Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
siz182
Level 1
Level 1

ipod new gen compatibility

Post by siz182 » Thu May 07, 2009 4:13 am

I've been doing a lot of searching around lately for compatibility info on the newest generation iPod classic, either 80GB or 160GB. I'm looking at buying a new MP3 player, one with a large storage capacity, which really only leaves the iPod or Zune. I want it to be compatible with Linux though, I don't want to have to use Windows as a crutch. I've read a lot of posts about how the new generation Nanos and iTouches currently are not functional using Linux, but nothing about the iPod Classic. The only info I can find, via Google searches, are posts dated 2007, so nothing up to date.

So the main questions I have are: 1) Is the newest generation iPod classic (80 or 160GB) compatible with Linux now? By that of course I mean full read/write capability and having the music play on the device. 2) If not, what are some MP3 players that are generally compatible w/Linux or that you have had good experience with?

Thanks in advance for your input!

k0tuk
Level 2
Level 2

Re: ipod new gen compatibility

Post by k0tuk » Fri May 08, 2009 3:05 am

I have an ipod nano (2nd generation nano) myself, and finding a tool for ipod, that would have all the features that iTunes have (music, video transfer to ipod, artwork support) was a real pain in the rear for me. I did a lot of researching and the best app i found for myself is gtkpod. The only thing that gtkpod doesn`t have is automatic artwork downloading from internet, but i don`t really care, since usually there wasn`t any artwork for my favorite music style in the itunes either. You can check gtkpod wiki for supported ipods: http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/Supported+iPods

If this is your ipod: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IPod_classic.png , than looks like gtkpod does support it.

siz182
Level 1
Level 1

Post by siz182 » Sat May 09, 2009 4:52 am

Yup, that's the one. Looks like I'll be able to get what I need done with gtkpod too. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. Cheers!

markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend » Sat May 09, 2009 6:14 am

I have a related problem:

I have a 4th gen iPod (60G colour photo model) that came Mac-formatted (HFS journalled). At first it came up as read-only, but with a bit of research, I found out you can turn the journalling off via a Mac (see here if anyone else is having the same problem)

So it was working for a while, I managed to add three albums last week with gtkpod. (Incidentally it worked with rhythmbox too.)

But today it's come up as read-only again. I've not tried it in the Mac again but I can't imagine that it's automagically turned journalling on again? Or could it have?

#Edit: never mind it's working again now! :roll:
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

k0tuk
Level 2
Level 2

Post by k0tuk » Sat May 09, 2009 9:01 am

You are welcome :)

markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:55 am

markfiend wrote:I have a related problem:

I have a 4th gen iPod (60G colour photo model) that came Mac-formatted (HFS journalled). At first it came up as read-only, but with a bit of research, I found out you can turn the journalling off via a Mac (see here if anyone else is having the same problem)

So it was working for a while, I managed to add three albums last week with gtkpod. (Incidentally it worked with rhythmbox too.)

But today it's come up as read-only again. I've not tried it in the Mac again but I can't imagine that it's automagically turned journalling on again? Or could it have?

#Edit: never mind it's working again now! :roll:
And today it came up as a read-only file-system again. It seems to be whenever the iPod powers down (as in, starting up shows the apple logo) next time I try to add more music, it turns up as a read-only file-system.

Puzzled.

markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:35 am

Right, thread necro but...

My problem is that whenever my iPod powers down the next time I plug it into my Mint box it shows up as a read-only file-system.

A workaround I've found is to plug it into my Mac, then the next time I plug it in, it works read-write with my Mint box... until it powers off again.

As it is HFS (Mac) formatted, one idea I had is to reformat to FAT32. I've also considered sticking Rockbox on it. But then I have a Griffin iTrip that I need to work (for music while I'm driving) and I'm not sure that the iTrip compatibility will survive either process.

Anyone any ideas?

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu » Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:04 am

siz182 wrote:I've been doing a lot of searching around lately for compatibility info on the newest generation iPod classic, either 80GB or 160GB. I'm looking at buying a new MP3 player, one with a large storage capacity, which really only leaves the iPod or Zune.
You missed Cowon & Archos
http://www.cowonamerica.com/products/
http://www.archos.com/products/imt/inde ... ca&lang=en

markfiend
Level 4
Level 4

Post by markfiend » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:18 am

markfiend wrote:Right, thread necro but...

My problem is that whenever my iPod powers down the next time I plug it into my Mint box it shows up as a read-only file-system.

A workaround I've found is to plug it into my Mac, then the next time I plug it in, it works read-write with my Mint box... until it powers off again.

As it is HFS (Mac) formatted, one idea I had is to reformat to FAT32. I've also considered sticking Rockbox on it. But then I have a Griffin iTrip that I need to work (for music while I'm driving) and I'm not sure that the iTrip compatibility will survive either process.

Anyone any ideas?
A six-month old problem... (edit: nine months actually!)

Solved!

From this link: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-999300.html The bottom post by gorgon. Running fsck on the iPod gets it to work properly with rhythmbox!

Sid32
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Sid32 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:18 am

Don't forget that floola(.com) is also an option for ipods. Doesn't work with touches or 5th gen nanos yet, but works fine with other ipod models. Its portable, has a windows versions as well.

Return to “Software & Applications”