Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

[SOLVED] Installing Qt Development Environment

Post by windyweather »

It's been a few versions of Mint since I used the Qt tools. Back then i had to find them and manually install them. Now they appear to be in the system.
I followed the instructions on this page, which were the most recent ones that i could find, but I get failures with something called Kits, which is apparently a short cut for how to find the compilers and make tools that are needed by the environment. What am I missing please. Do we have a better set of instructions for how to install all the parts and get them working?

How to Install Qt 5 Development Environment. from Nov 2016 apparently.
https://prognotes.net/2016/11/install-q ... ols-linux/

Screenshots here: https://imgur.com/a/WhSyA

Thanks, ww
Last edited by windyweather on Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Systems include LM 20 in VirtualBox / Win 10 Host on AMD Ryzen 3800x / AsRock A300 Ryzen 3200G]
MintBean

Re: Installing Qt Development Environment

Post by MintBean »

I installed Qt Creator. Great IDE and it handled all the required dependencies.
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

I'll try 18.2

Post by windyweather »

I haven't upgraded to 18.2 yet. I'll do that now and see if that fixes it.
[Systems include LM 20 in VirtualBox / Win 10 Host on AMD Ryzen 3800x / AsRock A300 Ryzen 3200G]
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

No Joy with 18.2

Post by windyweather »

Still no kits found.
QtCreator can't find Qtmake, which is apparently installed according to package manager.

I uninstalled and reinstalled QtCreator - no joy there either.

So what have other folks done to make this work?
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

I actually installed Qt Creator from a .deb available on their website because for some reason I assumed it wouldn't be available in the repos. Worked out okay as it has a mechanism to update itself, so you could try uninstalling and installing that version, although I'm sure others have had success with the repo version.

First try this in a terminal if you haven't already, then restart Qt Creator.

Code: Select all

apt install build-essential
If it's still no dice, take a look in tools->options->build and run->kits and see if there are options to manually select.
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Ok Figured it out.

Post by windyweather »

Well there are a few things missing. Qmake was installed, but the QtCreator didn't find it. So you have to hook that up manually by showing it qmake in /usr/bin. I may have manually installed qmake or q5make from the package manager manually.

Also qmlscene is not installed. So I did that with Software Manager. thats Que Em Ell Scene by the way since it's hard to tell in this font.

I installed build essentials as pointed out above. I had already installed gcc, or it was done because I updated the kernel - not sure which. Anyway. That probably comes along with build essentials.

After doing those things I went back through the kit options tab and made sure everything was happy. Make sure to do apply. BTW, I'm editing the Desktop kit here. Again, you have to hook qmake up manually by browsing to /usr/bin in the make section.

After all that, it works for me. For a small test project built with widgets, which was the goal.

Here are the screenshots updated with the success.

https://imgur.com/a/WhSyA

Now where is that SOLVED button?
Looks like some of the install packages need work for this. Don't we think there are way too many undocumented steps to be saying that this is "working"?

Cheers, ww
MintBean

Post by MintBean »

Congratulations - I'm sorry it was such a chore. To add 'solved' just edit your first post which includes the thread title.
windyweather
Level 3
Level 3

Well maybe not totally solved

Post by windyweather »

Now I've tried to reproduce the install on a VirutalBox VM with Win10 host.
It's not going well. At this point it is crashing the VM. Or the QtCreator Window flashes up and then goes down.
If I launch it from a terminal window it takes down the guest with an memory exception.
I've put that issue into the VirtualBox forums for some help.
But it looks like using QtCreator / Qt needs some work here on LM.
Thanks,
ww
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Installing Qt Development Environment

Post by shawnhcorey »

After a lot of t&e and searching the web, I got these packages installed. Qt seems to be working correctly with them but I'm not sure I need all of them.

I'm running dist-upgrade Linux Mint 17.3 AMD-64.

Code: Select all

build-essential
qml
qmlscene
qt4-demos
qt4-doc
qt4-doc-html
qt5-doc
qt5-doc-html
qtcreator
qtdeclarative5-controls-plugin
qtdeclarative5-dev