Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
avinator
Level 1
Level 1

Watching netflix on 18.2

Postby avinator » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:32 am

How does one watch netflix on Firefox? I can t seem to get it to work.
I tried it on both Opera and Vivaldi without success ... something about missing codecs..and silverlight

mr_raider
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Watching netflix on 18.2

Postby mr_raider » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:50 am

chrome works

avinator
Level 1
Level 1

Postby avinator » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:28 am

mr_raider wrote:chrome works

How come the others don’t? Just curios

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:55 am

avinator wrote:How does one watch netflix on Firefox? I can t seem to get it to work.
I tried it on both Opera and Vivaldi without success ... something about missing codecs..and silverlight

I got it to work with FF >= v50.

Poke around in the "Preferences" ("Content", I think), until you see "Play DRM content"; turn that on. Then it's supposed to automagically download the "Google Widevine" plugin, which might take a minute or so. Check your addons/plugins to see that it's installed (plugins = icedtea and flash, etc., not regular addons). You don't need silverlight.

Edit: with "Play DRM" checked and "Widevine" showing up in "plugins", you should be ready to see netflix movies.

I'm back to running v47, which doesn't have the "DRM content", so I'm kinda guessing at where the DRM stuff was.

Here's a poor article about it:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-drm
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

tomljones0000
Level 1
Level 1

Postby tomljones0000 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:47 am

have all that... but it seems like Netflix (Firefox 32bit) will work for a month or so then stops and works again i think it is when Firefox upgrades

Joe2Shoe
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Joe2Shoe » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 pm

Netflix on Firefox worked BEFORE upgrading to Firefox 57 Quantum. Now, when I click on a movie to play, I get the red circle spinning around forever.
Google Chrome works fine.
DRM is enabled, Google Widevine & the pepperflash plugins are installed.
Photo of "circling": https://www.dropbox.com/s/hxpmvdjvfoj6d ... n.png?dl=0
So, for now I'll just watch Netflix on Chrome.
Thanks Firefox team. If you fix it, I'll donate again. If not.......
"Tolerance is the refuge of men without conviction."
"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire

mwbworld
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mwbworld » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:47 am

What I found in 57 was when I was on the site I had to enable the permission for the site. By clicking up to the left of the location where there's an icon for show site information. Click that and then click the arrow to the right and then click more information. Then permissions for the site and then choose always for Flash permissions for that site.

That worked for me. I just did that for each site I trusted to just run flash (certain video streaming sites.) I"ve been watching netflix just fine.

Of course, YMMV.
- Michael

Joe2Shoe
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Joe2Shoe » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:05 pm

Thanks for the info. But, it doesn't work for me. I used to love Firefox, now it's a big PITA. I will keep searching in the wilderness.

Joe2Shoe
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Joe2Shoe » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:07 pm

FF57 Quantum is one big PITA. Trying to play Netflix videos, it says that "pulseaudio" needs to be installed, which it is already installed.
ALSA is no longer supported by the Mozilla team. Ha! ALSA worked fine before, why change it to pulseaudio and create countless new issues? Beats me.
If I don't firejail/sandbox FF57, the Netflix video plays with no sound. If I firejail/sandbox FF57, the video won't play, just the red circle having fun, forever.
And, yes, I installed the firejail/sandbox fix for pulseaudio, no go. I tried numerous fixes, but still no go.
So, I uninstalled FF57 from this laptop, and continue to use Chrome & Chromium, until FF fixes their mess.
It seems that Mozilla has lost their minds, or dementia is quickly setting in.
Well, back to the drawing board.

Spearmint2
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Spearmint2 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:55 pm

So, people go to Netflix but blame Firefox for that site's problems? Hardly seems fair. Especially since other sites haven't such problems.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Joe2Shoe
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Joe2Shoe » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:10 pm

Spearmint2,
Yes, I know that Netflix has been dragging their heels for many years in allowing Linux users to view movies via Netflix, even when I (and millions of others) pay them my hard-earned $$$ to watch Netflix movies. They are not fair, in any sense. I read somewhere that the CEO of Netflix was on the board of M$, so go figure. They get to decide who watches Netflix, not the paying customers.
I used to have to apply many work-arounds on Linux just to watch Netflix. What a drag. Then with FF 56 or so, you could finally watch Netflix on Linux, but still with annoyances.
I finally uninstalled FF 57 Quantum, uninstalled PulseAudio, then rebooted, installed FF 57 Quantum, then installed PulseAudio again, and one out of three times now, I can watch Netflix on FF/Linux without any issues. I have three laptops with LM18.3 Cinnamon and they all have this issue. They (Netflix) still have quite a ways to go.
There's no excuse for this, it's just simply a control issue. So, I guess only M$, Apple and Android are entitled.
Thanks for your assistance.

Flemur
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Flemur » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:09 pm

I just got netflix going with FF 57 after two hassles:

- had to turn off privoxy (ad blocker), and probably ublock also. Then I got picture and no sound.

- I'm running FF without pulseaudio, so had to set the "security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist" as here (and restart):
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=257818&hilit=apulse
If you're running pulseaudio you shouldn't need to mess with it.

But I could NOT get netflix going with "brave" v19.9 (a chrome hack).

I got a nice error message/number - they setup the page so you can't copy it! Gee, thanks! - and netflix suggested a (chrome) fix that didn't work.
Mint 18.3 Xfce/fluxbox/pulse-less
Xubuntu 17.10/fluxbox/pulse-less
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Software & Applications”