How can I get an audio file played *directly* into the mic?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How can I get an audio file played *directly* into the mic?

Post by phd21 »

Hi "pepperminty",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Perhaps this link will help you.
Use pre-recorded Mp3 for Google Voice Greeting, Upload Voicemail Greeting Google Voice
https://youtu.be/giwBv4o35LE

How can I download a voicemail greeting to my Google phone? I have an MP3 greeting that I would like to use. Thanks!
* Note this only works if your sound card has the option for "Stereo Mix" - install qasmixer to find out, check mic0 at bottom. And, you still need a softphone with a phone number (Google Voice verified) on your computer.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/ ... kZZlfQtNnM

How do I record a Google Voice greeting from my computer?
https://www.quora.com/How-do-I-record-a ... y-computer

Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I still have a GoogleVoice account, but I don't actively use it any longer because it's been too problematic.

I've had issues with being identified correctly to the other party, or even getting the correct phone number reported to me on my end.

Also, to this day, it STILL does not support MMS. There's absolutely no excuse for this.

Beyond that, all the 2012-13 and later revelations demonstrate that where possible, neither Google nor any other major corporation should be allowed in the loop, whenever possible, vis a vis communication with others.

Besides, with Signal and WhatsApp, I can chat and talk with friends elsewhere at no cost, no matter where on the planet they live. GoogleVoice can't really match that.

Lastly, Google eliminated the capacity to use GV on a regular computer to make calls and send SMS, so to me it no longer has any remaining case use.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Portreve", & Anyone Else Interested in This,

Personally, I have always been very impressed with Google and their Google Voice / Hangouts for offering a free option for people to make and receive free calls to phone numbers anywhere in the USA, Canada, Mexico?, some other places too, and low-cost options to other countries. It may not be perfect, but overall its free. There are also hardware devices that allow you to connect regular phones and use their Google Voice service (Obi) , and there are apps for smartphones too. They also provide voicemail with transcription options, various cool and useful call features as well. You can use Google Hangouts for multimedia messaging (text, voice, and or video calling).
Portreve wrote:I still have a GoogleVoice account, but I don't actively use it any longer because it's been too problematic.
I've had issues with being identified correctly to the other party, or even getting the correct phone number reported to me on my end.
I have rarely had problems with Google Voice. I cannot say whether or not people I have called receive an incorrect caller id because they have not said so.
Portreve wrote:Also, to this day, it STILL does not support MMS. There's absolutely no excuse for this.
Google Voice does not support multimedia messaging (messages with pictures or videos) as far as I know, but it does support regular text SMS very well. I have used this feature many times. I too would like Google Voice to support MMS.
Portreve wrote:Besides, with Signal and WhatsApp, I can chat and talk with friends elsewhere at no cost, no matter where on the planet they live. GoogleVoice can't really match that.
I agree that there are more secure applications for free multimedia messaging or voice and video calling versus regular phones, smartphones, Google Talk / hangouts, the insecure Skype, etc... Here are some others "qTox" (QTox)", Wire, Jitsi, Ring, Linphone, etc... These are free for anyone anywhere in the world to use, but mnmost of these do not call regular phones and phone numbers. Softphones and other Voip-SIP applications (Linphone, etc...) can indeed call phones and phone numbers, but you have to pay a SIP provider for this feature; You can make free sip-voip voice and video calls to other free sip-voip accounts though.
Portreve wrote:Lastly, Google eliminated the capacity to use GV on a regular computer to make calls and send SMS, so to me it no longer has any remaining case use.
Actually, you can use regular computers to make and receive calls using Google Voice on computers using Google Chrome and or other Chromium based browsers like SlimJet and Opera, etc.... I tested this last night and it works. There is a Google Hangouts / Talk plugin that should be installed on your computer system (see link below). For many months now Firefox has not been able to make or receive calls through the Gmail Interface like it used to do (lower left of Gmail webpage), not sure if going to Google Hangouts webpage or add-on for FireFox works for this or not. The Firefox messages I have been getting claim that they are working on this, but I have not seen any progress on this yet. I do hope they fix that soon.

Google Hangouts / Talk plugin for any computer operating system including Linux.
https://tools.google.com/dlpage/hangoutplugin

For "PepperMinty" and others regarding this post, one thing I do not like is that at some point they changed Google Voice, so that now it is not easy to change your Google Voice Mail message from your computer without using another phone and phone number, or another phone application??? You used to be able to do this easily with your Google Voice phone Number, but not anymore which is very inconvenient, although it is easy to change your voicemail messages (or create new ones), using any phone.

This may seem low tech and not the best option for this post, but it would easily work for this post, you could use any phone and its microphone to create a new Google Voicemail message with whatever is playing from your stereo, or computer, or whatever audible source, by playing whatever you want and just putting the phone and its microphone close to a speaker during the recording of your voicemail message and it will record whatever is playing.

FYI: While researching this post for "pepperminty", others, and myself. I did come across another free phone call provider called "FireRTC", but I have yet to determine if it you get a free phone number and if it can receive calls, but it can make free phone calls from your computer to phone numbers.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
pepperminty
Level 6
Level 6

Post by pepperminty »

Bump.

Return to “Software & Applications”