Issue with playing certain Flash games on Chromium

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Issue with playing certain Flash games on Chromium

Post by melody5697 »

Maybe it would make more sense to post this on the Google Chrome support forum, but I think I'll be treated better if I post it here for reasons that I will explain below.
I updated Chromium very early Sunday morning (probably around 2 AM). I use Opera most of the time, but I use Chromium for my side account on Neopets. (That's a virtual pet site. The site needs updating, so it still uses Flash for almost everything.) Neopets has a place called the Games Graveyard where you can play old games but you can't earn neopoints (the virtual currrency) from them anymore. Here's a link:
http://www.neopets.com/halloween/gamegraveyard.phtml
Before I updated Chromium, all these games worked fine. But now, when I try to play them, it asks me to download an SWF file instead of loading the game. I went to the NeoBoards (the forum on Neopets) and asked if anyone else with Chrome or Chromium was having the same problem. People told me I didn't have Flash Player enabled. I explained that that's definitely NOT the problem because I have no problem with Flash games that aren't in the Games Graveyard, but I was told that I'm wrong and that IS the problem. That's why I decided to post about it here. I was annoyed and offended that they basically accused me of being so computer illiterate that I think that something is working when it's not. I'm afraid that I would have the same problem on a forum about Chrome/Chromium. I figured you people would realize that I'm not some idiot who can barely use a computer because I can install Linux Mint without help and I can even do manual partitioning without destroying my computer. My parents started letting me use the computer whenever I wanted for as long as I wanted without supervision when I was six and I got administrative privileges when I was nine or ten, after all. I also got some more useful answers to my thread. One person said that she was using Chrome on Windows and was having the same problem. Another person said, "it seems that it is launched inside -disallowed_word- so it is not recognized as flash content." (There are strict filters on Neopets because it's used by children and they can't have adults trying to talk to nine-year-olds on other websites, and apparently whatever she was saying it was launched inside was filtered.) After that, she said, "uh let my put it a way that won't get filtered. The coding isn't done so the script works in all browsers." I don't know if she's right or not. But in any case, I figured I should go to an outside forum and ask for help. What's the problem? Is there any way to fix it, or am I just stuck until the next update? Or is it something that will probably never be fixed and I'll just have to use a different browser?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Issue with playing certain Flash games on Chromium

Post by MrEen »

I don't use Chrome/Chromium but I'll bet it's just a setting got changed when it last updated. The site works fine in Firefox.

Have a look through the Options or Preferences or Hamburger Menu or whatever they use. :)

Good luck.
melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

MrEen wrote:I don't use Chrome/Chromium but I'll bet it's just a setting got changed when it last updated. The site works fine in Firefox.

Have a look through the Options or Preferences or Hamburger Menu or whatever they use. :)

Good luck.
Looking through the settings was the first thing I did after I noticed the problem. I may not be as knowledgeable as most people on this forum, but looking through the settings is a very obvious thing to do. There weren't any settings that looked like they could possibly be related. And as I explained, Flash Player works fine with everything else...
melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

I looked more carefully at the settings. There are a few I missed, but they're not the problem. It's set to ask to run flash. The alternative is to completely block flash. So that's definitely not it.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Well, I installed Chromium and could not get the games to work either. Sorry I can't offer anything else.
Aleron Ives
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aleron Ives »

melody5697 wrote:I looIt's set to ask to run flash. The alternative is to completely block flash.
If there's no option to run Flash automatically, then that would indicate that you don't have the latest Flash version, I think. When a Flash update comes out, you are forced to confirm the use of Flash each time until you update, at least with Mozilla-based browsers.
melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

Aleron Ives wrote:
melody5697 wrote:I looIt's set to ask to run flash. The alternative is to completely block flash.
If there's no option to run Flash automatically, then that would indicate that you don't have the latest Flash version, I think. When a Flash update comes out, you are forced to confirm the use of Flash each time until you update, at least with Mozilla-based browsers.
First of all, Chrome and Chromium have their own version of Flash called Pepperflash. This updates through the update manager. I know because I've seen it listed in the updates. It should be up-to-date. Second of all, as I keep telling everyone, everything else that uses Flash works fine. Why is it that nobody believes me? Does everyone really think I'm that stupid? I'm 20, I've been spending a lot of time time on the computer since I was six, and I'm smarter than 98% of the population. Third, I read an article that said that Chrome and Chromium are phasing out Flash (which Adobe will no longer support in 2020). Now it asks to run it the first time you try to use it on a particular website. This doesn't mean that it's out-of-date. Finally, IT ISN'T ASKING ME TO RUN FLASH PLAYER. IT IS ASKING ME TO DOWNLOAD AND SAVE AN SWF FILE. I KNOW WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE WHEN IT ASKS ME TO RUN FLASH PLAYER AND IT'S COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

hi melody...i dont know if this helps or not but got this quote from wikipedia...

"SWF (/ˈswɪf/ SWIF)[3] is an abbreviation for small web format, an Adobe Flash file format used for multimedia, vector graphics and ActionScript.[4] Originating with FutureWave Software, then transferred to Macromedia, and then coming under the control of Adobe, SWF files can contain animations or applets of varying degrees of interactivity and function. They may also occur in programs, commonly browser games, using ActionScript.

