Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
oligalma
Level 2
Level 2

Audacity recordings location [SOLVED]

Post by oligalma »

I often record with Audacity. However, I don't know where the recordings are stored. Where can I find them?
Last edited by oligalma on Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Audacity recordings location

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

Once you save an Audacity project file (.aup), a folder bearing the same name appended with "_data" gets created alongside it. E.g., a project file named "my-one-hit-wonder.aup" will have a folder named "my-one-hit-wonder_data" created in the same location where the project file was saved.

The generated .au files in the _data folder (there will be other folders beneath the _data folder BTW) are used internally by Audacity itself. Each .au file contains about a 6 second chunk of audio (from what I see) from one of the tracks in your project file.

If what you're after instead is the final result of your audio editing process, export the project file to an audio format of your choice.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

oligalma
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oligalma »

Pilosopong Tasyo wrote:Once you save an Audacity project file (.aup), a folder bearing the same name appended with "_data" gets created alongside it. E.g., a project file named "my-one-hit-wonder.aup" will have a folder named "my-one-hit-wonder_data" created in the same location where the project file was saved.

The generated .au files in the _data folder (there will be other folders beneath the _data folder BTW) are used internally by Audacity itself. Each .au file contains about a 6 second chunk of audio (from what I see) from one of the tracks in your project file.

If what you're after instead is the final result of your audio editing process, export the project file to an audio format of your choice.
Ok, thanks for your answer. So if you don't save or export anything, the recordings are lost? Imagine that you record a very long track. i want to make sure this track disappears, in order not to lose hard disk space...

Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

oligalma wrote:So if you don't save or export anything, the recordings are lost? Imagine that you record a very long track. i want to make sure this track disappears, in order not to lose hard disk space
Ah, well in that case, go to Edit > Preferences > Directories in Audacity. Any unsaved recording(s) are placed in the indicated temporary files directory location (e.g. /var/tmp/audacity-yourusername).

That said, Audacity is going to delete unsaved recordings anyway as part of its cleanup routine once you exit the application. However, in the event of a crash, those recordings will remain. Re-open Audacity, and it will prompt you that there is an unsaved project file. Tell it to discard the project and exit Audacity afterwards. It will do the cleanup for you.

Or... you can just DIY, once you know the temporary files directory. :mrgreen:

HTH.
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].

oligalma
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oligalma »

Many thanks Pilosopong Tasyo! It's all clear.

Return to “Software & Applications”