Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
minty_fresh_17
Level 1
Level 1

Chromium Won't Launch

Post by minty_fresh_17 »

Hello,

I am relatively new to Linux, so there's much I'm sure I don't know, but I have generally been enjoying it. So far I've used Chrome without any problems, but today it refuses to launch. My attempts to fix this issue have been stymied and I don't know where to go next, so I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what to do.

I'm running the 32-bit version of Linux Mint Serena (MATE 1.16.2) and I have the Chrome launch icon embedded in the panel at the bottom of the desktop for convenience. When I clicked the icon this morning, Chrome *appeared* to be starting to launch... its little tab stating "Starting Chromium W..." appeared in the panel and the little loading circle began. However, after several seconds, both vanished and nothing happened - Chrome did not seem to launch.

I launched Firefox instead (which is working fine) and searched through some forum questions trying to figure this out. Based on some suggestions I saw there, I opened terminal and entered the "top" command to see if Chrome was running and I just couldn't see it. I saw firefox, and a couple of Web Content listings, but nothing that looked like Chrome. I also tried typing in "sudo chromium" to see if I could get the application to launch from there - terminal requested my password with [sudo] password for me: (and this is where it gets weirder), and although the cursor sat there flashing like normal, terminal would not allow me to type my administrative password. If I entered it with the keys, it simply did not appear on the screen, and when I pressed enter on the bizarre off-chance that somehow my password was there even if I couldn't see it, it didn't accept it. If I try to type in my password and press enter, I either get "Sorry, try again" or "sudo: chromium: command not found". So I'm stuck there.

As I installed some level 2 updates just yesterday, it seemed reasonable that the updates had somehow screwed Chrome up. I went into the Update Manager and looked at my history, and sure enough, there were two updates that appeared related to Chrome (the rest were Thunderbird and Adobe): "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" and "chromium-browser". As I have my Chrome bookmarks synced and was able to access them from the Windows partition of my hard drive, I felt secure in unistalling and reinstalling Chrome if I had to. So I decided I'd best remove these updates. I started with "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra", since "chromium-browser" appeared to be the actual browser itself, and when I clicked on Remove, the Update Manager informed me that if I removed this update, "chromium-browser" would also be removed. I told it to go ahead and remove the update.

Updated removed (at the possible expense of my browser), I tried launching Chrome from the icon embedded in the panel at the bottom of my desktop. This time, instead of acting like it would launch, it did absolutely nothing. I assume this may be because the browser itself was removed along with the "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" update, but when I checked "chromium-browser" in Software Manager, it listed it as still being installed. I thought perhaps it had regressed to a different version? Clueless at this point, I removed "chromium-browser" through the Software Manager to try to uninstall the application completely.

In doing so, I found that Linux did not remove the launch icon from my desktop panel, but Chrome *was* gone from my list of Applications. Assuming the application was now actually gone and that the icon was just a leftover, I installed "chromium-browser" again from the Software Manager. Chrome then appeared in my list of Applications, so I clicked on it there. Once again, I got absolutely nothing, not even the pretext of Chrome attempting to start.

Finally, I went back into Software Manager, removed "chromium-browser" again, and rebooted my machine to see what effect that would have on it. When Linux started up again, the little launch icon was gone from my desktop panel and I felt like I was getting somewhere. I went back into Software Manager and installed "chromium-browser" again, then rebooted the machine *again*, hoping that would sort it. The little launch icon had reappeared on my desktop panel and is still there as I type this.

Now I apparently have "chromium-browser" installed, according to Software Manager, and I can see it in my list of Applications. If I click on the launch icon in my desktop panel, the little tab that says Chrome is starting appears in the panel and acts like it's trying to launch, then vanishes and does nothing further. If I click on Chrome in my list of Applications, absolutely nothing happens - it doesn't even act like it's trying to launch. If I enter the "top" command into terminal to try to see if Chrome is in fact doing *anything*, I see nothing that looks like it's related to Chrome.

