[SOLVED] Question: How do you reduce video file size with Minimal Loss of Quality

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] Question: How do you reduce video file size with Minimal Loss of Quality

Post by sphyrth »

Okay, so I'm new to this Video Editing gig. So I don't know why my processed videos get a file size from 300 MB to 1 GB even for just CUTTING OUT PARTS of the original.

The simplest solution I got is to use a software - something like HandBrake. But if you guys have other suggestions, please do so.
Last edited by sphyrth on Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.
Schultz
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Question: How do you reduce video file size with Minimal Loss of Quality

Post by Schultz »

Handbrake is good, but you will be reencoding the video, so there will be loss of quality. However, if you use a high enough bitrate the untrained eye won't notice a difference. I think you can use Ffmpeg to edit out parts of the video without reencoding, so you won't lose any quality going that route.

So what is your main concern, reducing file size, or minimal loss of quality? And out of curiosity, what was the size of the original file, when you ended up with a new file that was 300 megs?
sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth »

Thanks for the answer!
Schultz wrote:So what is your main concern, reducing file size, or minimal loss of quality?
I guess you could say Reducing File Size.
I did a little experiment:
I recorded myself playing using SimpleScreenRecorder. The output is from the Default MP4 Settings for Youtube.
I used OpenShot cut out some parts to make the video length shorter. No effects, whatsoever. Just slices and joins.
Exported it with settings as close to the original format as I could (I'm assuming that this is where I tripped).
And out of curiosity, what was the size of the original file, when you ended up with a new file that was 300 megs?
Original Video: 15 minutes, 600 MB
Processed Video: 10 minutes 1.1 GB
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

The reason your file size increased like that is very simple. The preset you used set the bit rate much higher than the input.

The only Linux editor I know of that will edit just using the bit rate, resolution etc of the input file is Avidemux. All the other ones I know of use presets that define the output resolution, bitrate etc, and that can be inconvenient. In Avidemux you'd just set the output audio and video to Copy. Openshot et al don't have this.

If you're joining videos and you want to do so without re encoding they have to have the same exact format, resolution etc.

If you're editing h264/AVC format video you can only cut on key frames. There aren't any free editors that will do smart cutting ... ie. cut on non key frames ... and none in Linux.

Digital video is a lot more complex than almost everyone thinks at first.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi "sphyrth"

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Sometimes just using a video converter to convert the existing video format to another will reduce the video size significantly, like converting from ".avi", or ".mp4", to ".mkv", or visa-versa.

See these links for more information:
https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... brWGeWqR0g

If you also need to cut out portions of a video, then that too should reduce the video size. There are many options for doing this, including Avidemux, all video editors (Kdenlive, Openshot, Shotcut, etc...), and specific applications like VidCutter, Lossless cut, etc...
"linux + smart cutting cut on non key frames"
https://www.google.com/search?client=op ... 4i6eYh7mRI

"Lossless cut" - Change ffmpeg argument order so that it correctly cuts at keyframes #13
https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut/pull/13

There are some really good posts already in this forum on trimming videos, and other video editing tasks.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Petermint
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Petermint »

Compare the output to the input before throwing away the input. Static content will compress better than a car chase sequence. Look at commercial DVDs and Bluray disks. The cheap disks have lots of junk, "extras", on the same disk instead of supplying a second disk. When you hit movement, the hero jumping out of the aeroplane without a parachute, the cheap video shows movement artefacts due to the excessive compression.

Heavy lossy compression works for mostly still images but not movement. Experiment with different levels of compression. You might use a high level for your videos of your cat sleeping and a low level for your surfing videos.

PS, for cat videos:
n = number of frames in the cat video.
Use your editor to delete frames 1 to n unless the cat is riding a board on a killer wave. :D
Last edited by Petermint on Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sphyrth »

Thanks guys! You gave me enough info to start heading in the right direction.
memek
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Question: How do you reduce video file size with Minimal Loss of Quality

Post by memek »

playing with h264 encoder setting in handbrake also greatly reduce file size but still has high quality video

Return to “Software & Applications”