded from 18.0. 64-Bit Version with Cinnamon.

Return to “Software & Applications”