This is where I am now. I am unable to get Chrome to launch even though I removed the updates and did a fresh install. I can't get it to run from terminal and in my limited knowledge, I simply don't know what to do next. I would appreciate any help anyone more knowledgeable could give me. Thank you.
delphi
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Chromium Won't Launch

Post by delphi »

Hi same thing happened to me today Chromium was working OK yesterday but after update it no longer starts up.
Firefox is OK and I installed Opera and that is working fine.

Chris
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Are you talking about Chrome or Chromium? They are two separate programs. Are you talking about both?

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
minty_fresh_17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minty_fresh_17 »

Sorry, I'm talking about the web browser Google Chrome, which I find Mint refers to as Google Chromium. I was unaware that there was another program with a similar name. Which program does what, please?
JeremyB
Level 20
Level 20

Post by JeremyB »

Chrome and Chromium are both web browsers. I use Google Chrome myself but they haven't supported 32 bit installs for Linux for a while now. Chromium is supposed to be the open source version of Google Chrome
minty_fresh_17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minty_fresh_17 »

Okay. I believe I am using Chromium, then. It was originally installed through the Software Manager, Mint refers to it as Chromium, and "chromium-browser" is what I've been removing and reinstalling. And it worked fine just yesterday, so I don't see that I could have installed Chrome if there aren't any 32-bit installs available. I just called it Chrome because that's the "official" version and I considered them the same, but my browser is the Linux-supported Chromium in term of actual code.
revian
Level 3
Level 3

Post by revian »

minty_fresh_17 wrote:Sorry, I'm talking about the web browser Google Chrome, which I find Mint refers to as Google Chromium. I was unaware that there was another program with a similar name. Which program does what, please?
Chrome is available from Google, as far as I know it isn't in the official repos. The package in the repos named "chromium-browser" is the open source version (different from Google's Chrome).
Operating within normal parameters
minty_fresh_17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minty_fresh_17 »

Yeah, thanks. I'm sure I'm using Chromium now, because I downloaded my browser from Software Manager. I didn't go to Google's site to do it.
jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

Chromium is an open source browser, upon which Google Chrome is based. Google adds their own proprietary code to Chromium to make Google Chrome. Chromium is completely open source, so one can be sure there are no back doors or other malware in it. With Google Chrome, you have no way of knowing what might be in it. All the apps and addons made for Chrome will also work in Chromium, or at least all of them that I have tried work in Chromium. Google is no longer supporting 32 bit processors with Chrome, but Chromium still runs on 32 bit computers.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
minty_fresh_17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minty_fresh_17 »

That explains why I can sync my Chrome version of the browser in Windows to the Chromium version I run under Linux. I still don't have any idea how to get Chromium to function again, though.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

here is the LAST 32bit chrome available https://archive.org/download/google-chr ... 116-1_i386
Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn »

minty_fresh_17 wrote:I also tried typing in "sudo chromium" to see if I could get the application to launch from there - terminal requested my password with [sudo] password for me: (and this is where it gets weirder), and although the cursor sat there flashing like normal, terminal would not allow me to type my administrative password.
Programs that open a window outside of terminal are called GUI (graphical user interface). Never open GUI programs with "sudo". Use "gksudo".

When asking for a sudo password it appears nothing is happening, as in no cursor movement and no change in the blinking. That is by design.

I see no reason to open a browser, ever, with admin privilege and it seems that would be a security risk.
I started with "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra", since "chromium-browser" appeared to be the actual browser itself, and when I clicked on Remove, the Update Manager informed me that if I removed this update, "chromium-browser" would also be removed. I told it to go ahead and remove the update.

Updated removed (at the possible expense of my browser), I tried launching Chrome from the icon embedded in the panel at the bottom of my desktop. This time, instead of acting like it would launch, it did absolutely nothing. I assume this may be because the browser itself was removed along with the "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" update, but when I checked "chromium-browser" in Software Manager, it listed it as still being installed. I thought perhaps it had regressed to a different version?
The codecs are needed for Chromium and the version numbers for both need to match.
Clueless at this point, I removed "chromium-browser" through the Software Manager to try to uninstall the application completely.
What do you mean "unisnstall the application completely"? The Software Manager does leave fragments behind. "Sudo apt purge <program name>" gets rid of some additional files. You will also have personal settings and files in your home folder as hidden directories. Hit <ctrl><H> to show hidden files and you know which are hidde since the names start with a dot (.). Don't remove the hidden files yet.
In doing so, I found that Linux did not remove the launch icon from my desktop panel, but Chrome *was* gone from my list of Applications.