Programmers can generate SWF files from within several Adobe products, including Flash, Flash Builder (an IDE), Adobe Animate (the replacement for Adobe Flash as of Feb. 2016), and After Effects, as well as through MXMLC, a command-line application compiler which forms part of the freely-available Flex SDK. Although Adobe Illustrator can generate SWF format files through its "export" function, it cannot open or edit them. Other than using Adobe products, one can build SWFs with open-source Motion-Twin ActionScript 2 Compiler (MTASC), the open-source Ming library and the free-software suite SWFTools. Various other third-party programs can also produce files in this format, such as Multimedia Fusion 2, Captivate and SWiSH Max.

The term "SWF" has originated as an abbreviation for ShockWave Flash.[5] This usage was changed[by whom?] to the backronym Small Web Format to eliminate confusion with a different technology, Shockwave, from which SWF derived.[6][7] There is no official resolution to the acronym "SWF" by Adobe.[8]"

hope this might be of some help...DAMIEN
melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:hi melody...i dont know if this helps or not but got this quote from wikipedia...

"SWF (/ˈswɪf/ SWIF)[3] is an abbreviation for small web format, an Adobe Flash file format used for multimedia, vector graphics and ActionScript.[4] Originating with FutureWave Software, then transferred to Macromedia, and then coming under the control of Adobe, SWF files can contain animations or applets of varying degrees of interactivity and function. They may also occur in programs, commonly browser games, using ActionScript.

Programmers can generate SWF files from within several Adobe products, including Flash, Flash Builder (an IDE), Adobe Animate (the replacement for Adobe Flash as of Feb. 2016), and After Effects, as well as through MXMLC, a command-line application compiler which forms part of the freely-available Flex SDK. Although Adobe Illustrator can generate SWF format files through its "export" function, it cannot open or edit them. Other than using Adobe products, one can build SWFs with open-source Motion-Twin ActionScript 2 Compiler (MTASC), the open-source Ming library and the free-software suite SWFTools. Various other third-party programs can also produce files in this format, such as Multimedia Fusion 2, Captivate and SWiSH Max.

The term "SWF" has originated as an abbreviation for ShockWave Flash.[5] This usage was changed[by whom?] to the backronym Small Web Format to eliminate confusion with a different technology, Shockwave, from which SWF derived.[6][7] There is no official resolution to the acronym "SWF" by Adobe.[8]"

hope this might be of some help...DAMIEN
That only gives me a better understanding of what an SWF file is. I'm not asking what an SWF file is. I want to know why Chromium won't load the games and how to fix it.
melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

I guess I just need to go to a forum about Chrome and Chromium. People there may be more likely to be able to help me. I didn't want people to assume that I'm almost as bad as Clara Oswald... But apparently posting here didn't prevent that.
Aleron Ives
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Aleron Ives »

If every other website still uses Flash correctly, then it's probably a bug with this version of Chromium or a malformed webpage, so you'd have to either roll back to the old Chromium version that was working, file a bug report with Chromium, ask the webmaster to fix whatever's broken, or use a different browser.

You might get more help if you weren't so condescending towards your fellow forum members.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

melody5697 wrote:... Chrome and Chromium have their own version of Flash called Pepperflash. ...
Actually crome and chromium do not use the same flash, google has a side deal with Adobe so they have the best supported flash in Linux.

However, due to licensing issues, chromium does not benefit from this. It just does not work as well.

Unless you are talking about 32 bit hardware, try Chrome.

The FOSS argument for chromium is getting silly by now. There are no useable truly FOSS browsers anymore since HTML5, which has DRM embedded. The only argument for chromium left is its 32 bit capability and I wouldn't count on that lasting long.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Penn

Post by Penn »

melody5697 wrote:First of all, Chrome and Chromium have their own version of Flash called Pepperflash. This updates through the update manager. I know because I've seen it listed in the updates.
Are you sure of this? Chrome may have gone back to it (I don't really keep up on that) but last I knew they stopped developing and including it when Adobe went back to developing for Linux again.

I guess it might be relevant to know when you first installed Chrome or Chromium on you current OS.

You also mentioned browsers are phasing out Flash. That was my first thought. Second thought was maybe the more recent versions have lost their backwards compatibility.

I too test out as smarter than 98% of the public but I don't think that is relevant on this board since there are quite a few of us on here.
melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

I'm just gonna leave now so I can't be rude anymore. *crying* I just won't play the games in the Games Graveyard anymore. Sorry for wasting everyone's time...
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

Any reason you couldn't just use Firefox for that one site?
melody5697
Level 2
Level 2

Post by melody5697 »

MrEen wrote:Any reason you couldn't just use Firefox for that one site?
When you check boxes, type things, and/or select things from drop down menus, then click a link, and then go back to the previous page, everything you entered or selected on that page is gone if you're using Firefox. There's this thing on Neopets called the Neolodge. You can put your pets in there for up to 28 days at a time and they'll be cared for. But you can only put your pets in one at a time. After putting one pet in, I just click the back button, select a different pet, and click the button to put that one in the Neolodge. I repeat this for each pet. If I use Firefox, I have to select everything all over again. It's quite inconvenient. Neopets is actually the only thing I use Chromium for. I need two separate browsers because I have two accounts and using a different browser for each one is a lot more convenient than having to log out of one account and log into another. I rarely go to the Games Graveyard on my main account (which I use on Opera), but I don't want to swap the browsers because I want my main account to be on the browser that I use everything else for because it's the account I spend the most time on. On my side account, I just feed my pets, play with them, and play a game or two because we're not allowed to do anything that could give us items or neopoints on our side accounts unless it's from a random event, which we have no control over. I really should leave so I don't say anything rude again...
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

One possible workaround with Firefox, use your middle mouse button to add a pet (opens link in new tab) then go back to previous tab and repeat.

Return to “Software & Applications”