Default behavior of Caja changed | Caja issues in Mint 18.2

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
meztek

Default behavior of Caja changed | Caja issues in Mint 18.2

Post by meztek »

A recent hardware upgrade required that I reimage my computer. I was running Mint 17.1 and decided to try upgrading to 18.2. So far, nearly everything works. My biggest issue is that the default behavior of Caja in MATE 1.8 appears to have changed.

Previous behavior: When running caja, I can select a folder or file by typing its name. For example, I could click in the caja window and type "docu", and it would pop up a box at the bottom of the window and navigate to the first matching item in the directory.
New behavior: When I try to do the same, the first character I type is ignored. E.g. if I type "docu", the bar at the bottom right-hand side of the window displays only "ocu" and I need to erase that bit and type "docu" again.

Previous behavior: When saving documents to my computer from a web browser, word processor, or other application, I could immediately begin typing the name of a folder and it would bring up the little find bar in the bottom right-hand side of the window (sorry, I don't know what this bar is called, except that it is not the search bar - I'm getting to this). This process is extremely fast and makes navigating the filesystem remarkably easy and efficient.
New behavior: When I start typing a directory name as I used to, the default function of the file saver is to begin searching for the term in the top bar. This process is incredibly slow. After I open one directory by double-clicking on it with the mouse cursor, I can then type a keyword as before and it would search in the bottom right-hand side of the window and navigate immediately to the closest match.

Is this behavior something I can fix?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Software & Applications”