Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cdaaawg
Level 1
Level 1

Rygel server content not accessible over LAN via VLC

Postby cdaaawg » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:02 pm

I am running fully updated LM 17.3 Rosa MATE 64-bit with rygel 0.24.2-1~jensge1~trusty1 installed.

The rygel server has been working well to serve a variety of media (jpeg stills, mp3 audio and mp4 video) to a Sony blu-ray player model BDP-S3700 for viewing on a Samsung tv. However, I am unable to view any of these same files via VLC version 2.2.2 installed on a fully updated LM 18.1 Sarah MATE 64-bit laptop.

I can browse and play content served by the Rygel media server via the blu-ray player/tv combination.
I can locally browse content on the rygel server via VLC > View > Playlist > Local Netwok > Universal Plug'n'Play which, after a brief spinner, displays the directory structure and media content files.

THE PROBLEM:
I cannot browse Rygel media server content via LM 18.1/VLC client; the VLC window pane for Local Network > UPnP remains blank, without so much as a spinner indicating activity.

I do not have an endpoint firewall nor a router based firewall enabled as this a trusted LAN with no access to the internet.
I was under the impression that this version of VLC was DLNA/UPnP compliant, so should be able to browse and play content served by Rygel. If this is not the case, is there a client I can install on LM 18.1 (or 18.2) that can browse, search and play Rygel server content?

Enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl

Return to “Software & Applications”