Now I apparently have "chromium-browser" installed, according to Software Manager...

...If I enter the "top" command into terminal to try to see if Chrome is in fact doing *anything*, I see nothing that looks like it's related to Chrome.
Sometimes it takes a reboot to update the menu.

The top command can be useful but not for what you are doing. In your menu you should find "System Monitor" for something like this.

Since Chromium is installed, try launching it from a temporary profile.

Code: Select all

chromium --temp-profile
or it might be chromium-browser depending on your edition.

If you are able to successfully launch this way there is a problem with your profile which is the hidden stuff in your home folder I mentioned. You cold rename the whole folder. On next launch the folder will be recreated with a fresh profile the same as --temp-profle does. You can them add things back from the renamed folder one piece at a time until you find what caused the problem.

If launching that way didn't work, what was the full output in the terminal?
minty_fresh_17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minty_fresh_17 »

Thank you for offering me several pointers. Much of what you're saying is new to me, and I'm not certain how to apply all of it.
The codecs are needed for Chromium and the version numbers for both need to match.
I looked up both "chromium-browser" and "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" in the Software Manager and the numbers do match - both are version 61.0.3163.79-0ubuntu0.16.04.1300. Does this mean that Chromium requires every codec available that matches its version?
What do you mean "unisnstall the application completely"? The Software Manager does leave fragments behind. "Sudo apt purge <program name>" gets rid of some additional files. You will also have personal settings and files in your home folder as hidden directories. Hit <ctrl><H> to show hidden files and you know which are hidde since the names start with a dot (.). Don't remove the hidden files yet.
I was unaware that Software Manager left behind fragments or that I had hidden files. If/when I remove "chromium-browser" again, I'll try the purge command. Just hitting crtl-h didn't do anything, so I assumed I needed to actually be in a folder of some sort. I went to my user folder and I have a number of folders which apparently contain hidden files, and I don't know which might apply to this situation (there's .cache, .config, .dbus, etc.). When you say "home folder", do you mean the folder under my user name, or something else I'm unaware of?

Thank you for telling me about the System Monitor - I see it in "System Tools" and I assume the processes tab is what I need. I will keep an eye on it when I next experiment.

chromium --temp-profile

I tried typing chromium --temp-profile into the terminal exactly as you have it here. It did not launch, and the terminal's output was chromium: command not found.

Thank you for helping me with this.
Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn »

minty_fresh_17 wrote:I looked up both "chromium-browser" and "chromium-codecs-ffmpeg-extra" in the Software Manager and the numbers do match - both are version 61.0.3163.79-0ubuntu0.16.04.1300. Does this mean that Chromium requires every codec available that matches its version?
Just those 2 need to match.

chromium --temp-profile

I tried typing chromium --temp-profile into the terminal exactly as you have it here. It did not launch, and the terminal's output was chromium: command not found.

Thank you for helping me with this.
You left out something in the quote. Right after the code select I pointed out you might need to alter it to chromium-browser meaning

chromium-browser --temp-profile
or whatever is supposed to launch Chromium for you. For my distro (LMDE) it is just "chromium". The important part is "--temp-profile" bypasses your profile in the home folder.

And yes, home folder is the one with your name. "/home/(yourname)" is the full path and that is usually shortened to just a tilde "~" so one of the places you find chromium files for your individual profile would be written as either "~/.config" or the long form is "/home/(yourname)/.config".

