Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Drygar_2016
Level 2
Level 2

Update Manager thinks I have Chromium installed

Post by Drygar_2016 »

Hi,

Just a few minutes ago the Update Manager turned blue i for an update and I opened it. Noticed it offers me to update Chromoum.

I don't have Chromium installed at all, never had on this PC. Also, it states something about a codec but searching for this package in Synaptic, I don't see it. I refreshed, still the same. So awkward.

Do you have any idea? What kind of bug this may be ?
Screenshot_2017-09-21_22-56-39.png
Screenshot_2017-09-21_22-53-22.png
Screenshot_2017-09-21_22-51-32.png
greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Update Manager thinks I have Chromium installed

Post by greerd »

Even though Update Manager says chromium and you don't have it installed, only chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra gets installed as a system dependency.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Update Manager does not think you have Chromium installed

Post by karlchen »

Hello, Drygar_2016.

The software package which Update Manager wants to update is named chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra.
It has been updated here as well. Mint 18.1 xfce. No Chromium browser installed.

Code: Select all

Commit Log for Thu Sep 21 22:28:34 2017
Die folgenden Pakete wurden aktualisiert:
chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra (60.0.3112.113-0ubuntu0.16.04.1298) to 61.0.3163.79-0ubuntu0.16.04.1300
In case you cannot find the software package chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra in Synaptic, which simply means you are handling Synaptic incorrectly :wink:, you can also check that the package is present on your system by executing the terminal command

Code: Select all

dpkg --list chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra
Mint Update Manager only updates software packages provided an older version of the same software is already present on the system.

Oh, by the way, the software package chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra is clearly visible as installed and updatable in your own Synaptic screenshot. - So time to clean your glasses. :lol:

HTH,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Schultz »

I haven't been offered that update yet. I even clicked Refresh in Update Manager and it still doesn't show. Why?

I'm running Mint Mate 18.2 - 64 bit.

EDIT:
Upon further check, Chromium-codecs-ffmpeg is not installed on my system. Why is it on others' systems but not mine?
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Schultz.

chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra is pulled in by the meta package mint-meta-codecs-core, which itself is pulled in by mint-meta-codecs.
One of the first options which you can toggle during the Linux Mint 18.x setup is the option to install multimedia codecs (do not remember the exact term.) You may not have enabled this option inside the Mint installer.

Cheers,
Karl
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
vladtepes
Level 3
Level 3

Post by vladtepes »

I think that's the toggle when it asks to also install third party software. - all part of the same thing. Perhaps.
Keep Calm
and
Impale Your Enemies
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Anyway, looking at the "package" column in Update Manager which in bold letters gives as the package name "chromium-browser" and which only displays below in much smaller letters the full package name, thus revealing it is in fact only going to update chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra, one can understand that Drygar_2016 got intrigued into assuming Update Manager was wrong in offering this update.

But I hope this has been cleared up by now. :)

Return to “Software & Applications”