Best Linux movie maker/video editing software?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
africanlion
Level 3
Level 3

Best Linux movie maker/video editing software?

Post by africanlion »

I want to make a short film of my holiday trip captured on my android phone and would appreciate suggestions on the best easy to use video editing software

Thanks

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Best Linux movie maker/video editing software?

Post by Hoser Rob »

Kdeenlive is good, so is Openshot, and I think Openshot is easier to use.

Palladini921
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Palladini921 »

Kdenlive is good, You can download free version of Lightworks, they Hollywood movies have been made on that Program. I have used both, but Lightworks go the boot because it does not work well with my MiniDV tape cameras, so I gave i the boot.

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "africanlion",

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

Once you have the video downloaded to your computer, there are many good to excellent video editors and some "movie makers" (slideshow makers) some of which have already been mentioned. There are a lot of good posts on this in this forum already.

A lot of recommendations would depend upon what you want to do with the video, so if you could be more specific about what your goal is, that would help. What are the video dimensions? Do you want to make a DVD to play in a regular DVD / Blu-Ray player?

+1 for the superb "Kdenlive" (if you are using Cinnamon, Mate, of Xfce, install "kde-runtime"). I would also highly recommend going into the "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" an installing all recommended and suggested packages for Kdenlive.

+1 for these video editors: Lightworks (the professional paid for version (LWS)), Openshot, Shotcut, Lives, cinelerra-cv, Pitivi, Flowblade (may conflict with Kdenlive), etc... YouTube's online video editor is also pretty good.

MovieMakers: "ffDiaporama" v2.1 (my favorite), "Imagination", videoporama, "4K Slideshow Maker", "PhotoFilmStrip", etc...

DVD makers: Bombono (my favorite), DeVeDe, DVDstyler, OpenDVD Producer, etc...

Previous post with good information.
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=240580&hilit=ffdiaporama&start=40

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Xfce) & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 2 in 1, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics. I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

dth2
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dth2 »

I have never seen the command:

inxi -Fxzd

What a great way to pick up system info.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Palladini921 wrote:Kdenlive is good, You can download free version of Lightworks, they Hollywood movies have been made on that Program.
That may sound like a good recommendation but for most users it just isn't. REAL professional software is written for actual professionals who know what they're doing. Casual users will get lost very quickly, and a simpler app would be better for them.

As someone said to me a long time ago, just because you have a program that will do a certain job doesn't mean YOU can do it.
I have used both, but Lightworks go the boot because it does not work well with my MiniDV tape cameras, so I gave i the boot.
A common misconception about real professional media software is that it will handle any and all codecs/formats. But in the real world these pros only use a small number of formats. The software they use doesn't work with other formats than those because there's no need for it for pro use.

delphi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by delphi »

I use KdenLive and Shotcut, I find both pretty good.

theStreak
Level 3
Level 3

Post by theStreak »

Shotcut.
Practice safe computing -- use a live CD

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

administrollaattori wrote:Kdenlive
+1
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Software & Applications”