Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
miketurn
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Antivirus For Scanning Windows Software

Post by miketurn » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:26 pm

Hello everyone,

Kind of a foolish question that I think I already know the answer too, but...
Is there such a thing as free antivirus software, that installs into Linux Mint, that can scan downloaded Windows based files for viruses / malware / etc.?
Again, I think I know the answer. :D

I guess my next question would be, I know there are online antivirus scanners that you can scan files off of other websites to see if they are safe, but is there some kind of site that can scan multiple files downloaded off of a folder on your computer?
Not really the route I would want to take, not because I am downloading anything that I would be concerned if others knew, but more the fact that i would not really want any website accessing my computer in that way.

Anyways, if anyone has any information to share, please do so.
Thank You

phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Antivirus For Scanning Windows Software

Post by phd21 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi "miketurn",

Needless to say, there are many good posts on this topic in this forum already, if you search for them.

Need for an antivirus.?
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=238726&hilit=maldet

VirusTotal is a great online website scanner...
https://www.virustotal.com/#/home/upload

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint KDE 18.3 & 19, 64-bit Awesome OS, Ancient Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram,256gb SDD, Video: Intel 4 Graphics, DVD Lightscribe. Why I use KDE?:https://opensource.com/life/15/4/9-reasons-to-use-kde

karlchen
Level 20
Level 20

Post by karlchen » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:14 pm

Hello, miketurn.
Is there such a thing as free antivirus software, that installs into Linux Mint, that can scan downloaded Windows based files for viruses / malware / etc.?
You will find clamtk (the graphical user interface), which will pull in clamscan (the on demand scanner) and clamav-freshclam (the antivirus database updater), in the official software repositories.
No need to install any resident component which runs all the time, if you only want to scan downloaded Windows files for malware on demand.

Yet, to be frank, personally I cannot really recommend clamav, because its detection rate is not among the best; plus it is pretty likely to scare you to death with false positives, in case you enable the option to search for PUA (potentially unwanted software).

I had it on my previous systems for quite a while. But over the time I used it less and less frequently for the mentioned reasons.

In order to check the small number of Windows software installers which I download every once in a while for malware, I use Virustotal, as suggested by phd21 in the post above.
Uploading the downloaded files to Virustotal takes some extra time, true. But Virustotal checks the uploaded files with roughly 50 antivirus products.
Virustotal does not need or have access to my system while scanning the uploaded files.

On the current systems, I have not bothered any more to install clamav at all.

Best regards,
Karl
Linux Mint 19.2 32-bit xfce Desktop, Total Commander 9.22a 32-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)

miketurn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by miketurn » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:31 pm

@phd21
Needless to say, there are many good posts on this topic in this forum already, if you search for them.
Hey, hey, hey no need to live up to the acronym your name suggests :D
Thank you for your post. I will have to read that link a little more, just skimmed it.
My main confusion / concern is that I know there are antivirus programs that are made for both operating systems by the same companies (AVG, Comodo, Kaspersky, etc) I would be scared to use them only because I feel that they would be designed to scan for viruses that would affect the OS that they were designed for.

@karlchen
Yeah, that is what I was thinking, that is correct, I am not a fan of antivirus software that takes over your computer and scans and monitors everything, looking for software this is more specific to scanning what I ask it to.
I have never used clamtk, but it doesn't sound to great, per your advice, so I will probably stay away from it at the moment.

You both recommended the VirusTotal website, I have actually heard of this one, someone recommended this to me a while back for a different, yet similar situation I was having. I had only used it in the per URL one specific file at a time type of use.
Love how it uses so many different pieces of antivirus software, the thing I didn't like was a little too specific, having to focus on one file and or I guess website at a time. I overlooked the ability to upload to their site, or probably just ignored it at the time because even now I don't know if I would want to have to download, then upload, then scan for the amount of times I download.
Again nothing I download is anything I would not want the site to know about, but the process seems like it would get tedious having to do this over and over.

Hmmm, something I will have to think about.
I have never been a big fan of antivurs software, you either have to download new versions and install them all the time, or you have to allow an unknown company control / access of your computer to update for you, which in essence sounds like a virus in it and of itself :)

Anyways thank you guys for your responses, any other advice is still welcome.

Return to “Software & Applications”