Help with Google Earth

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eich
Level 1
Level 1

Help with Google Earth

Post by eich »

Hello All ...

I installed Google Earth on my machine and when I launch it, the full picture doesn't show up. Just a small window in the upper right corner. I've attached a screen cap so you can see what I'm talking about.

I downloaded it from Google and installed the DEB file, but this didn't work. I also followed the instructions below and I came up with the same results.

I'm still a noobie so if this isn't the correct forum or this question has already been answered, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks.
Eich
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
"No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced." ~ Unknown
TI58C
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Help with Google Earth

Post by TI58C »

Hi eich,

On my Mint 17.3 Mate, in package manager (Synaptic), there is a package google-earth-stable. This is what I use. No problems at all. Maybe uninstalling package you use and installing this will help ?

Found that, generally, it is better to use packages that are in the standard repo. .deb-files may work, or they may not..

Robert
Linux is like my late labrador lady-dog: loyal and loving if you treat her lady-like, disbehaving princess if you don't.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

If you have google-earth installed, it will show up in Synaptic or the Software Manager.

If you enjoy the Panoramio pictures, install google-earth-pro.

There is a new completely revised version available for Windows but Linux and Mac versions will soon follow.

When downloading make sure that you download the version that corresponds to your architecture - 32bit or 64bit.

Sometimes a first run of google-earth can be slow and fragmented - it is graphics-intensive.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
heinhuiz

Post by heinhuiz »

I have the same problem on a freshly installed 18.2 Cinnamon. The pro versions from both the Google site and the Software Manager repos give the same result. It's both version 7.3 so that's not a surprise.
Maybe the problen is the amdgpu driver for my graphics card? Unfortunately the amdgpu-pro driver from the AMD website doesn't work, so I can't try that. Which graphics card do you use, @eich?

Btw, what is with that 'completely revised version'? I thought Earth was moving to the Chrome browser completely?
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Just tried to load Google Earth on a new installation of Mint – 18.1 – (Serena) – 64 bit - Cinnamon and have the same problem as Eich.

Works fine with Mint – 18.0 – (Sarah) – 64 bit – Cinnamon combination, but on a different computer.

Has anyone got Google Earth working with Serena?

Just trying to establish if the problem is Google Earth, Serena, or a driver (video?).

Cheers

Bob
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

I have google-earth-pro 64bit running very well on Linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya) with nvidia graphics card and nvidia driver 384.59. Panoramio also works well.

As an experiment, I installed google-earth-pro 64bit on an Asus laptop running Linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya) using the nouveau driver and my screen looks like the image eich posted. No correction to the display was possible.

That tells me that the nouveau driver is not up to the task.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Thanks very much for that kyphi.

Well it just so happens that the subject computer is also an Asus Laptop, (K52F), and I did wonder about the Video driver, but I guess the question is what to do now?????

Don’t know how to check just what is installed unfortunately. :oops:

I suspect that we aren’t the only ones to experience this problem, so some more research is required.

Cheers

Bob
heinhuiz

Post by heinhuiz »

The problem is on more than one video driver already, both on nvidia and on amdgpu.
Also, it fails on some 18.2 Sonya but works on others.
Could it be the kernel? I am on 4.10.0-32-generic #36~16.04.1-Ubuntu (check in terminal with uname -a).
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Bob M wrote:Don’t know how to check just what is installed unfortunately.
I have read that the graphics processor in the K52F is Intel - that means nouveau driver - no google-earth.

To check your hardware use sudo lshw
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

I think you are right on the money kyphi.

No way can I get it to run as it should, but here are a couple of screenshots showing the morbid details.

On the plus side I found a little tool called I-Nex that is handy for telling you all about your computer, so that may come in handy in the future. You will note we are dealing with Intel so things don’t look good.

I also read that you need Chrome Installed, so against my better judgement I installed it but no difference.

However, what I would like to do is find a version 7.1.8.3036 of Google Earth and install that, however, every download I’ve tried turns out to be the latest version Pro, even though it says it’s 7.1.8.3036.

Anyway, I’m picking somewhere down the line someone will sort it, but I shan’t hold my breath.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Same issue here - running on an AMD Radeon HD 7570 card.

Linux Mint 18.2 xfce, 64-bit.

Works fine under Virtual Box with a Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit guest though.

Don't think it's related to the kernel - I've tried it with the LM 18.2 default (4.8 something?) and also the latest 4.12.08 - same problem.

If anyone can find the .DEB for Google Earth 7.1.8.3036, that would be great.

Cheers,

Mike.
mingle
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mingle »

Ah ha! Here it is (7.1.8.3036) courtesy of the GE support forum:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx0YZ3 ... VkNDQ/view
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Hmmm, hope you're right but I've downloaded a couple of those that turned out to be the PRO version that I didn't want.
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Breakthrough! :D

After hunting the Internet in vain for the 7.1.8.3036 version I had a brainwave. :shock:

Why don’t you look in your “Downloads Folder” on the working machine you dumb sod? There could be a copy in there.

Sure enough, there was a copy.

Installed it and it works perfectly. Not the Ver 7.1.8.3036 I was looking for, but Ver 7.1.7.2606.

It’s the 64 bit version and if anybody wants a copy I’m happy to E-Mail it or Upload it somewhere if that suits better. Size wise it’s about 60 meg, so that may cause problems with some E-Mail services.

Anyway, open to suggestions.

Cheers

Bob
heinhuiz

Post by heinhuiz »

mingle wrote:Ah ha! Here it is (7.1.8.3036) courtesy of the GE support forum:

Ah ha! there it is. This one works for me, mingle, muchas grazias, many thanks and merci beaucoup!
k-314

Post by k-314 »

mingle wrote:Works fine under Virtual Box with a Linux Mint 18.2 xfce 64-bit guest though.
Same here, fine in vbox but display issue on host.

I'll give 7.1.8.3036 a try ...
k-314

Post by k-314 »

@ mingle
Thank you. Works on vbox guest and host!
mellobob

Post by mellobob »

heinhuiz wrote:
mingle wrote:Ah ha! Here it is (7.1.8.3036) courtesy of the GE support forum:

Ah ha! there it is. This one works for me, mingle, muchas grazias, many thanks and merci beaucoup!
After many hours of struggle with other options ... this works!!! Thanks.
hochhaltinger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hochhaltinger »

I have a desktop PC with an AMD Quadcore CPU, and it had the same problem.
The older version of Google Earth I downloaded from
»https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx0YZ3 ... VkNDQ/view«
also solves the problem here.

Big thanks to the community!

Return to “Software & Applications”