Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
noblow91
Level 1
Level 1

synaptic filter for linux generic kernel

Post by noblow91 »

This is probably going to sound really stupid and I can't shake the feeling that I'm missing something incredibly simple, but I can't figure out how to set up a custom filter in synaptic to show me current and prior generic kernel versions. I only want the linux generic kernels to show up, but every filter setting Ive tried so far gives me varying amounts of different kernels, not all of which are boot time kernels and only one seems to be what I'm interested in. Unfortunately, the one in particular doesn't appear to have any version information associated with it, so I'm at a bit of a loss.

But, like I said, I feel like I'm forgetting something easy...I know I can specify precise versions via command line, but having synaptic show me a collection of what kernels I have available for installation/use seems like it would be a bit more useful to me at this point in time...But, if all else fails, I will just write a sed/grep/apt-cache script which should ultimately do the same thing in a faster and non-graphical way.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Re: synaptic filter for linux generic kernel

Post by austin.texas »

Use the Update Manager > View menu > Linux kernels
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
kreemoweet
Level 2
Level 2

Re: synaptic filter for linux generic kernel

Post by kreemoweet »

The custom filter facility in Synaptic does not seem to provide a way to make filters based on arbitrary strings, such as from package names. You can create a filter
showing packages from the "Kernel" section, with possibly additional criteria.

The Search button and/or Quick Filter box with the phrase "linux image generic" would seem to give what you're asking for, i.e. all the generic kernel packages available from the configured Ubuntu/Mint repositories. I have no
idea what you mean by "boot time kernel"; or by something not showing version information, as every package displayable in Synaptic will most certainly have that.

A somewhat dated Synaptic manual is at https://mxlinux.org/synaptic/index.html

Return to “Software & Applications”