Applications open barely visible, restart required

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phosphene

Applications open barely visible, restart required

Post by phosphene »

Hi guys. I've recently switched from Windows 8.1 to Linux Mint 18.2 Cinnamon 64-bit. In Windows, when I hadn't rebooted in a while, left and right click would switch, requiring me to restart to fix it. I figured when sometimes I opened an application (folder or program, afai have noticed) and I thought nothing happened, only to realize that it *did* in fact open, but so faint I can barely make it out, it'd be the Linux equivalent.
This also changes applications that had been open beforehand, so when I want to revisit my browser for example, it'll be just as invisible.

However, the frequency in which this occurs has increased. Eg. it happened last night, and this morning, less than 12h apart (during which I didn't do anything noteworthy).

I've searched for (solutions to) this problem before, and maybe it's in my wording, but I haven't found anything the like. Please help! I activated my firewall, but could this be something virus-like?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Applications open barely visible, restart required

Post by jimallyn »

It would probably be helpful to know a little more about your system. Open a terminal, enter inxi -Fxz, and copy/paste the output of that command in your next post here.

Could it be something virus-like? Exceedingly unlikely. In the 15 years I have been using Linux, none of my Linux computers have ever been infected with any virus or malware, nor has the computer of any Linux user I know. Considering that I have been very active on Linux forums the entire time I have been using Linux, that would likely take in thousands of people. Nope, you do not have a virus.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phosphene

Post by phosphene »

Oi, that's a relief. Thanks a ton!

I entered the command in my terminal, here's what I got:

System: Host: xxx-Aspire-E5-571G Kernel: 4.8.0-53-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 5.4.0)
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.4.6 (Gtk 3.18.9-1ubuntu3.3)
Distro: Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya
Machine: Mobo: Acer model: EA50_HB v: V1.04
Bios: Insyde v: V1.04 date: 05/06/2014
CPU: Dual core Intel Core i5-4210U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9577
clock speeds: max: 2700 MHz 1: 2428 MHz 2: 2387 MHz 3: 2383 MHz
4: 2485 MHz
Graphics: Card-1: Intel Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller
bus-ID: 00:02.0
Card-2: NVIDIA GM108M [GeForce 840M] bus-ID: 03:00.0
Display Server: X.Org 1.18.4 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau
Resolution: 1366x768@60.00hz
GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Haswell Mobile
GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 17.0.7 Direct Rendering: Yes
Audio: Card-1 Intel 8 Series HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:1b.0
Card-2 Intel Haswell-ULT HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel bus-ID: 00:03.0
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.8.0-53-generic
Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller
driver: r8169 v: 2.3LK-NAPI port: 4000 bus-ID: 01:00.1
IF: enp1s0f1 state: down mac: <filter>
Card-2: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 / AR9565 Wireless Network Adapter
driver: ath9k bus-ID: 02:00.0
IF: wlp2s0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1000.2GB (4.9% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD10JPVX size: 1000.2GB
Partition: ID-1: / size: 909G used: 38G (5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda2
ID-2: swap-1 size: 8.48GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: System Temperatures: cpu: 62.0C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
Info: Processes: 248 Uptime: 2:21 Memory: 3174.3/7874.2MB
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Gcc sys: 5.4.0
Client: Shell (bash 4.3.481) inxi: 2.2.35
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Looks like your system has both Intel graphics and Nvidia graphics, but it doesn't look like you have an Nvidia graphics driver installed. You might try the Driver Manager (should be under Administration menu) and see if it lists a recommended Nvidia driver. If so, install it and see if that works better. I know there is a program to choose which graphics device to use on systems that have more than one, but I don't know anything about it. Hopefully somebody else will pop in with more information on that.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
phosphene

Post by phosphene »

Thank you! The driver manager did list an Nvidia graphics card and it was recommended, too. I switched to it and rebooted, it now says Nvidia is used in performance mode, Intel for power saving mode (let me know if you want a screenshot of any of that). I guess now I wait until it either happens again or doesn't?

Do you (or anyone) have any idea *how* this problem happened?
phosphene

Post by phosphene »

IT HAPPENED AGAIN. I have screenshots. you can see the original program opened, the "do i want to save the screenshot?", the browser open, the "do i want to quit" menu open. i wanted to give you different perspectives. the "menu" menu still worked, i thought i took a screenshot of that too, but apparently it didn't work. when i restarted, my wallpaper was switched to the default one.

as you can see, the nvidia settings remained the same.

censored bc idk if i'm allowed to post nudity (and i don't want distracting controversy), but i made sure the windows were still "visible" despite (i dragged the original program over to the side so you could "see" more).

i don't know if that's important, but i have three workspaces occupied. my browser always swims in open tabs (there are 19 open ones on WS1, 16 on WS2, 5 on WS3). opera never crashed on me though.
phosphene

Post by phosphene »

second batch of screenshots, incl. what i saw when it rebooted.

Return to “Software & Applications”