Note - the tilde may look like a dash in some fonts and sizes but it is the wavy line that is the <shift> of the accent <`> which in English keyboards is usually to the left of <1>.
minty_fresh_17
Level 1
Level 1

Post by minty_fresh_17 »

I missed the alteration in your previous post. I tried typing chromium-browser --temp-profile into terminal and received this output:

Using PPAPI flash.
--disable-new-tab-first-run --enable-user-scripts --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=
[6718:6746:0924/135636.790281:FATAL:nss_util.cc(632)] NSS_VersionCheck("3.26") failed. NSS >= 3.26 is required. Please upgrade to the latest NSS, and if you still get this error, contact your distribution maintainer.
/usr/bin/chromium-browser: line 230: 6718 Aborted $LIBDIR/$APPNAME $CHROMIUM_FLAGS "$@"

I am unfamiliar with this sort of thing - having only used Linux for a few months I have had little interaction so far with the terminal. I recognize that it's somehow related to the adobe flash plugin and that it wants an upgrade, but I'm sure sure where to go from here. Typing "adobe-flash" into the Software Manager search yielded three different plugins, two of which it says I already have installed, but I note that none of their version numbers match my current version of chromium. I don't know where to acquire the latest compatible NSS.

I was able to find the "chromium" folder under the hidden .config folder in my user folder. It contains over a dozen folders and many files. If you recommend I remove and reinstall chromium completely fresh, I can try removing the application in Software Manager and deleting all of the hidden files.

Thank you for your patience, as I'm quite inexperienced.
trytip
Level 13
Level 13

Post by trytip »

Last edited by trytip on Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penn
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Penn »

minty_fresh_17 wrote:I missed the alteration in your previous post. I tried typing chromium-browser --temp-profile into terminal and received this output:

Using PPAPI flash.
--disable-new-tab-first-run --enable-user-scripts --ppapi-flash-path=/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/libpepflashplayer.so --ppapi-flash-version=
[6718:6746:0924/135636.790281:FATAL:nss_util.cc(632)] NSS_VersionCheck("3.26") failed. NSS >= 3.26 is required. Please upgrade to the latest NSS, and if you still get this error, contact your distribution maintainer.
/usr/bin/chromium-browser: line 230: 6718 Aborted $LIBDIR/$APPNAME $CHROMIUM_FLAGS "$@"

I am unfamiliar with this sort of thing - having only used Linux for a few months I have had little interaction so far with the terminal. I recognize that it's somehow related to the adobe flash plugin and that it wants an upgrade, but I'm sure sure where to go from here. Typing "adobe-flash" into the Software Manager search yielded three different plugins, two of which it says I already have installed, but I note that none of their version numbers match my current version of chromium. I don't know where to acquire the latest compatible NSS.

I was able to find the "chromium" folder under the hidden .config folder in my user folder. It contains over a dozen folders and many files. If you recommend I remove and reinstall chromium completely fresh, I can try removing the application in Software Manager and deleting all of the hidden files.

Thank you for your patience, as I'm quite inexperienced.
The error has nothing to do with flash. The error is "NSS_VersionCheck("3.26") failed. NSS >= 3.26 is required" and it even suggest a solution "Please upgrade to the latest NSS, and if you still get this error, contact your distribution maintainer.". In this case the distribution maintainer is Ubuntu but before addressing them, take a look at the available version in the repo and if it is even installed.

apt policy libnss3
I don't have access to one of the Ubuntu based versions at the moment but my version is 2:3.26(then a bunch of stuff) which means the epoch number is 2 but the version Debian has is the minimum of 3.26. If it isn't installed and the version is high enough, install it.

sudo apt install libnss3
If the available version is too low, try to find a more recent version from a reputable source such as in the debian repos or do as it says, contact Ubuntu (probably better than contacting them yourself would be to check if it has been reported). Of course, if the needed version isn't available I'm sure it has been reported so you could wait for the correct version to become available.
koj1310
Level 1
Level 1

Post by koj1310 »

Penn wrote:
minty_fresh_17 wrote:

sudo apt install libnss3

Thanks Penn, this solved my case, and fixed chrome, chromium and vivaldi.
mintmikey
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mintmikey »

I'm having the same problem on my system that I have updated from Mint 19.3 to 20 but also on a freshly installed mint 20 laptop.
This seems to be a general issue.
On the freshly installed laptop I installed Chromium and it just installs like there is nothing wrong.
But under Internet there does not appear any Icon for Chromium and it also does not come up when I type it in the search bar.
Is there someone that has Chromium running on Linux Mint 20?

Return to “Software & Applications”