Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
ctalld
Level 1
Level 1

Can't get SMTP server to work in "Evolution 2.24.3"

Postby ctalld » Mon May 04, 2009 10:35 am

I'm a newbie to Mint but an "oldie" for Windows and I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong in the E-mail and personal information manager program called "EVOLUTION Groupware Suite" put out by Novell, Inc.The program installed right fine and all of the components work except for this one problem---I set up the e-mail client and had no problem with the POP server and in fact downloaded all my e-mail messages. ButI cannot send an email. For the SMTP server I put in the usual server name, checked the box for "server requires authentication," checked "no encryption," for authentication type I checked "login" then typed in my user name and checked "remember password." I cannot send, It just doesn't work. So, I called my Internet provider and a technician said that the SMTP server does not require authentication. OK, I changed the preferences and still I cannot send an e-mail. I can compose messages, put them in the "outbox" but the send/receive button remains "grayed-out." Any suggestions that the forum will offer me are going to be deeply appreciated.

Tall Dee
I do feel the love for Mint!

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can't get SMTP server to work in "Evolution 2.24.3"

Postby Fornhamfred » Tue May 05, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi

Welcome to Mint. It may help if you told us which version of Mint you are using. It is usually best to stick to the latest tested version of software ( 2.22.3)in the package manager as there is a better chance of everything working OK. There is probably a reason for using Evolution but I use Thunderbird which works well with all versions of Mint which I have tried.

ctalld
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ctalld » Wed May 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am using Mint 6 (32 bit version) Felicia (Gnome GUI). I am not one to easily give up, but I followed your suggestion regarding using Thunderbird and indeed this ap has a calendar and "to-do" list, which is all I really want in the way of a Personal Information Manager (PIM). I still will keep Evolution on my Linux box and work at it a bit to see if I can get the SMTP server to work.

Cheers,
Tall Dee

Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Fornhamfred » Thu May 07, 2009 1:12 pm

Have you tried the version of Evolution in Mintinstall?

Glad you got on well with Thunderbird.

Return to “Software & Applications”