Package Manager 'locked'. (SOLVED)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
leadwtZ

Package Manager 'locked'. (SOLVED)

Post by leadwtZ »

Hello,

EDIT 20/10 Since starting this thread I have looked at/tried various options using 'dpkg' with no success probably because I have got the syntax wrong.
This image http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x48 ... 7UWp09.png will help - I hope!

My Update Manager has four items to install one of which is virtualbox-ext-pack version 5.1.30-2. This has arrived via the PPA costamagnagianfranco-virtualbox-ppa (launchpad.net) link.

When starting the update I get the response from the Update Manager as shown here: https://imageshack.com/i/pnw5Zgd7p

Running the suggested solution starts OK and runs through the License Agreement but then sticks at the end of item 10 (Miscellaneous) of said Agreement. From this point on the system does nothing.

I did try to downgrade foreign packages to see if I could re-install the whole lot but the same error comes up regardless. I have also unselected this upgrade but get the same error.

Any ideas please?

Running Linux MInt 18.2 'Sonya' Mate 1.18.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: 'Update' is 'locked'.

Post by Pjotr »

Re-run dpkg and try to activate any OK button in the terminal by means of the Tab key. Then press Enter.

You have to find a way of accepting that license in the terminal. That's the key to the solution. If there is no OK button to activate, try hitting the Q key and then Enter.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

FYI, the latest version of VBox is 5.2, so maybe the better answer would be to upgrade.
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

Pjotr - thanks. Tried numerous combinations, gone thru entire keyboard no luck. I'll give their forum a buzz I reckon.

pbear arh yes but that does not solve the issue as it is the process that is locked.

I shall return.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

I've not had a problem like this, but if I did what I'd do is purge the old version then install 5.2. See, e.g., here, here and here. Note you want to export, move or copy your VMs first. Also, I suspect you'll have to reboot before you start to let Synaptic have complete control of packages.

Again, though, I've not done this, so if someone comes along with a better idea, take it!
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

pbear I am glad that you have not had this problem because it is a pain.

Anyway just to clarify: no commands either via terminal or Synaptic or Update Manager work. 'Purge' 'Downgrade Foreign Packages' etc all result in the same error.

I think I will have to find the file/package on the system and remove it using 'delete'.

Thanks.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

First thing I would do is revise the thread title. Something like: Package manager won't open. You'll get more and better responses.

Second, pretty sure your problem isn't packages but rather the repositories list. Manually deleting packages is just gonna make this messier.

Third, to confirm. You did a complete shutdown, right? If apt is hung, it'll probably take that to release it.

Good luck.
leadwtZ

Re: Package Manager 'locked'.

Post by leadwtZ »

Thanks pbear.

Yes numerous re-boots since this started and I have amended the title. Also added another image which shows the package situation with regard to VB.
kukamuumuka

Re: Package Manager 'locked'.

Post by kukamuumuka »

Manually remove a broken package -> viewtopic.php?f=42&t=245428&p=1314762#p1314762

Code: Select all

sudo mv /var/lib/dpkg/info/packet_name_here.* /tmp/
sudo dpkg --remove --force-remove-reinstreq packet_name_here
sudo apt-get update
leadwtZ

Re: Package Manager 'locked'. (SOLVED)

Post by leadwtZ »

administrollaattori that worked like a charm. :D

Thanks very much.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Now that you're out of the quicksand, I'll ask the question I was too polite to ask before. How did you end up with that ppa in the first place? I have VBox on two Mint machines, the repo version on one and the current version on the other. For the latter, updates come from virtualbox.org. Up to you, of course, but ISTM you'd be better off purging the old version (now that you can) and downloading direct from Oracle.
leadwtZ

Post by leadwtZ »

I originally used the defualt VB from the standard repos but as it was an old version I upgraded to the then latest via PPA costamagnagianfranco-virtualbox-ppa (launchpad.net) which has been in place ever since.

I have now removed that and downgraded my 'foreign' packages to the 'old' 5.04.

It is all running OK so I will leave it at that.

Perhaps a lot to be said for not introducing 'unsupported' software.

I manged to wash all the quicksand off while walking the dogs in the rain this morning so a good start to the day. :wink:
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Not necessarily a bad strategy - as mentioned, I'm running the repo version on one of my machines - but do understand it's out of support and no longer receiving security updates. Notably, until recently, Oracle was showing the 5.0.40 extension pack on the main download page but it's no longer there. This suggests they consider it too far out of date. For this reason, I'm planning to upgrade that machine soon (not in a rush because I don't take VMs online). Meanwhile, as regards your disaster, getting direct updates from Oracle should avoid whatever glitch happened here.

Return to “Software & Applications”